City placement confusion!

dylanmeditates

Warlord
Hey peeps,

Been a while since I've posted. I've been playing minecraft :) Don't hate!

Anyway, I've been playing at immortal lately (haven't beaten it yet) and I just got what seems to be a pretty decent roll w/ Mansa. So I don't want to waste it.

Here are my thoughts on second city placement:
option a: 1w2n of the corn, so that I can immediately use the corn and be able to do cottage swapping between the two cities.
option b: 1w of the close rice, so that I can immediately get the rice resource and eventually get bronze.
option c: 1 sw of the close rice so that I can get the rice, and eventually get both the bronze and the cow. I just don't know about this one bc maybe eventually I'll want to settle the cow? But what if an AI gets to it before me anyway? Waaah!

And while we're here... I went Ag>Pottery>BW, and now I'm going to try beelining and chopping oracle. Figure I have a fighting chance with financial+floodplains+lots of trees. Will be chopping a worker, chopping a settler, then building warriors/granary until I get to oracle, then chopping/whipping oracle. Thoughts?

Attachments

• city placement.jpg
    city placement.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 314
Definitely option b for me (or 2W of the rice maybe to get copper?)
With this kind of start, I'd want to settle along the river. 1W/2W of the rice is perfect for sharing Timbuktu cottages.
Going further south (for a 2nd ring cow) is not worth the distance and lost of flexibility (aka tile sharing)

I would also go settler before the worker because I'd want city 2 (a net profit, able to work the Oasis immediately) as soon as possible.
If BW is researched, grow to size 6 on a granary or a warrior, then whip the settler after one turn of production.

Where is your barb defense crew by the way? :shifty:

Please don't go for the Oracle.
It can put you way ahead in tech but way behind in expansion/production.

Your capitol is rich enough as it is. Try and REX in Isabella's face.
Expand gently to six cities and do your favorite bee-line :thumbsup:

The Oracle is for noobs really. Ask Mylene.

Moderator Action: Please do not reference other players that are not a part of the discussion, it invites trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The Oracle is for noobs really. Ask Mylene.

Seriously...

Why can't people like you just not let their hate where it belongs and stop spreading such stupidity.
Moderator Action: This is trolling as well, please leave it out in future.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Oracle is either one of the two best wonders, or even the best Wonder of all. All that's advisable is, that getting Oracle should be done via a way that involves the smallest risk possible, like i. e. going Alpha first to estimate the odds of getting Oracle safely.

If one is able to reach Priesthood while nobody has even started on Oracle, it's a safe bet. In games where someone already has started on it, it's still safe if one can see the city and calculate the amount of :hammers: that person already has in that wonder.

Of course, going very late for Oracle when someone one cannot see is already building it is idiotic, but so would be building the Mids without Stone or various other things.

The Oracle can be very nice and get you some trades, but it's a huge blow if you don't get it and have "wasted" all that :science: towards it instead of much more useful food and economy techs. I've actually rarely gone for it myself, and was sort of 'forced' into doing it because "everybody" said it was a no-brainer. But recently I've gone back to not doing it too often, and I think it's better actually. If such a great player as soundjata says so too, there must be something to it :yup:
(Edit: Now I'm feeling silly for saying that when another great player says it's a wonderful wonder, but oh well, don't hate me :o)

Think I'd agree with 1W of rice. If you do continue towards Oracle (or just Myst), get out a Monument asap so you can get the copper quickly. Also change to a settler instead of worker. I'm not seeing a lot of warriors though, and you want to get out a few chaps to fogbust and protect the spot you intend for the settler. I like to make a couple warriors early and then send them in various directions to first explore the map and then later fogbust. You don't need military police this early (but I realise the warrior in the capital is just produced).

Doesn't look like a wonderful spot, with tundra to the north and some jungle to the south, but try to grab some nice spots when you know a bit more about the land. Settling around the capital is rarely a bad idea, though I'd wish there was more food in the capital so it was easier to share food around it. It looks like a killer cottage spot though, so get up cottages. Is that 9 FP/grassland rivered tiles? Ca-ching! :D

lol well I don't think Oracle is for noobs but I think it should be a situational wonder (like any other wonder) rather than going blindly at it because you have decent commerce and some forests. It's not necessarily a bad play but I think expansion is more important.

To me Oracle is a huge wonder if you have a chance of going at it late ; I like Seraiel's angle of going Alpha first.

----------

I'd strongly consider 1NE of Copper for city 2 instead of 1W of Rice because it'll provide you Barb defense and will still have some immediate food with the Oasis. Use the forest you saved (by not settling 1W of Rice) to chop out a Monument and claim the Rice.

If you'd rather focus on food, 1W of Rice is good too but beware of the barbies.

Am I the only one really loving the plains hill 1N of the Cow? I mean just look at it, it's a beautiful spot!

Am I the only one really loving the plains hill 1N of the Cow? I mean just look at it, it's a beautiful spot!
Yes it's nice but I'd rather have City 2 close by and cram in 2 cities for Rice + Cows instead of one

1N of cows will be beautiful after border pop and AH, and it will not help capital with cottages. Means it's not beautiful at all as 2nd city.

Oracle is most winning promising move, that's why it sometimes been considered "cheap". Up to player really.

It's a game.

Back on topic. SW of rice is a nice spot, you can work cows while growing and whipping and can hand cows over to a southern city a bit later on.

AI oracle dates aren't usually too spectacular on Imm, but Izzy consistently builds the oracle as early as any leader in the game. You could probably finish the oracle in roughly 25T though and that should be a pretty safe date.

Regardless of whether you go oracle or not I think you need a settler right now before a 2nd worker.

I don't.

I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that you're spreading stupidity, because you might wanna change before you become a complete idiot too.

That's over the top. You are no doubt very knowledgeable but often toe the line with your "debates." You crossed it here.

I agree with Izuul and pomthom on this one. Settling 3S of the capital, a.k.a. 1NE of the copper seems like the best spot for me. It's got immediate access to copper without border pop, decent food short term before border pop, fresh water access, and it can help grow cottages in the capital as well.

I wish that you would have gotten to producing a settler earlier. 2nd worker before the 1st settler seems a bit overkill at this point. And would you look at that... Isabella, with her Buddhish holy city, is practically right in your face! Have you considered rushing her by stealing her workers and choking her out of metals? ^_^

If there was an obvious need to research Animal Husbandry and if it revealed horses nearby, I would have strongly considered going for Horseback Riding immediately, and rush Isabella that way. Unfortunately, you are not gonna need this tech for a while, so that move is a huge gamble and I wouldn't do it.

Regarding Oracle: You'd need to think of your short-term strategy in terms of what free tech you want to get, and what you are gonna be doing with it. Since you thought about building the Oracle before anyone suggested doing so, what did you want to get out of it?

It is a powerful wonder, for sure, but on this particular map and situation, I'd rather use my hammers for expansion, workers, and units (for barbarian defense, which surely is gonna be a problem... hello jungle and tundra!)... or even to go wreck havoc on Isabella.

Don't worry, people like me ;)

Your comments have been very helpful for me, and I have no doubt that there are other players who would feel the same as well. ^_^

Top Bottom