City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Just tried v13 w/TBC v62. Enabled it last as usual. None of CSD's tech tree choices are showing up, only Thal's changes. Ingame ModList says CSD v13 is loaded.

v11 worked fine w/TBC.

Hmm. Try deleting the five database files in your civ5 cache folder in your my documents folder. If this doesn't work I'll take a look on my end.

I usually delete the cache before going to new mod versions, but I tried it again just to make sure per your suggestion. Still nothing.

btw, I never play CiV without your and Thal's mods. They are a given as far as I'm concerned, which means when one of them doesn't work, I don't play CiV... :eek:

I usually delete the cache before going to new mod versions, but I tried it again just to make sure per your suggestion. Still nothing.

btw, I never play CiV without your and Thal's mods. They are a given as far as I'm concerned, which means when one of them doesn't work, I don't play CiV... :eek:

Hmm...when I get through working today, I will head home and give the code a once-over. Just checking, but were you attempting you to use the latest version (i.e. the one in the post #617)? I can't imagine why it isn't working, as I had it working last night just fine.

Will update you once I've isolated the problem.
G

Does the AI use the diplo units? I just finished a standard emperor pangea game where Greece had allied all but one CS by turn 250. I swear I never saw a single Greek diplo unit going to the city states that were sealed off by my borders. No idea how Greece got to them.

Yes. They will use a mixture of gold gifting and units, with an emphasis on the latter. Don't forget they can also do missions and that, by mid-game, diplo units move fast enough to cross borders and disappear in a turn.

Changing from CSD 12 to CSD 13 crashed my save game. Teach me not to update mods mid-game.

Sorry about the crash! Can you revert back to finish the game?
G

Hmm...when I get through working today, I will head home and give the code a once-over. Just checking, but were you attempting you to use the latest version (i.e. the one in the post #617)? I can't imagine why it isn't working, as I had it working last night just fine.

Will update you once I've isolated the problem.
G

Yes, I got the file from your post 617 this morning.

I'm having the same problem. I even have the new names for the bribery amounts, so I know the mod is loading, but I can't build any diplomatic units or buildings.

I also cleared my cache as I always do before loading a new mod, and tried checking off CSD both before and after TBC. The only other mod I use is InfoAddict.

Hey all,

Here's a new testing version (v14) of CSD. Changes include a reversion to the 'must have x building in all cities' for national wonders (for compatibility purposes), slightly nerfed WTO, UN and EIC, an even more harsh gold-gifting ratio (bribery?), text edits AND new pictures for the EIC and the East Indiaman (nothing fancy).

The problems with buildings/units not appearing should be fixed in this version...a couple of dumb typos seemed to be the problem.

As always, feedback is of the utmost importance- let me know what you think!

I've only got one game so far, but the AI doesn't seem to be doing very well at allying city-states, it's more like back to vanilla. I've definitely seen diplomatic units around though. Other than that, the latest version is great! The bribery ratios feel perfect to me, I just hope that's not what's hanging up the AI. I'm only in the renaissance at the moment, so I'll see if they start to do better later in the game.

I've only got one game so far, but the AI doesn't seem to be doing very well at allying city-states, it's more like back to vanilla. I've definitely seen diplomatic units around though. Other than that, the latest version is great! The bribery ratios feel perfect to me, I just hope that's not what's hanging up the AI. I'm only in the renaissance at the moment, so I'll see if they start to do better later in the game.

I've been running tests and the AI seems to be doing okay with the new build...what type of map are you using? Also, what mods/difficulty? This might help me test the new numbers.

Any other comments?

Thanks!
G

Edit: I know why the AI is acting dumb. It is because I (in my infinite wisdom) did not upload the correct version of CSD. The 'influence-purchasing threshold' in this version (14) is higher than the cost of the influence, so they NEVER spend their money on influence! Ha! Will upload new corrected version when I test it a bit more.
G

New version being posted (v15). Should fix the AI's poor diplomatic performance. Also revamps the entire Patronage tree and tweaks diplomacy AI. Finally, costs have been reevaluated for the entire mod, with late-game unit costs now much higher than before.

List of changes:

1.) Forums are now called 'Assemblies' for flavor and to help the building mesh with the Patronage tree. Also makes it sound decidedly less 'western' and 'classical.' Assemblies are now unlocked at Philosophy (as opposed to Mathematics), have 1 less gold maintenance, grant 33% diplo production boost and are a little more expensive.

2.) Foreign Office is now slightly cheaper and offers a 100% diplo unit production boost. Now grants +3 culture.

3.) East India Company is cheaper (slightly).

4.) WTO now costs 1100.

