City of no food resorces

I agree unclejj, but he could have just put it near the coast and got the same resources with MORE commerce :/.

I can see an argument for settling a coastal city, but it wouldn't claim the furs for many border pops, and it would still be a marginal site. Personally, I wouldn't like to neglect the furs, but I am doubtful it would be worth settling a second weak city to claim them. I think the general location is justifiable, but it was most probably settled too soon, when grabbing optimal sites and blocking the AI should be a priority.

You have two shots to make this city even marginally useful (beyond claiming resources), both late.

1. Corps.
2. NP.

Otherwise build the most basic of infrastructure, and then set it to build missionaries (if you control a shrine) or spies for the rest of the game.

I can see an argument for settling a coastal city, but it wouldn't claim the furs for many border pops, and it would still be a marginal site. Personally, I wouldn't like to neglect the furs, but I am doubtful it would be worth settling a second weak city to claim them. I think the general location is justifiable, but it was most probably settled too soon, when grabbing optimal sites and blocking the AI should be a priority.

He is creative so the border pops is not too much of an issue.

He is creative so the border pops is not too much of an issue.

He would need 5000 culture to claim all the furs if settled on the coast (assuming normal speed). Also, we don't know whether it is possible to block an AI from trying to claim some of the resources. As we know, AIs aren't too reluctant to settle tundra cities.

Settling the coast might be ok, but I think that claiming the extra land was alright too, although it probably shouldn't have been the third city settled.

In most games I'd be willing to give up my left kidney for 2 happiness resources around 2000 BC. With the minimum happy caps at 4, 2 happiness resources means you can work 1.5 times as many cottages, practically multiplying your commerce output by a similar amount. On top of this, 6 happiness is quite a royal amount and opens up the option of forgoing either Monarchy or Calandar, thus allowing you to pounce on all kinds of teching opurtunities. Add to this the fact that the city pays off whatever increase in maintenance it brings about simply by working the beaver tiles, and I may just have put the city in exactly this location.

Am I doing something wrong if commerce, not production, is the limiting commodity in my early game empires...? What's a better situation: struggling to get your cities in place, or getting them in place so fast you have to worry about ways to pay them?

He would need 5000 culture to claim all the furs if settled on the coast (assuming normal speed). Also, we don't know whether it is possible to block an AI from trying to claim some of the resources. As we know, AIs aren't too reluctant to settle tundra cities.

Settling the coast might be ok, but I think that claiming the extra land was alright too, although it probably shouldn't have been the third city settled.

5000 Culture? That means it's out of the city radius and the furs are pointless if you can't work the tile.

5000 Culture? That means it's out of the city radius and the furs are pointless if you can't work the tile.

Three furs pointless? The whole point of settling a city here is to gather all the resources.

Three furs pointless? The whole point of settling a city here is to gather all the resources.

Three furs still only bring +1 happy face. I don't understand why you would want them unworkable, unless you're trading them to the AI for GPT.

Wrong, with civil service he could chain irrigate over to those tundras for 2 food a piece, and windmill the mines for one food each.

Once he gets biology the city will be able to grow to a decent size.

I thought that tundra could only receive farms if they are directly adjacent to fresh water (i.e., chain irrigation will not work)? Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Just read page #2, consider this confirmation :)

Three furs still only bring +1 happy face. I don't understand why you would want them unworkable, unless you're trading them to the AI for GPT.

Exactly, or trade for resources. Three furs could potentially be worth three happy/health resources with the right trading partners.

Exactly, or trade for resources. Three furs could potentially be worth three happy/health resources with the right trading partners.

Don't forget the +1/+2 diplo modifiers: "We appreciate the years you have supplied us with resources."

Am I doing something wrong if commerce, not production, is the limiting commodity in my early game empires...? What's a better situation: struggling to get your cities in place, or getting them in place so fast you have to worry about ways to pay them?

Getting them in place so fast you have to worry about ways to pay them is a better situation.

Getting them in place so fast you have to worry about ways to pay them is a better situation.

Agreed. If you can take cities and not get killed, take them ASAP, through war or settlers.

I played a game with my roommate yesterday, and he had infantry before I had cavalry since I was busy owning up my continent with HA's/Knights. When I was done though, I had over 30% of the world land and pop.

Wasn't behind long. Worked tiles > everything else :).

Resource trades are huge if you have trading partners - enough that this city is worthwhile. It might still be better moved to actually be able to WORK those tiles at some point, if at all possible (especially if trading partners are limited at first so that it's ok to wait for border pops etc).

Resources for GPT can be really significant - I've seen it bump my slider 2 notches quite a number of times - which is especially important when you've "overexpanded".

@ OP: try to place your ice / desert cities (the ones you settle for resources only) so that you get one food tile. Fish, deer, whatever. That one food tile plus the city tile's 2 food surplus will let you work at least two more tiles, which can often make the city revenue-neutral.

The only thing the OP should have done different is placing the city 1S on top of the marble. He still would have gotten all resources but also would have gotten 1 plains tile and a grassland tile. Both farmed he would have been able to work 5 tiles then and the city would produce 2 hammers from the start (from the marble).

You can only farm tundra tiles when there is fresh water available. So you need a river or a lake.

Top Bottom