1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Placement - Seafaring trait

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Jeremy Tusant, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jeremy Tusant

Jeremy Tusant Chieftain

I'm currently playing with Portugal, my next city placement is a choice between settling on a river or coast. I already have 10 or so cities placed on the coast because of ship building, but I'm quite aware of the value of settling on fresh water for commerce and population growth past 6, but is there any benefit to settling on a coastal tile besides the benefit of ship building? Any tidbit I'm overlooking?

2. CKS

CKS Chieftain

Seafaring tribes get a commerce bonus if they are on the coast, and if you are going to work the coastal tiles, you can't build a harbor unless you are on the coast.

3. Suspence

Suspence Chieftain

Your first mistake is playing as Portugal for seafaring when Byzantines and Vikings are both so much more fun and awesome.

4. Jeremy Tusant

Jeremy Tusant Chieftain

Great point CKS, is that commerce bonus just in the city square or all cost tiles? Thank you for you reply.

5. Jeremy Tusant

Jeremy Tusant Chieftain

I believe you, but picked Portugal because I've heard they are the worst in the game, but wanted to increase the difficulty so I started a game with them. Will try the others you suggested after this one.

6. CKS

CKS Chieftain

Just in the city square.

7. Theov

Theov Chieftain

you get earlier ocean crossing ships as Portugal, so you're quicker than the rest in finding the rest of the world.