1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Growth tips

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ragindrunk, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ragindrunk

ragindrunk Chieftain

I always seem to have trouble growing my cities. I like to play tall because I don't like having to micro manage a ton of cities. The problem is I can never get my cities above 30 usually.

Should I just be prioritizing growth or hammers early on? When is it worthwhile to build a trade post vs a lumbermill/farm? Any tips on city management/tile improvements would be awesome.

2. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Getting over 30pop is not effortless by any means. Plains tiles suck for it, so if you start on a bunch of plains tiles either reroll the map or move your settler. Greasslands on a river is all that is needed, getting a super food really helps as well.

you want early growth, so finish tradition as fast as possible. I work nothing but the best food tiles until I am at least 5 pop, at which point I will often start working a food/hammer tile like horses or stone. Once I hit ~12 pop I start to work a mine because that is about the time things take longer to make. I avoid it if possible though. I prefer to work nothing but my best food tiles until I am out of them, and then let my city grow into the hammers.

make a shrine a high priority and get fertility rights. This should be the go to pantheon if you intend to play tall, and any other pantheon needs strong justification. So say you got a desert start with Cathy, are you really going to make use of desert folklore? Probably not.

Prioritize techs that give growth, the wheel for water mills, and civil service as quickly as possible. Fertilizer if off the science tech path, make an effort to swing down and get it.

Building settlers in the cap has a long term effect, if you build more than two accept that you have to waste a caravan on food to make up for it.

Make a major effort to get "We Love the King Days." This is probably the single most important thing after fertility rights and aqueducts.

Riverside forests should be chopped to rush settlers, then farmed. I only build lumber mills on hammer starved cities. Trading post jungles always...

It just takes discipline to let things build slowly, there is nothing in your early build order that needs to be build fast.. Sometimes I settle a city that does not have good food in the 1ring, I hammer focus those to get a granary up.

3. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

joshua gives great advice. I'll fill in some more. Plan your happiness! Get happiness buildings/trade for luxes/ally mercantiles in time so you don't fall into unhappiness. Never neglect CS quests, maritimes and mercantiles provide the food and happiness you need to grow at lightning speed. Wonders like Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens and Petra are great but whether you can have them depends on difficulty and opponents. Remember to use food cargo ships if possible.

Edit: Read the OP again and I feel a bit stupid. This wasn't really what you were looking for. I think balancing production vs growth is often a sort of gut feeling. The absolute best way to learn is through experience