1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Names

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by VanillaCube, Sep 2, 2002.

1. VanillaCube

VanillaCube Your local Schizophrenic

How do your citys get there names? Do you use the default names? do you have a set of names that you name the citys? Do you make up names just as the city is being built?
    personally I do a combo of all three I use a few names that I like from the default names, I have certain citys that are always named a certain thing and I make up really interesting names depended on the terrain and proximity to other civs.
    like if I had a city near the coast and it had some gold in its radius I might name it.... Thgocoasimi. the name is from these five words(The) (Gold) (Coast) (is) (mine) but I just take out some letters so it sounds right and I come up with (Th) (Go) (Coas) (i) (mi) then I just smash the words together and BAMM my citys have there names.
    some other example names in my civ games might be.
    Istgofrohut
    I just got this city from a goodyhut

twcosanear
    Two cows are near

Dazultomiot
    Damn Zulus took my city spot

anyway how do your citys get there names?

2. Sim_One

Sim_One Emperor

Although I haven't done this I think from now on I'm gonna number my cities...the capital would be "1" and so on...this way I know the order in which I founded my cities. If I conquer a city I will number that as well. If I lose one...well that may require some renaming but I will try to get that city back and reenter it into the sequence.

3. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

:lol:

nice names...

Mine gte defaults, except Germany, they get the properly spelled names (Königsberg instead of Konigsberg, München instead of Munich and so on).

4. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

With most civs, I'll stick with the default. With the Chinese, I'll rename based on historical eminence sometimes. Or simply invent some Chinese names. ;)

5. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

i just stick with defauult and just press enter when city name comes up i might change captial city name though

6. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Just wondering: what happens when you name your cities 'New York', 'Bremen', etcetera. Does the AI skip that name or would there be 2 cities with the same name?

Anyway, my cities always end up with names like 'Bla' and "D'oh!' when I run out of names (Ocean city 1 trough 10) so I usually stick with the default.

7. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

I think the AI can have cities with the same name as yours..I believe I've done that before..

I never use the default names, unless it's a city I aquire from the AI....I always make up names, usually depending on the mood I'm in..
    I'll name my cities 'Thisisareallygoodspot' and the like if I'm in a silly mood and if I'm in a bad mood, well I can't post those names here :)

8. VanillaCube

VanillaCube Your local Schizophrenic

I assume they would skip them cause once when I was the Americans the name "New York" popped up and I didn't feel right having a "New York" when I didn't even have a york, so I cut out the New but it didn't let me name it that cause York was already made by the English :(
    so I just ended up naming it
    soyoristake
    So York is taken

9. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

I give my cities real names.
    I decide a continent is Africa, and I give all cities African capital names. Other is Europe, and I give only European names, and so on...
    It makes easier tracking after my civ city names have finished.
    Since once in CIV3 I found New Berlin8 and I lost a bit control of my civ...

10. Tweedledum

Tweedledum Prince

Depends on the civ.
    For ones which represent existing countries I've edited the city list in the bic file (twice, after v1.29 overwrote the first one :mad: )
    and corrected some absurdities (The Mumbles!? Firstly, they're Wales and secondly they're a bunch of rocks), added some obvious omissions, extended and corrected some spellings
    (Killer: I've tried to spell the German city names correctly although its a bit tricky with a UK character set. I also decided that Austria might want Salzburg back...!)

For others I've generally left well alone (apart from Salamanca which is now Oneida)

11. slothman

slothman Emperor

I like it where on the second round where it gives names like New Washington and New Boston, it skips New New York and New New Orleans. I would be confusing with 2 news in the same name. Thouse Newer York might be good.

12. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

I usually try to follow an historical path, from the capital to the oldest/more important towns. Or try to make the city geographically correct (the 1st french city next to the sea being Marseille or Le Havre, never Lyon or Orléans, for example)...

Mad Hab

13. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

To those of you who arrive 200+ cities in your empire (I only had once, because now I'm affraid of the corruption and only found 30 and the others are always conquered...):

How do you name your cities?

14. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

I like to change the list of city names in the editors tab for the civ I'm playing. I uses names of stars and constellations, planets, nebulae and other astronomical type stuff. Also, I put them in alphabetical order sequentially, ie the first city listed gets a name with "A" as the start, the second gets one beginning with "B", etc., cycling back to A after each one starting with Z. This gives me a rough idea how far out from the core of my civ a city is. Some letters can be hard, (X, Q, etc) so I will settle for a name with a science fiction or just scientific bent- preferably with a mathematical, astronomical, or physics type connotation.

I tend to keep the foreign name of a conqured city (those that don't get razed, that is- :flamedevi [/evil laugh/]. For cultural reasons! :D If I really hate the foreign name I use "New" or "Novi" in front of the name that is next in the list- even if there isn't one with that name already.

