City Guarding Strategy?

Which units do you use to guard your city?

How many units do you use per city?

Durng what eras do you use what units?

I generally use Archer and Spearman in very early games, then a pikeman, and two longbowmen, and if I have money to spare, City Guards from Xionn's Fortification addon.

In later games a machine gunner, and infantry are pretty good defense.

Early game: Archers/Longbows and Spearmen/Pikemen if the AI I am defending against has Horses (generally does). Interior cities guarded only by Archers/Longbows, but have a stack of units strategically put for optimal defense (I do not play Island-based maps).

Late game: Infantry with AA Gun/SAM for air defense and one police squad for spy defense for border cities.

Low defense:
1 archery unit.
1 spear unit.
1 mounted unit.

Medium = 200% of low.
High = 300% of low.

Counter espionage units according to what I find needed.

Always defending my fishing boats with at least 1 battle ship.
Defending coastal cities with 2 battle ships and more if needed.

As I play rather warmongerer style, I have to use a whole strategy to avoid getting invaded while my army is elsewhere (mostly developped on 2.7) :

I rather try to spread my first cities around the capital, and, if possible, keep several (varrying with map size, and strength of neighbours/worst ennemies, at least 4-5 to have an impact on an ennemy stack, on a large map) mobile units (move>2) in the capital. As attack stacks usually comprise several siege units, infantry will do the job fine (but if you level a mobile unit to level 3/4 and up, transfer it to attack stacks). This will allow speedy reinforcements where needed in my territory, be it for improvement defense or counterattacking an ennemy stack (best is to make sure you'll be able to get back to a city afterward).

When you spread a little more, you just have to choose strategical centers in your empire to position your mobile units.

Standard defense for cities will comprise 2 to 3 units in non-sensible cities, and 4 to 5 on the frontline. Not counting the mobile units.

If a AI stack of doom threatens a city, whether regroup as many units as possible in the city, leaving only two units in each neighbouring city, or abandon it and try to regroup elsewhere ( this can be done in this mod, 'cause buildings don't disappear at the first invasion, so you won't loose that much if you temporarily fall back)

Always keep an up-to-date road network between your cities, with roads going through the shortest way possible between each and every city.

I mostly put 2 archer/crossbow/rifle/musketman, pike/spearman, and some siege units per city. And in my Capital I put an extra mounted/tank unit(with a large army I build up for my next invasions). I also like to keep a large defencive(mostly archer/rifle and siege units) force stationed just near the border between me and the other civ I'm at war(or just about to war with) to try to block from any possible attack.

I usually use 2 guards from Afforress'es big collection of mods, 1 with first strikes, 2nd with city guard and Medic I. If the city is on a frontline, there's 3-4 arhery units. I keep ~4-5 mobile units as Humakty to quickly move them around and flank attack siege units. Also I am usually on Conscription, thus in case of danger (I try not to build roads near my borders and leave forests there to slow horses) I am usually able to get 3-4 free defenders via DRAFT from nearest cities when an enemy stack comes.

Everyone is much more elaborate than me. I keep a single skirmisher and a spy in each city and maybe a stack for rapid deployment somewhere in the empire, or maybe I just build stuff real quick if I have enemies on my borders.

Which units do you use to guard your city?

How many units do you use per city?

Durng what eras do you use what units?

I tend to keep two archers and 1 spearman in early days.

I then go to Two longbowman and 1 Pikeman.

I adjust as the game progresses and if I"m near an aggressive AI then I usually built a fort right outside of the city limits and stock it with a loaded up to date military unit that can quickly be called into action if needed.

Top Bottom