City-state elimination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antananarivo (Cultural) - 20
Auckland (Industrial) - 22
Babylon (Scientific) - 19
Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 25
Geneva (Scientific) - 5
Hattusa (Scientific) -8 (7+1)It's a Science CS, and honestly even a blank Science CS would probably be better then most of the non-Science CS's here. This one allows you much more security in strategic resources and you often won't have to waste time trying to settle them. Considering there is often little time between discovering a resource and using it (such as niter, coal, and especially oil), this is very important for timing attacks since you can just focus on research-- so that's some very high synergy.
Kabul (Militaristic) - 15
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Nan Madol (Cultural) – 23
Stockholm (Scientific) - 28
Valetta (Militaristic) - 14 (17-3) Obsolete after Rise and Fall. It used to have a niche use in setting up quick walls but with Magnus this is pretty redundant. Most of the other buildings it can use are pretty useless too and worst off, you need faith generation and if you have faith generation, there's plenty of other things to spend it on. Maybe if you have Goddess of the Harvest, but if you have that you probably want to chop walls out anyways.......
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Last edited:
Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 25 + 1 = 26 Definitely helpful if you happen to be surrounded by bonus resources and could use more amenities.
Geneva (Scientific) - 5 - 3 = 2 Don't get me wrong, I like every bit of science that I can get and I usually try to go for this one if I'm not planning on being aggressive. I just think its one of the weaker ones remaining among these strong contenders since you've gotta hope that someone doesn't declare war on you for any reason.
Hattusa (Scientific) - 8
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Valetta (Militaristic) - 14
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 26
Geneva (Scientific) - 2 - 3 = ELIMINATED Weakest science CS remaining; suzerainty over it means nothing when warmongering
Hattusa (Scientific) - 8 + 1 = 9 Having suzerainty over this can mean the difference between winning and losing a war, because it means less need to settle a bad city just for that one strategic resource and production is important
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 23 (26 - 3) Zanzibar is a far better source of amenities.
Hattusa (Scientific) 10 (9 + 1) Knights win games, and this gives you access to them when they may not be available in any other way.

Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 23
Hattusa (Scientific) 10
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Stockholm (Scientific) - 25 (28-3) Because I have to downvote, and I like to keep runaways at bay. Nothing personal, Stockholm.
Valetta (Militaristic) - 15 (14+1) Building city infrastructure with faith isn’t something to sneeze at.
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Babylon (Scientific) - 20 = 19 + 1. Awesome if you're going for a cultural victory. If you become suzerain of this you can focus a lot more on theater districts/buildings which directly helps your win condition.
Hattusa (Scientific) - 7 = 10 - 3. The suzerain bonus is really only useful early game for iron and maybe horses. You can warmonger without the other resources so it loses a lot of value in the mid and late game. And if you are warmongering in the mid/late game, you probably have captured enough territory that you will have at least 1 node of all resources. As for science vs other city states, science is probably the most useful resource but it isn't so far ahead of culture/gold and situationally faith, that focusing exclusively on science is always the best option.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 22
Stockholm (Scientific) - 25
Valetta (Militaristic) - 15
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Babylon (Scientific) - 20
Hattusa (Scientific) - 7
Kabul (Militaristic) - 16 (15+1) This is a top 5 city state, easily. Even if you're playing peacefully, when you get invaded and all your guns and arrows shoot twice per turn at your attackers because you got to the double attack promotions twice as fast, you're going to be able to actually guarantee peace.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) - 19 (22-3) Overrated compared to the other cs still left at this point.
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Hattusa (Scientific) – 4 --- A very dicey play given an AI flush with envoys, or in the mood to add another the CS to its inventory of cities.
Kabul (Militaristic) - 16
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20 --- The bigger they are, the harder they fall (in love with Muscat).
Spoiler +46 Amenities!!! :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_26_2018 7_10_11 AM_LI.jpg

Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 21 (20+1) - I see whats still ahead of it and I gotta +1. Not just useful for culture games.. very useful for late suze to help get critical policies for science victory as well.
Hattusa (Scientific) – 1 (4-3) - It's getting tougher to down-vote because everything left has some usefulness. However, this is the only CS that has actually bitten me... Suzed to upgrade to swords only to have it conquered and unable to liberate because... my swords were now unable to heal.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 21
Auckland (Industrial) - 23 (22+1) Makes early sea tile boni on par with most land tiles, and mid-late game, coupled with Liang's Aquaculture, makes port cities more than viable
Hattusa (Scientific) – (-3) ELIMINATED Good to suzerain at the beginning, but once you've used your Hattusan imported horses/iron to clear barbs and settle on or conquer someone else's horses/iron, it's better to take the city for yourself than let someone else do the same. By the mid-game, the other CS left are more useful
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Auckland (Industrial) - 23
Kabul (Militaristic) - 16+1=17 - I'm able to enjoy the fruits of this CS (very experienced units) even after I lose the suzerain.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Nan Madol (Cultural) – 23-3=20 - Out of the remining three cultural CS, this one seems the weakest to me. It forces me to put districts on less useful spots in order to gain the bonus, and if it's conquered/I lose the suzerain, I'm left with less efective districts in my coastal cities.
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Auckland (Industrial) - 24 (23+1 like to play other maps than pangea sometimes and this is a powerful ally to have)
Kabul (Militaristic) -17
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Nan Madol (Cultural) – 20
Valetta (Militaristic) - 12 (15-3) (monuments are good but granaries is normally not needed and walls are for chopping in. If I have faith I will try for golden age and buy civilians)
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 23

Auckland (Industrial) - 25 (24+1) I like bonuses that are always helpful, and never useless
Kabul (Militaristic) -17
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Valetta (Militaristic) - 12
Yerevan (Religious) - 10
Zanzibar (Trade) - 20 (23-3) Amenties are easy to come by, and this doesn’t scale with the population and size of your empire

Auckland (Industrial) - 26 (25+1) Love water maps, so it's an important CS for me
Kabul (Militaristic) -17
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Yerevan (Religious) - 7 (10-3) Don't care about religion in game (always turn victory condition off)
Zanzibar (Trade) - 20

Auckland (Industrial) - 26
Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 20 (23 - 3) You can debate how highly the amenity CS should be rated relative to CS with other types of bonuses, but it seems clear to me that within this category Zanzibar is much stronger than the other options. Buenos Aires would require 12 bonus resources (there are 10 in the game) to provide as many amenities as Zanzibar gets automatically. Muscat theoretically has the potential to provide a lot more, but in practice, it's highly unlikely that you'll exceed 12 commercial hubs in the competitive stages of the game.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Yerevan (Religious) - 7
Zanzibar (Trade) - 21 (20 + 1) see above

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 22 = 21 + 1. I like to focus on great people so Antananarivo is usually the best option for my playstyle if I want a lot of culture.
Buenos Aires (Industrial) - 20
Kumasi (Cultural) - 23
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Nan Madol (Cultural) – 17 = 20 - 3. The culture gained from this compared to Antananarivo & Kumasi is more situational and really weak.
Yerevan (Religious) - 7
Zanzibar (Trade) - 22

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 22
Kumasi (Cultural) - 24 (23 + 1) Game play style comes into play here, but for me this is likely to generate more culture than the other culture-boosting City States. And depending on the other options for where you could send your trade routes, it could also provide extra gold, or at least ensure you can trade with a City State at no opportunity cost in terms of possible gold.
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Nan Madol (Cultural) – 17
Valetta (Militaristic) - 9 (12 - 3) Post R&F, there are more options for things to spend Faith on, making this bonus relatively weaker than the others, especially as it comes from a Militaristic City State, and I rarely have more than one Encampment.
Yerevan (Religious) - 7
Zanzibar (Trade) - 21 [EDITED per BenitoChavez's post]

Last edited:
Zanzibar should be at 21. I accidentally added a point in post #196 because I was going to vote for it, but decided to vote for Antanarivo instead and never took the point away from Zanzibar. Oops.

Kabul (Militaristic) -18 (17+1) As was pointed out above, one of the few CSes that keep giving even if you lose it.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 24
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Valetta (Militaristic) - 9
Yerevan (Religious) - 4 (7-3) Religious Victory is a tedious and boring grind, having suz of this might tempt you to go for it. Just say no.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 21

Ditto to Icicle's statements plus…

Kabul (Militaristic) -19 (18+1) As was pointed out above, one of the few CSes that keep giving even if you lose it.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 24
Muscat (Trade) – 20
Valetta (Militaristic) - 9
Yerevan (Religious) - 1 (4-3) Religious Victory is a tedious, boring and stressful grind (always having to wonder when the crazy AI will declare and decimate all my apostles with it’s technologically backward but high movement horse units), having suz of this might tempt you to go for it. Just say no.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom