City locations on map

xau99

Chieftain
Back in civ 3, I used a map that someone created that forced the computer and human players alike to build their cities on premade locations. Basically these were like markers where you could place a city on - Has anyone come up with one for civ 4, or show me how to create a map that allowed city building at particular spots. Hope my question makes sense.

thanks

Back in civ 3, I used a map that someone created that forced the computer and human players alike to build their cities on premade locations. Basically these were like markers where you could place a city on - Has anyone come up with one for civ 4, or show me how to create a map that allowed city building at particular spots. Hope my question makes sense.

thanks

In the map file ( world builder save ) you can edit the starting coordinates for each civ
However i am not sure how you can see the coordinate XY on map so you know where to place the start loc.
On option is to start a game on map pic the first civ on list and not play but as soon as it start enter the world builder and civ by civ delete and place city and correct location save and play

You open your map script by using notepad, here you can put in your x and y start points it should look like this:

Version=11
BeginGame
Era=ERA_ANCIENT
Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST
Victory=VICTORY_DOMINATION
GameTurn=0
MaxTurns=0
MaxCityElimination=0
TargetScore=0
StartYear=-4000
Description=
ModPath=
EndGame
BeginPlayer
Team=0
StartingX=53, StartingY=45
LeaderType=NONE
CivType=NONE
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
Team=1
StartingX=9, StartingY=42
LeaderType=NONE
CivType=NONE
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer
----------------------------------

just add in your x and y where yo see it here, to get the x and y points you have to download a program called Map View, using this you can find the x and y and even edit the map some.

Thanks guys for the input, however the start positions are not a problem - its the additional cities that the AI builds, can we set where they can place those cities. The AI is very bad at placing cities (use up unnecessary space) - but if I can create a grid of city placement (conserve space) it will allow for more cities especially when playing on a small map, where instead of only building 5 cities you could get 8.

Thanks guys for the input, however the start positions are not a problem - its the additional cities that the AI builds, can we set where they can place those cities. The AI is very bad at placing cities (use up unnecessary space) - but if I can create a grid of city placement (conserve space) it will allow for more cities especially when playing on a small map, where instead of only building 5 cities you could get 8.

the AI makes those choices maybe theres a way to change that in XML but it would be hard i dunno
You can always populate the map in world builder and than play it there will be no need for AI to place cities as you can do that for him

Thanks guys for the input - what I ended opting for was to make all terrain except for desert unable to build a city. Then went into map builder and removed all desert except where I wanted cities to be built.

This is always a challenge, cities are unlikely to grow well on a desert tile (though adding an oasis will help) the other options are:

Python scripts to dictate ai behaviour (most difficult but most effective), see the tutorials for more on this.

or..

Make the preferred locations attractive for city placement. The ai like resources, productive tiles (grassland/marsh) and defensive locations (like hills). If it makes sense for the ai to build on a certain tile then they generally will.

The map for CivIII xau99 talked about in the beginning is called "The Perfectionist Map". It forced the player and AI alike to build their cities only on specially designated spots on the map - spots that were perfectly suited for a flourishing city.

I would very much like to see such a map for CivIV. I hate the fact that the AI is prone to founding cities with overlapping radii or placing them in less-than-perfect locations - I like each and every of my cities to be as perfect as possible. So, is anyone up to the task of creating such a map?

The author of the Perfectionist Map for Civ III used plains tiles as the spots for perfect cities and allowed cities to be built only on plains. I used to love playing on that map!

Only other way that I know of is pains-taking play testing to configure resources and terrain in such a way as to make certain locations an obvious choice for the AI. I worked on this allot with my versions of the maps for "The Ancient Mediteranean" mod. I finally got the Germans, Celts, Romans, Greeks, Hittites, Egyptians, and Carthagians to put cities in good places...and then the Mod went into Limbo :( It's a great Mod for Civ IV Vanilla btw. One of the best imho.

Only other way that I know of is pains-taking play testing to configure resources and terrain in such a way as to make certain locations an obvious choice for the AI. I worked on this allot with my versions of the maps for "The Ancient Mediteranean" mod. I finally got the Germans, Celts, Romans, Greeks, Hittites, Egyptians, and Carthagians to put cities in good places...and then the Mod went into Limbo :( It's a great Mod for Civ IV Vanilla btw. One of the best imho.
hah i knew it was in limbo. everybody was like, "no we're just beta-testing."

Top Bottom