City Index + City Plans

DMOC

Mathematician
Last edit: February 28, 2009 - 8:30 PM (GMT -5)

TEAM SATURN - CITY INDEX + CITY PLANS

I was browsing our team forum here and noticed that we didn't have one clear, coherent thread where we could discuss all of our city options and have a look at all of our current cities and try to specialize them. We do have a turn discussion thread (a great idea, I might add), but that thread is basically for discussing turns and doesn't go in great detail about future city sites and city specialization. I'm hoping that this thread can sort of do this job, and people can reference to this thread when determing what tile improvements we want to build near a city.

Our current cities:​
  1. Saturn (Capital: Founded Turn 0/4000 BC -- Hybrid) Plan for the city: For now, it looks like the city will be serving as a hybrid. It's not a fantastic commerce city, nor a production city, nor a great person city, but it can do fairly well in all three "departments." It's early-game job will be to try and complete the Oracle and, after that, spit out some settlers. At the moment (turn 40ish), we'd like the city to keep working it's 2 floodplain cottages as well as the crabs.

2. Titan. (Founded Turn 55/1800 BC -- Hybrid) The city build will be a monument first, followed by an immortal. The granary can always be finished later (we built a granary for 1 turn because we anticipated getting the Oracle, which we didn't). We will be cottaging this city, as we can never have enough commerce and we, as a financial civ, should play our strengths anyway. The hills will be mined. Worker actions for this city are listed here. Titan will build a library after it completes 2 or 3 immortals that are necessary for defense and exploration.

3. Rhea. (Founded Turn 65/1400 BC -- Commerce) This city is clearly a commerce city and all of its floodplains should be cottaged. The initial city build will be a monument (for culture) and then a library (to increase science). No whips should be used unless in an emergency, becuase as DaveMcW's cottage article says, working the cottages and growing the city is more important than whipping (at least, in most cases ;)). Another benefit to this city is that it is very close to the capital, so there are less maintenance costs. A good discussion about this city can be found in this thread.

Future city plans:​
  1. Projected city name: Iapetus. Our fourth city will probably be near the crabs, copper, and silver resources. As of now, it seems like the best city sites are 1NW of the copper or 1E of the crabs. Again, more exploration is needed for this city. If we do found a city here, it will likely be another hybrid since the silver can provide commerce, but the copper mines and other hills will provide production.

2. Projected city name: Dione. Our fifth city will probably be 1S of the northern silk to the SW of the capital. This will be a production city, with 10 hills and plenty of grasslands to support food. The pigs are also a great asset.

3. Projected city name: Tethys. To be announced.

4. Projected city name: Enceladus. To be announced.

5. Projected city name: Mimas. To be announced.

------------------------------​

So, does everyone like the idea of having a thread like this where we can discuss how to specialize our cities as well as determine where we should build cities and in what order?

I will, hopefully, be updating this regularly with new information. In the future, I may include several screenshots of some of our cities and nearby maps for planning purposes. You can always check the "last edit" note that I have included at the top of the thread to see if I have made an edit.

~DMOC

Thanks, this seems like a good idea. It'll probably become more useful as we get more cities to manage. For now though, we can certainly use this thread to discuss build choices and potential city sites. :)

Definately good idea.

Preliminarily I also like the idea of moving horse city to NE from horses. This would preserve 1 forest for chopping and make the city more like a production center. I would first build monument and then few immortals there. As you said final decision of the location is not yet possible before we see if we can found good city to utilise other flood plain tiles.

i guess the third city will take the desert hill, which is in reach of the oasis?

hmm.. its quite near our horses city then ...

i guess the third city will take the desert hill, which is in reach of the oasis?

hmm.. its quite near our horses city then ...

Desert hill by the river won't reach oasis. Health boost would be nice, but if we move it to 1W, we would lose 2 flood plains, 1 incense and share 1 more Flood plain with Saturn. Especially if we are planning to make this our bureacracy capital the city should be positioned so that we get maximum amount of commerce and/or hammers out of it.

There is small overlap between the cities, but it takes a very long time before our cities are big enough to this have an effect.

Yes, the third city should be on our desert hill (barring unusual circumstances, such as if a barbarian city popped near there). It won't reach the oasis as plako said unless we were to move it. Moving would have more negative effects than positive effects, though.

To the team: Do you think we should build a monument to completion in our horse city first, OR build a monument, then switch builds to an immortal once horses are connected, complete one immortal, then go back to completing the monument? I'd prefer making one immortal first and having the monument be built or whipped later.

Both Monument and Immortal costs 30 hammers. Before horses are hooked up we could collect ~5-20 hammers, depending whether we want raise population using flood plains (assuming city site N from horses) or not raise population at all using forested plains hill tile (possible only when settling NE from horses). In my opinion, if we settle N from horses we use flood plains tile and switch to immortals right away. If we settle on NE of horses we finish the monument before horses using forested plains hill in the beginning tile and before starting immortal.

Thanks for the names! I have updated the original post.

I checked Wikipedia and it seems that Saturn has 52 named moons. :eek: Do you think we'll ever get up to the 52nd one?

That's the plan. :hammer:

I wonder how many decent cities you could fit onto this map. It's standard size, so my guess is that 52 would be plausible. We'd need to take over several other nations, though. ;)

But then, isn't that the plan anyway? :D

I think we could build a monument in Titan as fast as possible using forested plains hill tile first (NE option). After border pop we could farm the flood plains and raise population.

By the way, there are 2 Titans in the list and NE and NW are little mixed up in the description of Titan.

The document might become quite large so it might be good idea to include some kind of change log that describes which chapters have changed.

Seeing that the only way we could take full advantage of all flood plains on Titan would be by settling on the horses, I would say that would be a good idea. it would also net us two hammers on our capital. & we get at least 3 hill, 2 of which are plains, to produce things. Everything else can be cottaged! :p

We could also begin production of inmmortals right off the bat, as soon as we settle the spot.

I'm not sure about that. Gaining an extra flood plain or two probably isn't as valuable as being able to improve the Horse tile, in my opinion. And it'll only take us a few turns to hook up the Horses - after that the extra building speed by working that 4 hammer tile will outbalance building an Immortal from the first turn after founding.

By the way, I just had a thought... assuming that we happen to found Buddhism on the way to the Oracle, will it be worth switching to the religion so that we can get Saturn up to size 6 ASAP? My guess is that it would delay the Oracle by a turn, so we shouldn't do it, but it's probably good to think about.

Yeah, I think you're right. Even if we managed to make up the turn we'd lose from switching to Buddhism, we'd still be no better off (and would have to switch religions again to Confucianism). The other, more minor issue is that by switching to a religion, we'd let everyone else in the game see that we founded it. I like keeping secrets for as long as possible. ;)

Okay, so that's that sorted. :)

Top Bottom