City Graphics: Japanese

RedAlert

Love one another
This will serve as a development thread for a set of Japanese cities Gen. Rommel has requested of me. There are to be four eras, from ancient to modern. I believe the first era should approximate the Jomon or Yayoi periods, so GR, if you could provide me with some pictures, I'll get started. :)

Edit: Here's a new preview of the first three eras:

For some ideas on middle and industrial eras, I'd suggest looking up pics of Hiroshige's "36 Views of Edo" and visiting www.orientalarchitecture.com for ideas. Those two sources were the ones I used for my Japanese city set. :)

This thread makes me very excited for the impending city set! I want to thank you again for even taking up my request, and if there's ever a way I can make it up to you, I will gladly do so.

On to the pics! I was able to gather quite a few images of various Jomon and Yayoi period houses/huts which should give you a good idea of how a Japanese village during this time period looked.

Yayoi/Jomon Period Buildings:

Various Village Huts:
Spoiler :

Rice Storage:
Spoiler :

Guard Tower:
Spoiler :

Some Kind of Monument:
Spoiler :

Pictures of a Village:
Spoiler :

I wasn't too sure if these also directly fall under the Jomon/Yayoi style architecture, so if Ogedei could reaffirm this or not, it would be greatly appreciated:

Spoiler :

Ogedei - Thank you for that link! That's a really useful site. I hope these Japanese cities turn out half as good as yours did. :)

Gen. Rommel - Excellent! That gives me a perfect idea of what to aim for, and the more pictures, the better.

Thanks for the pictures guys, I'm not exactly familiar with Japan and this really helps me out.

Ok, I've done the town size of the first era. What do you think?

[Edit: Pic removed]

Red Alert...wow, just wow!!! That city looks amazing so far! I actually feared that it would be hard to get the akward shapes of some of the huts to look good at civ-scale but you mastered that with ease. I mean, you were able to reproduce the Yayoi/Jomon architecture perfect. Seriously man, this thing is mind-bogglingly good. :goodjob:

Don't get me wrong, it's great. If I could have one suggestion though, then it would be to add some more texture to the front house' roof. It looks a bit cartoony.

:)

Don't get me wrong, it's great. If I could have one suggestion though, then it would be to add some more texture to the front house' roof. It looks a bit cartoony.

I think it may be too hard to try and texturize the straw look even more than Red Alert has already done. Personally, I don't mind it one bit and I know exactly which house that's supposed to be:

Various Village Huts:
Spoiler :

It's your call whether you want to revise it or not Red Alert.

:bump:

Any updates on this? I can probably use it too in the new mod on starting to work on.

Simply beautiful work RedAlert! I voted for your Indian cities in the last competition and will probably vote for your Japanese cities in the next if they all look this good! I think you have an excellent handle on city making! Please keep up the great work! :goodjob:

:bump:

Any updates on this? I can probably use it too in the new mod on starting to work on.
I didn't want to be the first to nag, so I waited for someone else to ask the question! :D

But while we're at it, I hope that RedAlert still plans on finishing this. It looks too damn good to not finish! :goodjob:
Ask, and ye shall receive ;)
Sorry for the delay!
It looks good to me. :)
Red Alert...wow, just wow!!! That city looks amazing so far! I actually feared that it would be hard to get the akward shapes of some of the huts to look good at civ-scale but you mastered that with ease. I mean, you were able to reproduce the Yayoi/Jomon architecture perfect. Seriously man, this thing is mind-bogglingly good. :goodjob:
One "word": :goodjob:

-Oz
Simply beautiful work RedAlert! I voted for your Indian cities in the last competition and will probably vote for your Japanese cities in the next if they all look this good! I think you have an excellent handle on city making! Please keep up the great work! :goodjob:
Holy cow! Thanks guys :goodjob:
And thank you for the vote Gary! I haven't seen how the competition turned out yet, so I'll have to take a look.

:)
I think it may be too hard to try and texturize the straw look even more than Red Alert has already done. Personally, I don't mind it one bit and I know exactly which house that's supposed to be:

It's your call whether you want to revise it or not Red Alert.

Here's the full first era, then. I fixed (?) that one building.

[Edit: Pic removed]
Any good?

EDIT: Post #1500! [party] This is SPARTAAA!!! x5

Hell YEAH!!! You are the god of civ city graphics RedAlert! :worship:

Just tell me when you're ready to do the next era and I'll post the according pics up. ;)

RedAlert said:
And thank you for the vote Gary! I haven't seen how the competition turned out yet, so I'll have to take a look.

Just know that you and Ares were the reason why I withheld my vote. I could't choose between two works of such beautiful art and just took the easy way out and didn't vote at all.....:blush:

Now that's just lovely! :)
Hell YEAH!!! You are the god of civ city graphics RedAlert! :worship:

Just tell me when you're ready to do the next era and I'll post the according pics up. ;)
Wow.. Thanks!! I'm ready to start on the next era right now. I Hope to get it done a little faster, too. ;)

Just know that you and Ares were the reason why I withheld my vote. I could't choose between two works of such beautiful art and just took the easy way out and didn't vote at all.....:blush:
Hey, that's ok. I think that terrain set was a clear winner, but I'm flattered that so many people put my work on par with Ares'. And with Ogedei, Varwnos, and Spacer's graphics to choose from too, I'm surprised I got as many votes as I did.

Top Bottom