1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Ruins

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MestreLion, Aug 12, 2006.

1. The Lardossen

The Lardossen Warlord

Maybe they're just rubble when you've just destroyed them, but they become more and more attractive while you pass through the ages. After all, if you look at ruins of something like a modern supermarket, you don't see something special. But these ghost towns in the (mid)west of America are already becoming attractions. Same goes for old industrial buildings (remember that huge factory on one of Pink Floyd's record sleeves?).

I'd say two coins per era. Giving a total of 10 coins for ancient ruins. A big kick in finance if you've pillaged two AI or barb cities in the same city radius on useless tiles like desert or tundra in the radius of one of your cities.

2. wgauld

wgauld Chieftain

Battersea Power Station with the flying pig, the cover for Animals. Quality man quality.

3. DoorMan

DoorMan Chieftain

I have had a city razed by barbarians. When I rebuilt the city over the ruins I got the culture that the city had before being razed.

4. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

The culture the tile(s) have gathered remains intact. The same when capturing back a city.

5. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

If city ruins work as a land improvement, game-mechanics wise (which I believe the do), then it would be relatively easy to have them grant some bonus (commerce, most likely) upon discovery of a tech. Maybe Mass Media or Industrialization, to represent the advance of the society to a sophistication level necessary to benefit from tourism?

6. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

No, I was thinking short term. Maybe for about 2 - 5 turns after the city was razed, units could heal very quickly on it especially if the stack has a medic in it. When a city is razed, valuables, food, medicine, equipment, supplies, weapons, etc are free for the taking by the army.

In the longterm though, maybe an investigator type unit can go to the ruins and camp there. During this time, it will occassionally produce a 'Supply Train' type of unit (would look a little like the Great Merchant) which, when taken back to the city, can offload what ever cargo/loot/discovery it has.

That would make it interesting for both the peaceful player and the conqueror as the conqueror would carry a whole lot of these units with their stack and settle them on razed cities and take the loot back home :) while the peaceful player could investigate and bring back the discoveries.

7. Looshi

Looshi Chieftain

I was under the impression that the city ruins still counts as a tile with roads on it. I remember it being this way in Civ 3, and assume it is the same in Civ 4. This would explain why you can raze city ruins.

8. kaottic97

kaottic97 Chieftain

I was just recently playing the Warlords - Barbarians mod, and there you can "pillage" a razed/captured city and yield 40 gold (for the propagation of more barbarian hoards!). And one of my first games in Civ IV (so it may be off) - I remember capturing a Barb city then razing it, leaving the city ruins, and a few turns later I come back to discover that the city had resurrected itself. Don't know if that's supposed to happen or just a fluke.

9. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

I never thought such a simple thread would become so popular! :)

Although i asked what city ruins are, instead of what they should be, the ideas were simply great!

Im specially fond of generating commerce, increasing by era, after a tech has been discovered. This would replicate the ideia of tourism and archeology (or antropological/sociological research).

My suggestion for modders is: 3 commerce :)commerce:) per era, avaliable when you discover Education. I suggest 3 instead of 2 because city ruins are rare, and once you destroy them, its gone forever. So they should be MUCH better than a cottage/town. Otherwise, it wouldnt be worth to preserve the Ruins till Education. And, as they generate commerce, would be up to the player to use the sliders to choose from Gold (tourism income), Science (archeological research) or Culture (historical monument), the most popular suggestions that people said...

10. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

By the way... it seems that City Ruins, the way they are right now, are indeed useless, right? I mean, besides the possibility of being automatic roads (could someone check? are they railroads too?)

11. Stormreaver

Stormreaver Warlord

Yes, the culture on the tiles is intact - for competition purposes when several civs have possible influence over a tile. However, you still need to get the culture accumulated in a new city to expand the borders, but this is perhaps not true when building on city ruins from one of your cities (when you capture cities/build on another civs ruins you start from 0 anyhow).

An example, civs A and B, city A has been there for a longer time, hence stronger culture:

--aaa--
    -aaaaa-
    -aaAaa-
    -aaaaa-
    --aaa--
    -bbbbb-
    -bbBbb-
    -bbbbb-
    --bbb--

After A is razed:

-------
    -------
    ---R---
    -------
    --bbb--
    -bbbbb-
    -bbBbb-
    -bbbbb-
    --bbb--

And normally, if you built a new city without ruins (let's say they were pillaged) you'd get:

-------
    --aaa--
    --aAa--
    --aaa--
    --bbb--
    -bbbbb-
    -bbBbb-
    -bbbbb-
    --bbb--

And only after a border expansion you'd go back to the original state (and flip the three competition remaining tiles because of the stronger culture you had before, which is now within "maximum" borders of the new A city).

Are you saying that if you built the new A city on the ruins - you'd immediately get back all culture you had as the city was razed? (i.e. have your borders expanded), then the ruins certainly do have a purpose as it is. They keep track of "city culture" (used for border expansion) as opposed to "tile culture" (used for tile competition).

12. Stormreaver

Stormreaver Warlord

There are always roads on the tile after you've razed a city, however it has nothing with the ruins to do AFAIK, but is a separate improvement.

13. CivDude86

CivDude86 King

I say make city ruins a super cottage. Work for 100 turns or 2 (high enough make sure there ruins of ancient city) then it turns into bags of money (to represent tourism).

14. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

There should also be something short term as well.