1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Graphics: Japanese

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I can't add anything other than :goodjob:

2. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

I'm working away on the metropolis. Life has got a little busier lately and I'm not as far as I was expecting. Still, all the difficult buildings are completed, and my current insomnia is providing some unexpected extra time for working.

Thanks everybody for the constant stream of comments, you are all a big help and motivator!

A couple of questions:

- I would like to stick the castle from the medieval era in the metropolis, and I have a place to fit it. Should I?

- I'm at a loss for what to do about city walls. Are there any nifty Japanese fortresses from the era I can take a look at, or should I just cut 'n paste from the Firaxis Asian cities?

The modern ones will be all skyscrapers and the like. I made an ancient era too, I just noticed the preview for it is down... I'll fix that.

Left, eh? You guys are weird. :p
    Spoiler :
    Just kidding, left it is!

I'm glad I have been able to hit the spot so far, G.R. :)

In any case, thanks for your help.

I think I'm finally getting good at making industrial eras. If only I could find the time....

Yes, please! :please:
    I should be fine with making the trees from scratch, but if you wanted to do a prototype, it wouldn't be unwelcome.

I'm trying to come up with something that can bridge the gap between the yellow of the middle ages and the dark grey that will be in the modern era. I'll see about both suggestions.

Thankyou, Virote. :)

3. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

4. wolf_brother

wolf_brother King

Because that looks funny, and its off-putting to have city styles change so radically.

5. Vuldacon

wolf brother... I believe you have been "Civilizationized" in that train of thought :)

City streets did change from the Ancient through the Modern Eras and many of the buildings as well. I believe it is important to keep the general appearance and the buildings that "stand the test of time" in order to maintain the basic cultural appearance. Changes are needed to reflect the Era differences and adjusting streets is far from Radical, it is a reality :)

6. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Considering that castles are still very present in lots of (big) Japanese cities, it actually makes very good sense to add a castle in the city graphic. I'm very curious to see how it looks (maybe give it a slightly aged look?).

I could get you some pictures but in the end, it's all going to look the same as the city walls you have for the medieval era. I would suggest just using them again but making them darker and slightly greenish in color (moss?) in some areas and possibly deteriorating in others. Here's a good idea of what I mean.

7. RedAlert

I can appreciate both of these point of views, but in this case, the two are one: I want to bridge. :)

Hmmm... If I'm reading wolf_brother's comment correctly, I think he was opposing making the colours "as wanted" (which I, and I'm guessing he, took to mean not necessarily a plausible or consistent development between eras*), but probably not opposing changes of the nature you described in your next post.

*And from your next post, it appears to me that that isn't really what you meant. wolf_brother is free to correct me here, but I get the feeling that his view and yours are actually more similar than either of you thought, and that your second post is a good approximation of both those views (and mine as well).

Thanks again! I tried to age the castle a little bit by greening the bottom and making the rest a bit duller and darker. I'll try the same thing with the walls.

----------------------

Metropolis, take one.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

One "word": :goodjob:

9. Vuldacon

RedAlert... They look Excellent...
    I am sure you want to make final adjustments over all but they appear basically ready to "Go to Press" :lol:

10. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Agreed! :)

11. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

:goodjob:

12. Underpaid

Underpaid Multi units...

Epic! I can't help but wonder, how will you handle the walls for this era?

13. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

That's how! ;)

Wow, absolutely brilliant RA!!! And you did the building I asked you to!!! I am happy! :D

14. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

El Justo had a very good idea how to handle it in AoI.v4 that will be slightly modified in CCM. :)

And no, it´s not traffic-lights around the city that always show red to prevent tanks from entering the city forever (as I mentioned in a post some years ago). :)

15. Vuldacon

Civinator... actually it was my idea in order to not have to use normal Walls. El justo did not want Walls at all in AoI as a matter of preferrence but the different things used in place of "walls" can certainly be used for specific Eras as well as use Normal Walls for other Eras :)

16. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Vuldacon, that was another great idea you had. :goodjob:

Back to the maintheme: RedAlert, I can´t wait to see how your city looks in gameplay. :)

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

But maybe a Chinese set with the modern "walls" being one guy standing in the road holding up a column of tanks? ( :joke: )

Best,

Oz

18. RedAlert

New preview time: Industrial walled town. Like the castle in the metropolis, I aged the castle and the walls a bit compared to the medieval era. No shadows yet.

I'm ready to start the modern era, assuming the above is acceptable. :)

19. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Yes, very acceptable.

20. wolf_brother

wolf_brother King