1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City-state borders insurpassable?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by remconius, Oct 31, 2016.

1. remconius

remconius Deity

I had a city state on an island just north of of my medium sized island. It's borders blocked my city on that side and I cannot move my ships out to the open water. Very strange.

I had 6 envoys and the suzerain (russia, whom I had open borders with) something like 11.

Is it impossible to pass through even not ending there?

2. Stacked_Deck

Stacked_Deck Chieftain

If you pick up the gunboat diplomacy card you automatically get open borders with all city states. You could just conquer it if that's too far along the civics tree.

3. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Note that each envoy sent to a city state (by anyone) appears to cause it to acquire a tile.

Stacked_Deck likes this.
  4. Furycrab

Furycrab King

I was thinking about this very problem. In 5 they got cranky if you left a unit in their territory but they weren't "NO YOU SHALL NOT PASS! but please don't declare war on us"

I just had a game where I was sending galleys around a continent, and a CS was blocking my way that I had 2 or 3 envoys, so I wasn't wanting to ditch em, but no Suzerain. Was a little annoying to basically have to wait for Cartography to go around them later.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

That's right. And you will notice that CS's only start with 5 tiles around the city center -- the envoy that is given to the civ that is "first to meet" the CS gives the CS the 6th tile around the city center.