1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] City State Emergencies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ferenginar, Feb 19, 2018.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

My first game had like 9 emergencies. The second zero. This one so far zero.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

question on city-state emergencies. It says I get +1 gold for each of my envoys. Is that each of my envoys at every single city state? Like merchant confederation?

3. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I love being a CS Suzerain....so I have lots of envoys out there. Could be a fluke. Maybe I just need to put Germany in there....Fred loves gobbling up CS.

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yep, it's a pretty sweet bonus if you get it early enough. My first game I went from being hovering around 0 gold per turn with about 50 bucks in the bank, to having 1600 gold and making like +40 per turn (once I started spending the money I got on markets and such). Huge boost to win it if you can.

5. MIS

MIS Prince

I just played where I had one envoy, no-one else had any (I even had a green face), and was not offered an "emergency" when it was captured. Do I need to be the suzerain? What exactly needs to happen? Thanks, MIS

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I think you have to be relatively close. I only had 1 or 2 envoys in my nearby city-state when Kongo captured it. I was just about to declare on the Mapuche to grab one of their cities when it came up. Thankfully I had time to do both despite the city-state being on the other side of my empire.

7. MIS

MIS Prince

How close? I was about 10 tiles away, with an envoy.

Many Thanks,
    MIS

8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Aren't all emergencies a random chance after a triggering event? With a control tracker to keep the game from having too many emergencies too quickly? Or possibly just a reduced chance if another emergency is already in progress somewhere else in the globe. The devs talked about this in the emergencies deep dive, I believe.

9. MIS

MIS Prince

So I would need envoys, proximate and luck? Emergencies seem like such a game-defining moment - you can get like 3600 gold if you prepare for it properly. I was hoping to cause them on purpose when I knew I could win.

10. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

I've seen 2 emergencies in 4 games. I failed both of them. One was a war emergency, after Alex captured my capital. Nobody else helped. He won the emergency by eliminating me. The other was a city state. Other side of the world, hoped an AI would also join and win, no luck.

11. isau

isau Deity

In my most recent game as Arabia, Brazil very foolishly triggered an Emergency by capturing Palenque around Turn 120, literally moments after I had just gotten done smashing a beleaguered Netherlands into polder dust, so I had catapults at the ready. It just so happened Palenque was adjacent my second largest city, Bagdhad. It was a quick march to Palenque to liberate it, followed by a reward of 3000+ Gold and then some. I used the gold to buy as many Catapults as I could and within 20 turns had completely destroyed the Brazilian empire (taking them from 6 cities to 0--with Sao Paulo flipping culturally).

upload_2018-2-20_20-24-1.png

12. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Prince

I think Target's score is also taken in account for prompting or not an emergency.

13. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I presume the inability to plan for triggering emergencies is part of what the designers were going for. As you say, emergencies are a possible game changing moment, but they sit outside of your overall game strategy, so when they do pop up, they force you to decide whether to alter course to deal with them or not.

It's early days. Someone may figure out a way to build triggering an emergency into their core strategy.

14. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

In my last game, I triggered the Religion emergency every time I converted a Holy City, except the one time the city was a Free City. I even had two civs against me in one of them. For some reason, a civ can be a participant in a religious emergency even if they can't effect the outcome in any way. I had fully converted Persia to my religion, and was now working on Korea, who was on the other side of the map. When the emergency sprang up for her holy city, Persia joined in too, even though we weren't at war, and he had no cities that could produce any religious units that weren't of my religion. Ended up being more free money. I encountered almost no resistance pushing my Aztec Islam to the world.

15. MIS

MIS Prince

Were you 1st place on the religious civ-ranking each time?

16. Athmos

Athmos Warlord

We'll definitely formulate techniques to at least influence emergencies probability, and depending on the formulas, even predictable.

CS emergencies look like a great candidate for first tests.

17. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

I was first in Religious ranking. I just found it odd that Persia would join an emergency where he couldn't contribute without DoW'ing me, then marching his troops halfway across the world, to maybe have the chance to aid Korea in booting my religion out.

18. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Maybe he wanted to share in the spoils while Korea does all the work. :)