[R&F] City State Bonus change

Lily_Lancer

Deity
City state envoy bonus change from directly apply to the district to applying to building inside instead. 3 envoy bonus applies to Tier 1 building, while 6 applies to Tier 2.

This means the bonus for early game is smaller since you have to build those buildings instead of a flat district to get bonus. But the bonus is bigger in late game since there's +100% yield cards for buildings while originally the bonus cannot be amplified.(No effect for adjacent+100% cards previously)

So Enlightment will be much more useful in SVs.

Not sure if the food or culture from shrines and temples get the city-state bonus or not.

Last edited:
Another nerf to just ICS and spam a campus district - means you need a library and uni to get full bonus from city-states.

As you should.

I shouldn't be behind someone that doesn't build any buildings but lucked out by starting near blue cs's. This is a good change.

Like with the trader movement to the 1st tier buildings, this seems to be part of their goal to make ICS cities less useful. I'm not sure they are actually negative at this point, but it's definitely a better approach than just +5% per city.

This makes someone like Korea seem even stronger.

It also seems to boost the importance of gold and/or jesuit education a bit.

It also seems to boost the importance of gold and/or jesuit education a bit.

No, I think these 2 are nerfed. The main strength of Jesuit is giving you a chance to spend your faith efficiently in early or middle game, which was only challanged by Valletta, but now challanged by Monumentality, which allows you to purchase builders, moreover, with a discount.

For gold, I don't think anyone is going to build CH now. They were useless, and are just more useless.

No, I think these 2 are nerfed. The main strength of Jesuit is giving you a chance to spend your faith efficiently in early or middle game, which was only challanged by Valletta, but now challanged by Monumentality, which allows you to purchase builders, moreover, with a discount.

For gold, I don't think anyone is going to build CH now. They were useless, and are just more useless.

Yeah, that's a good point about monumentality, it's probably even going to be worth waiting and hoarding faith to buy a bunch of settlers and builders when you hit a golden age.

I was thinking of gold in general, more than say the commercial district specifically. This definitely makes the commercial district even weaker relative to the harbor as well, as it's not hard to get 4 gold from a harbor adjacency right off the bat if you settle at a good spot on the coast. But both seem primarily for the cultural victory, as you basically need a trade route per AI civ to get your tourism.

Another nerf to just ICS and spam a campus district - means you need a library and uni to get full bonus from city-states.

I wonder which balance changes are going to go in the base game and which are expansion only. Map generation goes in both.

Top Bottom