City sites

OGGleep

Chieftain
Can anyone explain what to look for in the ideal city site? Why for instance is it good to put a city on a coastal square, instead of next to a river. You have far more squares you can develop when next to a river.

Also, I had a booming culture rating and was basically creating cities outside of my own cluture areas. But I noticed that certain squares in between...actually many of them were not under a particular city zone. Is it therefore better to have cities that just don't overlap "workable" squares? First looked to get the most area "claimed" by spreading cities out, then when you run out of room due to enemy cultures, start building in between?

Maybe it is better on the square next to the river, that is up to you to decide.

I get the impression that the AI, when showing you probable city sites, favors food over everything else.

Founding on the coast is far from necessary. The only bad thing is founding 1 tile away from a coast. This means you won't be able to build coastal improvements. So you will have ocean tiles that are not worth working since they only produce one food. You can't build boats, or coastal wonders or any of that stuff. So if you're one tile away from the coast you should almost always move to the coast.

Rivers are great starting location, or any fresh water source.

Top Bottom