5.) Patronage Tree:

a.) 'Freemasonry' is now called 'Secret Societies' and has been bumped to 33% production bonus.

b.) Aesthetics grants Assemblies +1 culture (in addition to previous bonus).

c.) Cultural Diplomacy boosts culture output of East India Company by 2 (in addition to previous bonus).

d. Scholasticism grants a free Envoy (in addition to previous bonus).

e.) Educated Elite boosts production by 33% (in addition to previous bonus).

6.) Emissaries have been moved to Banking (from Printing Press).

7.) Diplomats have been moved to Steam Power (from Railroad).

As always, let me know what you think! We are nearing a final release!

G

Sounds great, I'll try it after I finish my current game. I did notice that the AI was able to ally with a few later in the game who were right next door to them, so it makes sense that they're only using diplomatic units and no cash at all. I think the problem is also that the pathfinding almost never lets a diplomatic unit into the CS territory, because they have so many units that their territory is often completely full. Is that this mod that gives them such big armies, or could that be TBC doing it?

A couple small nitpicks, which may already be addressed in v15 but I thought I'd mention:
* I saw an indiaman unit inside a landlocked AI city that could never get out.
* I conquered an AI city and the foreign office still existed and I got to keep it (hadn't built it yet myself). Is that supposed to happen?
* The puppet state AI seems to LOVE building forums, even thought they're not very useful. It's generally the second thing they build, after a monument.

Sounds great, I'll try it after I finish my current game. I did notice that the AI was able to ally with a few later in the game who were right next door to them, so it makes sense that they're only using diplomatic units and no cash at all. I think the problem is also that the pathfinding almost never lets a diplomatic unit into the CS territory, because they have so many units that their territory is often completely full. Is that this mod that gives them such big armies, or could that be TBC doing it?

A couple small nitpicks, which may already be addressed in v15 but I thought I'd mention:
* I saw an indiaman unit inside a landlocked AI city that could never get out.
* I conquered an AI city and the foreign office still existed and I got to keep it (hadn't built it yet myself). Is that supposed to happen?
* The puppet state AI seems to LOVE building forums, even thought they're not very useful. It's generally the second thing they build, after a monument.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'll respond to your questions/comments one-by-one:

1.) CSs unit maintenance capacity is a weird beast. I haven't looked at Thal's mod in detail to see what he does about it, but CSD does tweak the gold production capacity of CSs to keep them from having huge armies. This value may need to be adjusted (esp. since the new patches have made it easier and easier for small one to three city empires). We can tamper with different values to see if it makes a difference– ultimately if CSs are too weak the AI will pounce on them.

2.) Indiamen do sometimes spawn in landlocked cities...haven't yet figured that one out. Seems to be random.

3.) The FO (IIRC) has a 66% destruction chance...I should probably make it 100% so players can't get two.

4.) Puppets like the Forum because of its culture bonus...I'll see if there is a way to turn down the puppet-love.

Thanks again!
G

1.) CSs unit maintenance capacity is a weird beast. I haven't looked at Thal's mod in detail to see what he does about it, but CSD does tweak the gold production capacity of CSs to keep them from having huge armies. This value may need to be adjusted (esp. since the new patches have made it easier and easier for small one to three city empires). We can tamper with different values to see if it makes a difference– ultimately if CSs are too weak the AI will pounce on them.

Thy seem to be a bit too strong currently. In my entire game I never once saw an AI capture one, and three different CSs grew to two-three cities from conquest, with a few others capturing cities and razing them.

2.) Indiamen do sometimes spawn in landlocked cities...haven't yet figured that one out. Seems to be random.

In this particular case, I believe the AI who built it only had one coastal city (the one where it was built), if that's useful.

3.) The FO (IIRC) has a 66% destruction chance...I should probably make it 100% so players can't get two.

That sounds good to me.

4.) Puppets like the Forum because of its culture bonus...I'll see if there is a way to turn down the puppet-love.

I figured it was something like that, but it seemed odd that they'd favor it over even a temple, which I'd think would be a better deal culture-wise. Is it possible to flag it as a military building so puppets won't build it, like the barracks and others?

Thanks again!
G

Thank you for this great mod, and for listening to my feeble opinions :)

Thy seem to be a bit too strong currently. In my entire game I never once saw an AI capture one, and three different CSs grew to two-three cities from conquest, with a few others capturing cities and razing them.

In this particular case, I believe the AI who built it only had one coastal city (the one where it was built), if that's useful.

That sounds good to me.

I figured it was something like that, but it seemed odd that they'd favor it over even a temple, which I'd think would be a better deal culture-wise. Is it possible to flag it as a military building so puppets won't build it, like the barracks and others?

Thank you for this great mod, and for listening to my feeble opinions :)

Not feeble at all! I am but one person, and I often miss problems/glitches when I am not looking for them.

As these problems/changes are not game-breaking (and most require extensive testing) it may be a few days before I can solve them. So, feel free to play a few games with the current version without fear of its impending obsolescence!
G

Top Bottom