City Projects - Not so bad

agonistes

wants his subs under ice!
As the title says...

Projects take heat. Undeservedly. Religion nuts know prayers is decent and useful. But beyond this outsiders' club of civ perversionists, few see any value in projects, and I see quite a few posts saying they are all but worthless.

Have you tried building 1 campus and spamming projects in it all game?

Tried spamming prayers mid-game to either buy a great person OR faith buy walls/ units/buildings?

Spammed cz or iz projects for great people?

Even low production cities can just run cz projects all day. Even poorly settled captured cities. Or you can put 40 trade routes in 2 cities vuilding units every 2 turns and have your other cities run projects to pay for the army.

Projects can catch you up in tech or culture insanely fast if you are not atop the leader board.

Stop knocking the projects. They can be game-changers.

People are bashing projects? They're a critical part of many (most?) winning strategies because they let you turn hammers into GPs. In skilled hands than can (almost) guarantee that you always get the specific GP that you need when you need them. Some of those GPs are genuinely game-changers. If you run the same project in multiple cities you can really makes things happen quickly. Encampment projects are mandatory if you want a GG to go along with your hetaroi as Alex...

Yup, if anything the projects are OP and need nerfed. Any fast science win will involved 70-80 turns of campus project spamming. As stated by the previous poster you can't get the early (ergo, good) GGs without running encampment projects.

I would never say that they're bad, rather that at any and every stage of the game, there's almost always something more necessary (not necessarily better, but more necessary) to build than projects. Although the Hong Kong bonus can sway this in the project's favor

This is a weird straw man argument because I think many people on this board, including myself, use projects.

I'd argue though that some people might just forget that projects are in the game because on the build list they're at the bottom and also have smaller hotspots compared to everything else on the build list.

I'm not sure what the issue is with projects. I've used them regularly depending on the situation. Typically what drives the need is either an offensive - or defensive - push for a very useful GP. I'll often suspend production in four or five cities and initiate projects (campus, commercial, or whatever) in all of them to gain the GP I want.

I like projects but for balance reasons I wish they expired on a locked schedule (e.g. 20 turns) instead of being linked directly to production.

Are there any specific numbers for how many GP points and the various yields you get for the projects? I know so little about them I'm always skeptical about their use.

See the formula thread on the strategy and tips forum. Their production cost scales with tech/civic progress, they yield per turn is 15% of cogs per turn (30% for commercial) and the GPP yield at completion is roughly 1 GPP per 5 cogs.

You'll see your GPT increase and the city screen will list the amount contributed by the project if you hover over the gold yield, but the only way to know how many GPP you get is to compare what you have the turn before it completes and the turn afterward.

Projects are the most potent source of Great People Points in the game; how are they possibly useless? Civilizations don't deserve to be called great without great people.

Last edited:
I can barely sit through the SV click fest with them, I can't imagine what it would be like without projects.

Top Bottom