I also change the names of the great leaders for my civ, in the editor, as well. I use great (my selection!) science fiction writers.

Finally, my Civ's Leader is always my cat- "Aiko", with the title "The Mighty...". Since he is a siamese, I usually rename the civ's name to "Siam" as well. But I keep the attributes as original. I've toyed with the idea of changing the leaderheads to a graphic of my little guy, but I'm afraid I'm to computer challenged to manage that. Anyone know how to do that in a way that could be easely explained? I'm pretty good with simple "Cut" and "Paste" functions ...

15. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Generally, I go with the default names.

Sometimes I go for geographical accuracy. I find I can never bring myself to put the cities of the larger nations like America or China or Rome in the wrong places.

Sometimes I name the cities after nearby geographical features. In one game that sticks out in my memory, I was playing as the Chinese. I ignored the default names altogether and put cities in all the right places--and with all the right names--to give China close to its real borders. Then I declined further Asian expansion and instead started founding cities in other regions, naming them after the geography. I had a city on the North American coast near two gold deposits, which I called Jingang ('gold harbor'). I put a city in Iceland to slow Russian expansion in that area and called it Bingdao ('ice island'). And so on.

I played once on the Imperialism map and had some fun with that. That's the map where eight civs start on the eastern continent, none on the western, and you can't reach the western continent--which is full of modern resources--until Navigation. So I called myself John I of Portugal. I gave all my cities on the eastern continent the names of cities in Portugal; Lisbon, Oporto, Coimbra, Faro, and so on. When I got to the western continent, I used the names of Portuguese colonies in America; Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba, Manaus, and so on.

I also have a bad habit of giving all captured cities Latin or pseudo-Latin names when I play as the Romans. For example, Munich will become Monachium, Athens will become Athenae, New York will become Eboracum Novum, and so on. Where no Latin names exist--or where I simply don't know the Latin names--I make something up. Tenochtitlan might become Tenoctitulum, for example, or Oil Springs might become Fons Oleum.

Similarly, when I play as the Japanese, I'll rename captured cities according to how they are written in the Japanese orthographic system. So Calcutta, for example, is Karukatta, Paris is Pari, and Boston is Bosuton. The exception there is Chinese cities. To give only one example, the actual Japanese name for Beijing is Pekin or Beichin--they maintain the pronunciation as closely as their language allows, just as English does. What I do is different--instead of following the Chinese pronunciations, I'll give Japanese pronunciations of the Chinese characters used to write the city names. Beijing, then, becomes 'Hokkyou'.

Seeing numbers in the names bugs me. In a recent Zulu game, I got up into the whole 'Zimbabwe 2' nonsense and refused to go along with it. The city that would have been Zimbabwe 2 instead became Shakaville. After that, I went with the names of Zulu singers and songs, meaning I had cities called 'Mbele Town' (after Raymond Mbele, who's actually Xhosa rather than Zulu, but let's not get techincal), 'Izulu', 'Makhabeleni', and 'Wazibuka Esibukweni'. (I have a tape of assorted Zulu music from the '60s and '70s--that's why I know the names of some Zulu songs and singers.)

16. Grawss

Grawss Warlord

I just make up really wierd and long names or really short names. I like some of the defaults though.

17. Novaya Havoc

Novaya Havoc Hollerback for Catherine

I just don't like it when cities culture cross. Like Konigsburg (German) and Kaliningrad (Russian) for example. IT'S THE SAME CITY! Bah.

Just wait until the Mongols are thrown into the mix. ;) I wonder what Chinese and Russian cities are going to be lost for that one.

-Ben

18. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

Sometimes defaults, sometimes a,b,c, sometimes apple, banana, cherry, sometimes antelope, birdie, cat. Depends on if I'm naming (lazy-defaults), or if my wife is naming them all...

19. 'Copter Pilot

'Copter Pilot Chieftain

I usually use the default name because I don't know anything about Egypt, Babylon or Persia. Hardly ever play the Germans, but if so, cities get their correct spellings, Düsseldorf will usually get a nice spot, I leave Salzburg to the Austro-Hungarian empire etc.

My solution to the Königsberg-Kaliningrad problem (in my very first game of Civ III) was to capture Königsberg and rename it to Kaliningrad.

I like Fons Oleum BTW.

Tweedledum, you can use ae for ä, oe for ö, ue for ü and ss for ß if you want to type German city names correctly, i.e. Koenigsberg and Muenchen. This is the correct way of doing this if you don't have the right character set. Or find out the ALT-xxxx code for the characters (if you're on Windows, on the Mac option-u followed by a vowel does the trick on US and UK keyboards) -- the character set should be the same, it's just a different keymap.

20. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

I usually keep default names. Sometimes i number them.
    01_Rome
    02_Veii
    and so on..