1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] City State Emergencies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ferenginar, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

I like the general idea, but I have a few issues with the execution.
    1. When presented with a emergency, you cannot review the situation prior to making your decision. Current example, Korea takes Buenos Aires, do I wish to help. Where is Buenos Aires, somewhere near Korea, how long will it take to get my units there, is it coastal, of near coastal so that I can bombard with my fleet of frigates, or do I need bombards...? A quick return to main screen could tell me all of this, but no, I have to remember.
    2. I agree, so does Persia, it's near coastal, ten turns to get frigates in place, and city captured by Rifleman 4 turns later. I get to share the bounty with Persia, who did absolutely nothing towards rescuing Buenos Aires.
    3. The rifleman was immediately ejected from the city, in to Korean Territory, adjacent to an encampment, and a Korean rifleman, and gets killed. Thanks very much.
    I am loving the game, the new aspects, the new civs, but I definitely think it needs a few tweaks.

2. really

really Deity

The nature of an emergency surely means that you don't have the opportunity to reflect - a decision needs to be made.

3. valerislysander

valerislysander Chieftain

I had one of these city state emergencies in my second game of R&F. It was against my neighbor the Cree. It was a really fun mid-game event. I'd been to war with the Cree in the early game and had some loyalty issues with them so was great to go to war and liberate the City-state they had taken.
    I would say one thing though I got tonnes of gold from it as I was the only Civ to accept and so I had an endless pot of money until I won. Probably to much but it was a nice reward :)

4. Architect

Architect Prince

You can dismiss the emergency panel without making a decision and examine the map before accepting the emergency.

5. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

This really bugs me. I had the same issue when I liberated Germany. I even restored Barbarossa to life and the first thing he did was kick me out of his territory; half my army ended up in the ocean and the other half was deposited right into enemy territory! Fortunately it was next to an unwalled and undefended city so they didn't die, but still really inconvenient to have my army split like that. They gave me open borders the second I asked for them, so not a big deal, but I thought, shouldn't it default to open borders? I mean, I just liberated your country and I'm currently occupying it, bud, I don't think you're in any situation to dictate terms to me.

The cherry on top was that, a couple of turns later, Barbarossa denounced me for being a warmonger! Now that's gratitude for you! I had no warmonger penalty with any other civ (certainly not after liberating Germany), but Barbarossa still had a -27 modifier from about a thousand years earlier when he was wiped out! Seems the AI's diplomatic opinions don't get reset on defeat and revival, they just stay exactly as they were when they were defeated.

cairnsy44 and Art Morte like this.
  6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Turn 70 I wipe out Peri’s capital and he has one city and nontroops while I have 30 swordsmen. Emergency occurs where he is the only person trying to get his city back, it’s just like a free gift, it’s not just speeding up the end game.

7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Of course, sometimes you mis-judge. I had a case where Chandra captured Kandy, which was right next to me, and the emergency came on. I figured, city-state near me, my troops only need one turn to finish off one of Harald's cities, and then I can come back with 4-5 archers and a few swordsmen and take Kandy. Should be an easy bonus for me.

Well, let's just say hills and jungle are a pain. My troops take a long time to actually get into position, and by the time they do, India now has a couple elephants around. And because Kandy is completely in jungle, the only spots with a shot at the city are right next door. But an archer attacking a 40-defense city, while also getting a -5 combat boost from an adjacent Vary, means that I'm basically not dealing any damage.

I ended up taking peace, and now am re-evaluating the situation. He just got walls up too, and after the peace deal expires, I have 4 or 5 turns to liberate the city. Trying to figure out if I have enough time to quickly chop out 2 catapults and a ram, have everyone set up, walk my troops to the city, and take it down. I don't think it's worth the risk, since in reality I'll only have about 2 turns to bombard the city, and I don't think I can take out the city in that time.

So, yeah, looks like I'm going to fail this emergency.

8. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Haha I'm having a similar situation in my current game. Teddy betrayed me; friends and allies for the whole game, though to be fair he wasn't a fan of my chopping. Then joint-DoW with Australia the second I promoted Amani to Puppeteer, and raised my emissary count in Toronto from 20 to 40. I'm pretty sure that's what prompted it; despite being friends Teddy and I had been in a bit of a cold war for influence over Toronto for the entire game, and when I skunked him he took it badly and declared war. Emergency - 80 turns to take Washington, which seemed doable. Unfortunately, Toronto is surrounded by hills and its border with America is very mountainous; add Teddy's rough-rider hills bonus and it's taken me a good 20 turns just to secure Toronto, haven't even begun my invasion of America. The majority of my navy is on the other side of the world dealing with Gorgo - and now Australia, too - so they can't take Charleston for me, which would make my push for Washington way easier (screenshots follow).

I think I should still be able to do it, but man, 20 turns in I figured I'd at least be in American territory.

Spoiler :
    20180218112137_1.jpg 20180218223244_1.jpg 20180218234755_1.jpg

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Has anyone seen an AI actually accept an emergency yet? I think this an area that could use some tuning. In my experience so far they ignore them, which just results in ludicrous gains for the human player if they accept and can pull it off.

10. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Yes, 4 joined together against me (as Russia) when I converted some
    of Rome's cities to my religion, and they won by converting it back.

Thibaulthc and blackcatatonic like this.
  11. blackcatatonic

That's good to hear. I may have just been unlucky so far.

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Maybe, but that's once in about 50 games so far. A few joined in a
    couple of other times, but I didn't finish the games so I don't know
    exactly how many joined.

13. blackcatatonic

I was a little peeved when Shaka failed to join the emergency against Lautaro in my last game when he took Geneva: Shaka's random agenda was the city-state protector one as well. So he got annoyed but didn't lift a finger to help :undecide:

14. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I've played about 10 games through to the end and had a few emergencies against me, often just one civ joins and its free stuff but I have had 3 and felt paranoid for a wee while.

15. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

How? I have only seen the accept /reject options, I shall have to pay a bit more attention next time.

16. King Rad

King Rad Warlord

I have had two emergencies against me in my current game. Seondeok and Shaka declared a joint war against me. I took one of her cities - which she never should have settled since it was in the northern area of my continent, completely controlled by me. An emergency occurred a couple of turns later, but only Seondeok joined in. My three allies and one friend did not join against me, and I had just reached a peace agreement with Shaka the turn before the emergency. I agreed to peace with Seondeok on the turn after the emergency - so an emergency in which I was never attacked and nobody actually tried to take the city back. Shaka declared a formal war against me later, and I took one of Shaka's cities. Again, an emergency, but only Shaka accepted this time. And Seondeok and Shaka have again just declared a formal war against me and I plan on taking a couple of their cities, so possible will be the target of yet another emergency. Slightly off point - in spite of taking one of Seondeok's cities and two of Shaka's, the highest warmongering penalty I have is 3 from each of them and 2 from Washington. None from anybody else.

17. Corozivu

Corozivu Chieftain

In my latest game I played England and got stuck with the largest continent ive ever seen on archipelago map(so no free units at all) but Ive managed to kill 2 AI so all good for the first part. I noticed I was getting good deals on my trades 4-5 gold per turn , even 11 once probably out of desperation. The moment an emergency started trade deals got back to 1g per luxury item or at best 2g per turn and open borders. Also no more friendships. Was it the war , the emergency itself or what ? I was the only member trying go get Kabul(which was my vassal before this started) back from Scythia . Did it in 34 turns, peaced out without taking anything else and still no change. Saladin wanted 4 luxuries plus iron for 6 gpt and open borders whereas 60 turns or so earlier he payed 11 gpt just for one luxury. Green faces all around , almost everyone in a golden age... If there is a pattern here I just cant see it :| .

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The X in the top right corner of the pop up box. I only know since I seen the Devs do it on their live stream. It really is important to evaluate the situation.

ferenginar likes this.
  19. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I have played a game and a half and have yet to see one emergency. :/

20. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

You are only invited to join if you have a stake in it, (ie: have envoys)