1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Graphics: Japanese

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Hi Red! The look of the buildings is awesome, but still think you're making the roads too big :)
    it looks as if you're just representing the central part of the city, in a larger scale. Perhaps you could put a land mark in the center (like in the first one above), with a large building to the isometric north (like you did), and then imagine a number of streets connecting to the central landmark and put some buildings in those streets.

Do you make the individual buildings separately before you put them all together? Maybe I could help with placement ideas.

2. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

You're right, the roads are too big. I stick the buildings in before I do the terrain, and I had expected the sidewalks and telephone poles to take up more space than they ultimately did... so wide roads resulted (well, that's one reason; I seem to always make the streets too big anyway).

The current layout of this era is designed to give a natural progression from the last era, so I wouldn't really want to deviate from the current format too much.

But I'm definately willing to hear your suggestions. I do create each building individually. Here's the buildings I've made for this era so far:

If nothing else, I'll still move the buildings a bit closer together (although that would make the cities a bit too small.... create more buildings?). It'll look less empty once I add shadows, also.

Attached Files:

3. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Looking Great RedAlert.

The Background or "terrain" that is used to fill in between structures for Cities does not really appear as Roads to me unless they are designed in. This filled in area is simply Filled in City Background.
    Generally it is better to have the area between structures filled in so the City will look the same on any Terrain. This prevents the Game Terrain from showing between the structures.
    The edges of City "terrain" are what need to be "Blended" into what ever terrain the Cities will be seen on.

4. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Ok, thanks for the individual buildings, maybe i'll try to make something that looks as you said, a progression from the other era. Will take a look at it in the weekend.

5. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

:eek: Those are amazing! I love the telephone poles :goodjob:

6. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Ok I did a quick graphic using the buildings you provided, it doesnt have sidewalks or poles or painted roads, and its not meant to be better than the ones you showed, just wanted to try and see how it would look with the streets smaller but more numerous.

Used the following layout for the streets

Attached Files:

7. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Very nice so far Red! The colonial style building is a very nice accent, definitely shows the slow change to a more western architectural style. And I'm also loving the little signs everywhere, they look perfect at that scale. I would suggest making the amount of signs progressively more with each growth phase to underline the boost in commerce.

As for the roads, it's your call whether to scoot everything in a bit tighter or not, but I would in any case give the streets more life by giving them some kind of structure/texture so they don't seem so flat...maybe cobbled? Also maybe add some trolley rails running through them?

On the electric lines going through the city, would it be hard to maybe make them a bit taller and maybe add some horizontal masts on each of them to make them more noticeable? And of course connect them with cables?

Keep it up RA! :goodjob:

PS: I would really like to see the large building on the left with the large horizontal sign on it in either the medium or big city graphic! You could even add the antennae and other stuff on the roof. Important is the architecture which is noticeably western.

8. Vuldacon

Gen. Rommel... Although it would be Great for all Graphics Work and allow much more detail and other additions, especially for small images, if we could break the size of one pixel down to 4 smaller units, we cannot.

The Horizontal Masts for the Poles would be about all that could be done without risking ruining the image because the wires have to be 1 pixel and that is almost the size of the Poles.
    Colors could help with the illusion but again, it would probably detract from the buildings and certainly cover them more.

This is an example of the Poles with Horizontal Masts. Taller and I added a darker brown to accent the Poles and Masts more and a slightly darker light brown for the distant side masts.

You can see that just trying to make the masts at an angle for the perspective is a chore due to the small size and they cover the buildings more. Wires would seriously cover the building details.

Attached Files:

9. RedAlert

Thank you all for the help!

Thanks! I really like how you arranged the buildings (have you ever considered making city graphics? :)). Although I don't think I'm going to arrange them quite like you did, you have inspired some new ideas in my mind, so it's still a great help.

Yeah, it's about time I added a little more detail to the streets. Actually, I wasn't happy with the colours anyway, so re-doing them isn't a problem.

I can certainly do as you want with the telephone poles. Wires are a bit more tricky, for my thoughts on them, just see my response to Vuldacon's post.

And I can make that building, sure.

I think I'll be able to do the masts at the proper angle, but I do share your worries about the wires. As you say, even representing them as one pixel in width could make them too large and distracting, and it is because they should be even smaller than that that I left them out in the first place. However, I do have an idea or two that I'm going to try to see if I can't make wires work well.

10. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

LOL! I can do some copy and paste, and even some pixel editing, but your skill in making the graphics I do not have ;)
    Great! That was my intent! :)

Have to comment on this, I love what Vuldacon did with the masts, very pretty, but wont it make the scale too big?

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

12. RedAlert

I made the masts a bit smaller than Vuldacon made them; I don't think it will be a problem really.
    While we're talking about scale, I thought I'd mention that most of my buildings are actually done to different scales. For example, many of the smaller buildings are slightly larger than they would really be, and the larger buildings are slightly smaller. The trick is to make sure that the scales aren't too different to be believable.

Not much longer than a week, I'm thinking. I hope that works ok for you. :)

----------------------

Edit: Came here to post a preview. Forgot to post the preview. :hammer2:

I re-did the street colour/texture for both sizes. In the town, I added greener grass for more contrast with the duller roads, and in the city I heightened the telelphone poles a little and added some wires. The city streets are now smaller and I moved a few buildings around, but I tried to keep the overall format similar to what I had before. There are two different versions of the city, with the telephone poles on different sides. I think I like the one on the right better, but I'd like to hear others' opinions too.

13. Underpaid

Underpaid Multi units...

These are pretty sweet. When they're finished, I'll definitely use the medieval and industrial ones for my Asian cities. What will you do for the "modern" ones?

14. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

I like the one with the poles to the left, but it's your prerogative. And I think the streets should be darker.

15. Vuldacon

Looking Very Good RedAlert... What I posted was not meant for any sort of final image...very quick and meant merely to convey the idea and problems involved.

16. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Way much better :)
    I wish you could do industrial and maybe modern sets for the other culture groups, so we could make Firaxis' style obsolete ;)

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

18. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Exactly what I had in mind!!! Man RA, you always know how to meet my demands bwahahahahaha! The cables looks stunning, it truly gives the graphics the bustling look I was looking for. And on which one to take, I also think the left one looks better. And I don't think the masts take away from the city, it's one of many accents that help to make the city look perfect. Keep it up man! :goodjob:

When you get to the modern era, I will give you images again of course.

19. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

A strategically located tree that goes through bare branches, blossoms, summer green, & autumn color would be a nice subtle indicator of era change.
    I can provide you with a couple of reference pictures from Asian art (like ukiyo-e). I'd even be willing to do a protype for you, if you'd like.

20. Vuldacon

Looking Good RedAlert... the streets could be less red or more toward neutral but that depends on what look you are going for.