City Names

DC123456789

Deity
Seeing as there is a lot of discussion revolving around city names, I decided to make use of our subforum with a new thread. ;)

Anyway, I've added all of Sitalkis's suggestions to the city name map, in addition to completing all of western and southern Persia, fixing Charax Spasinou so that its tile is the right name, and a couple other fixes elsewhere. I also changed the Parthians so that they use the Greek CNM as their secondary instead of the Persian (all Persian city names have a Greek translation right now), with all Alexandria's (except the one in Egypt) being replaced with another hellenized native name. This is essentially the same as before, except the Parthian dictionary is now much smaller and there is far less redundancy.

Also, I'll probably create a better Celtic and Dacian settler maps later, as I think those are the ones with the worst, most restrictive, settler maps.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    137.8 KB · Views: 337
I forgot to mention that the plot where Hiroshima spawns has been renamed Dazaifu, as it was an important city there within the timeframe and Hiroshima is actually on the other side of the channel.

Also, could you add Qin, Jin, and Tang city name languages? I have some ideas to improve the city name map in China.

I've added city names in Hibernia, Caledonia, and outer Dacia, as well as other various fixes and improvements (Ziz finally gets renamed now). This is especially relevant with the settler maps I've created for the Celts and Dacians. Saguntum should spawn as Arse, the original Celtiberian name for the city (now its default and Celtic name).

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    139.4 KB · Views: 278
Moved Ammonium 1E so that it fits with the Ptolemaic settler map, added a few city names in Scythia and Balochistan.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    140.1 KB · Views: 264
got it. it'll be in the next commit

actually, can you add your changes to this spreadsheet? it has terrain marked on it using colors, so I can't copy-paste into it without disturbing that, but I'd like to keep it as the master because its easy to read.

I've fixed the city names in the Balkans and Dacia for the new map as well as re-adding the city names you missed out in Scythia. I've also renamed the Noreia tile to Aquincum, since we are sure that it actually existed at that location as was also an important city.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    140.6 KB · Views: 211
Fixed city names in Dacia a bit (I realized that I had wrongly identified the rivers and thus misplaced some city names).

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    139.7 KB · Views: 135
Hi,

I would like to add a few city names to the Tarim Basin, Ferghana Valley and the lands between Amu Darya and Syr Darya. Many of these spots are just "city"

How can we proceed in this regard ?

All the city name stuff is stored in RFC Classical World\Assets\Python\CityNameManager.py. Near the top you'll see a giant grid of names in quotation marks; these are the default city names that are applied to each tile in the game. You'll see a lot of "-1", which indicates no city name (and thus when you settle on those tiles you get "City"). Below that you'll see the dictionaries for all the various "languages"; on the left of the colon is the original city name (on the grid), and on the right is the city name that that language will use. For example, you'll see that Greek has "Susa" : "Sousa", which means that when any civilization using the Greek language conquers or settles a city on a tile that is marked as Susa in the code, it will be named as Sousa.

To start, you'll probably want to copy and paste the entire grid onto a spreadsheet so you can see the tiles better. If you're using Microsoft Excel, be warned that it doesn't carry over the quotation marks for some reason, so replace all the quotation marks with some symbol that isn't used, copy the grid over, then use find and replace to restore the quotation marks. Next, you'll probably want to mark seas, mountains, rivers, and major cities on the spreadsheet so you have a point of reference when adding new city names. Follow the pattern when you're adding them; make sure that the city name is contained within quotation marks (it will be display ingame exactly as you have them) and follow it with a comma. In general, try to keep repeating city names within a 2 by 2 grid so that it is impossible to have two cities with the same name. Default names are generally in the native language of the area, so if possible one would put Persian or native Tocharian/Bactrian/Sogdianan/etc. name as the default name, with exonyms (primarily Greek and Chinese ones for the area you want to do) put in the appropriate dictionaries. Once you're done with that, simply copy and paste the grid back into the CityNameManager.py. If you have multiple names from different civilizations for the same city, put them in the appropriate dictionaries below the grid. You'll notice that there appear to be many repeats in the city name manager (e.g. "Byzantion" : "Byzantion", ); this is to ensure that if the city is conquered by another civ that renames it to something else (e.g. Byzantion is conquered by Rome who renames it Constantinopolis) and then reconquered by a civ that uses its default name (e.g. the Greek Antigonids reconquer it, who call it Byzantion) it does get renamed to its default name. Just follow the pattern there: "DEFAULT_NAME" : "NEW_CULTURAL_NAME", .

first, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I noticed that you kind of coordinate the city naming .

So maybe you give me your file, I will add my stuff and then return it to you ?

here is a map you can use. it has water, peaks and some other features marked. if you use Open Office rather than Excel you won't have trouble with the quotation marks.

also, if anyone wants to supply lists of non tile specific city names for different civs I can make them apply to the tiles with no name.

Attachments

• citynames.7z
    22.6 KB · Views: 224
Just be sure to use the most recent city name map, the maps aren't always updated. I don't believe srpt has added in my most recent change yet, so work from that.

here is an updated spreadsheet to work with

Attachments

• citynames.7z
    22.6 KB · Views: 236
Fixed and added some city names in Anatolia and Syria to correspond with the new map, also added a few more Greek renames.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    140.4 KB · Views: 184
Top Bottom