1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City Raider upgrade not working?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by ÆnigmÆffect, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ÆnigmÆffect

ÆnigmÆffect Chieftain

This is starting to bug me. So, I got some macemen, and go the city raider upgrade as well as the basic combat upgrade. I attack a city. The stats area shows that I have +20% for city attack, but the strength still shows as 8.8, which is the original strength +10%.

So, my question: What happened to the +20%? Or am I not reading this correctly?

Thanks in advance.

2. yasic

yasic Chieftain

Its not the strenth that shows who wins, its that chance of winning (I forget exactly waht its called)

Its a ratio of numbrs, a green and red one (green being you)

On a flat plains, your number would be your strenth. Say your strenth is 3, and you got a 20% improvement: When you go to attack, your strenth will still be 3, but that number should be 3.6

3. Way Cool Junior

Way Cool Junior Chieftain

If you have your attacking unit selected, click and hold the right mouse button over the unit you plan on attacking. A small box will pop up above your unit's stat box displaying the strengths of both units with all of their modifiers added in.

I think this is the only way of seeing unit strengths with promotion modifiers added in (never seen the number in a unit's stat box change).

4. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Nice find! :)

5. ritterpa

ritterpa Chieftain

You can also click your unit, then hold alt and mouseover the enemy unit, in case you are afraid of releasing the right mouse button and accidentally going on a suicide mission.

6. Rameau's Nephew

Rameau's Nephew Bureaucrat

One other way:

If you go into GoTo mode (press "g"), and mouse over the enemy, the odds will display.

7. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I've noticed the same thing and I think city raider is bugged too.

If you select a unit, hold down alt, and mouse over an adjacent enemy (or use whatever similar method for the same data) it'll show you your modified strength vs their modified strength to help you determine the odds.

I had a bunch of modern armor with different combos and my combat3 ones would show 52.0 while my cityraider3 would show 40.0 when hovering over city based enemies - and that seems wrong. Due to my stealth bombers doing massive quantities of collateral damage I always fought nicely weakened defenders, so it's hard to say whether the city raider was actually working. (Side note - a city with barracks + west point + pentagon that pumps out tanks with 3 promotions upon creation (without civics) is a happy place.)

My earlier swordsman with their built-in bonus did great against citied units so I'll have to make it a point to see how their bonus affects the "odds" popup.

8. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I don't think that's correct. It's showing the modified strengths of each unit along with a summary of their bonuses, not the raw odds of winning.