1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City State captured my cities

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Shevek, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Shevek

Shevek Prince

In my last game Stockholm captured 2 of my cities. I thought that was not supposed to happen? :eek:

OK, it were puppet cities and fully undefended. But still, it surprised my somewhat.
    Now Stockholm has 3 cities and that is more then some of the regular AI in the game. :crazyeye:

Attached Files:

2. Padapolis

Padapolis Chieftain

I've had a city state capture cities in my games as well.

3. TheHarshax

TheHarshax Warlord

City States may capture or raze cities, depending on their worth. Honestly, the City State AI is the better computer controlled players of the game.

4. dannythefool

dannythefool King

These look like two capitals and one former city state, you would not have been allowed to raze them either.

5. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

This, surely, is the explanation. Any other city, the CS would have razed.

6. Corbeau

Corbeau Jack of All Trades

Not necessarily true. I've seen city states capture and puppet non-capital cities.

7. Flyingdwarfzz

Flyingdwarfzz Chieftain

Oh, Wow.
    I had no idea that could happen.

Now i will allways annex the city state before i settle next to them XD

8. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Well, if you've definitely seen that then what I said is definitely not true. However, a screen shot would be nice. :)

9. CarloTheCurious

CarloTheCurious Chieftain

I've seen it happen a few times (I like using city states to wage proxy wars :)), although they do usually seem to prefer to raze them.

Attached Files:

10. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

There you go! Very cool :)

11. rjg85

rjg85 Chieftain

In my OCC game I was at war with England who were on another continent. Instead of continuing running a huge financial deficit for my large army I gave all but a few units to city state Vienna (right next to England) before allying myself with them. The Viennese captured two English cities before they had their capital taken, which caused the other two captured cities to be auto-razed. So now Vienna has no cities or territory yet still exists in the diplomacy, so I am still allies with them and still receive the cultural bonus (although all the resources have gone obviously).

12. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Whoah. :wow: That's a little creepy, almost.

13. Shevek

Shevek Prince

I have tried to gift units to city states that were at war as well. I watched them but never saw them using the gifted units. So I just assumed that gifting doesn't really do anything.
    So do CS use gifted units?

Edit: Also what happens if I gift a unique unit? Will the unit keep their special traits then?

14. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

I have only witnessed this happening a few times. I'm wondering, hoe well does the CS use and defend their new cities? Do they just forget about them totally or actually defend them/work tiles/build buildings?

15. Mangas

Mangas Chieftain

I have a question about gifting units to city states. When giving units to a CS on another continent, are the units automatically and instantly transported to that CS's turf, or does the CS actually have to embark and move them over? As in the OP's example, if they must be moved by the CS, then they only become usable in (X) number of turns. If they instantly move to that CS's terrain then they become effective immediately.

16. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Doesn't matter where they are, they dissapear and reappear in the Cs 3 turns later.

17. sonofman

sonofman Chieftain

In one of my games, German was being a real pain but I knew that if I went to war with them they would smote me to ruin... (King difficulty)... Sooo... they went to war with one of the city states and I started pumping units into it. Pretty soon, Germany was surprised to see Dublin suddenly much more advanced army. Dublin then marched into the bordering German cities and took 2 of them with my units. It was one of my favorite moments so far.

18. Qoojo

Qoojo Chieftain

I had one fight along side of me in a battle. My artillery weakened the city, then the city-state took the city before I had a chance. Almost declared war and took them out then and there.

19. Nadrak

Nadrak Chieftain

WOAH :D

City state...one city...captured two cities of yours...? Well you should have been given some achievement for this... :crazyeye::goodjob:

20. Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake GDR Noob

Yep gifting a CS a "few" units to fight off attacking Japanese can cause a CS to evolve into something more...

Spoiler :

Of course it was very welcomed. Having someone else do your dirty work is always nice. Did I mention the free Domination victory I got after they captured Kyoto?

Attached Files: