City sets

Well, if we look at each race's personalities; we could apply that to the structures.

Orks: Brutal and Powerful (way more than da squishie 'oomies) Add more patching like bolted steel sheets, and add some "offensive" stuff like spikes on the edges of the buildings.

Necrons: A dormant but re-awakening race. Start with cities very low on the ground, and with each new era bring the height of the buildings up. And turn on some lights (Very basic, but it should work)

Eldar and Tau: Very high in tech; more towers and spires. You could also add a "fog" around ground level to help create an illusion of height.

Oomies(chaos, imps, marines): All together more menacing and fortressy. Add some gun emplacements in the streets, or "concrete" baracades on the outside. Doodle around and see what works.

Nids/("Zerg"): Simply, more infested. Less ruins and ground and more slimey stuff. (what about a big eye in the middle?)

Eldar and tau would tend to have smoother, curvier structures, while the human and human variants have more angular and blocky buildings.

i like the ork buildings we have at the moment: they start off fairly primitively, then shanty town, then ramshackle industry, then ramshackle industry but BIGGER!

I havent heard anything about an eye either, and you would probably want an eye to be able to move and stuff, rather than static. but there have been terrain pieces and such made with large tentacles coming out of the ground, and large biomass pools and stuff

and necrons would need a big monolithic pyramid in the middle of their cities

all that being said, i still think we should concentrate on the big 4 (imperium, chaos, eldar and orks) before we start on the tau, necrons and nids. the WH mod didnt have lizardmen until WH 2, and no beasts or skaven until WH2.5 :)

Hwath? Are you thinkging about crumping Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard & Traitor Legion to the same cityset? If so, then I propably should get rid of the imperial eagles on the city set... and replace it with... what exactly?

Afterall, chaos & imperium of man derive from same culture group (how well was that put in civ3-terms ;) ).

Here are three more era splash previews:

Attachments

• Era2splashpreview.gif
    Era2splashpreview.gif
    122.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Era3splashpreview.gif
    Era3splashpreview.gif
    71.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Era4splashpreview.gif
    Era4splashpreview.gif
    122.7 KB · Views: 220
Beautiful splashes, Aaglo!

@DragonBird: Eye? Where did you get that from? In my opinion, Nid cities need to progress something like this:
  1. Actual cities, just in ruins, with the beginnings of a digestion pool and capillary towers.
  2. The ruins have been overgrown with plants and the digestion pool and capillary towers are larger.
  3. There are still ruins, but everything organic is gone, leaving only the digestion pool and capillary towers. Also, there could be some hive ships in low orbit, attached to the capillary towers.
  4. Finally, the hive ships descend and simply cover the ground, feeding off the planet.

I know, probably not the most useful list, since Nids won't be added anytime soon, but hey.

My thinking was that they had conquered an imperial world and had destroyed a town or city during the assault. Later they would have the chimneys and ships to feed on the planet.

You guys out weigh me, though, so it's really up to you.

Well yea, the ruins are a bit off.

That would mean that the Nids would have to capture cities to get them at all. Or even better - They send out a settler to make a Imp Town! Then they conquer it! The eye was a play on Sauron (LOTR) and the Overmind (Starcraft ~ Zerg). Have that replace a palace.

Well random eyes feature on some Tyranid weapons like the deathspitter, but that is because the deathspitter is actually a symbiote rather than part of the tyranid.

Aaglo, those cities are simply f*cking amazing! And my old ork set is REALLY old and not that great a cnp job.... I'm interested in making a new one, but reluctant to do so cause I never finish any of my civ projects lately... :blush:

Top Bottom