City State Empires?

Iberian

Prince
For those who didn't watch the live stream it was mentioned that a City State could conquer another city if whoever they were attacking played really bad.

So who plans on helping a city state become its own empire? Bribing it into war and then laying waste to whatever cities it attacks so it can conquer them. Might have to drop to Prince to pull it off but seems like a fun game to try once.

I wonder if you can gift cities to a city state. That would be pretty interesting.

I think its confirmed that city states will either destroy cities they take during war, or make them puppet states. So they will never have a full bordered empire.

That really sounds interesting. I hope I can get city state allies to actually start conquering stuff.

I definitely plan to build city-state empires and create buffer states from them. It'll be fun!

I think its confirmed that city states will either destroy cities they take during war, or make them puppet states. So they will never have a full bordered empire.

The opposite was actually confirmed in the 2kGreg live video.

I thought it was the producer (garrett (sp)) talking about them. I kinda hope he was wrong since it goes against the city state description and idea.

Either way, I have no interest in messing around trying to grow city state empires. I'll be more concerned with growing my own empire.

The opposite was actually confirmed in the 2kGreg live video.

I think he just said "take cites". From a Civ4 perspective, we don't think of puppet cities as taking them. From a civ5 perspective where we still eat some of their happiness and they are a part of our cultural border, you are taking them, you just aren't controlling them. Now I'm not saying City-States won't annex cities, I'm just saying don't read too much into his terminology.

If the city-state can't raise the city, one would expect that the city will just turn into a new city-state, as having a puppet state for a city-state doesn't really make sense, we won't know for sure till someone explains it properly, or we see it ingame.

It doesn't matter if it's a puppet or not. There's no indication as such for us to observe. If a city-state takes a city, it will appear as part of it's "empire" whether it's a puppet or not. Like all puppet states.

They're cities under an empires control that essentially have "city governer" turned on and don't produce units and/or wonders. It's not like a vassal or something. It's just another city in the empire that isn't directly controlled.

Also, I think this is excellent for mods and scenarios, as you can really flesh out minor nations, giving them greater territory than just single cities. I can see many medieval scenarios, based on the holy roman empire for example, which contained kingdoms of various sizes, utilizing the ability to give city-states more territory. Such a scenario would be pretty sweet actually because you could either conquer the empire, or be elected Holy Roman Empire... which could work exactly like the diplo victory already works ~ Requiring you to gain the support of the most kingdoms.

If the city-state can't raise the city, one would expect that the city will just turn into a new city-state, as having a puppet state for a city-state doesn't really make sense, we won't know for sure till someone explains it properly, or we see it ingame.

From what he said in the video I think it will just be part of the original city state. There are only X number of city states to start the game just like X number of Civs. I don't think they will just add more, especially since there is a max per map size.

I like the idea, but we'll probably have to wait to see if we can create City-State empires.

From what he said in the video I think it will just be part of the original city state. There are only X number of city states to start the game just like X number of Civs. I don't think they will just add more, especially since there is a max per map size.

Well actually he didnt say that specifically, he didnt explain it very well in my opinion, also theirs the fact that from a gameplay prespective, the city-state could conquer the world in which case, nobody would win, not even the conquering city-state, does that sound like a good mechanic. Not to me, I would prefer that such a foolish loss of a city to said city-state will result in another one popping up, its such a rare occurance it's not really going to ruin the game.

Well actually he didnt say that specifically, he didnt explain it very well in my opinion, also theirs the fact that from a gameplay prespective, the city-state could conquer the world in which case, nobody would win, not even the conquering city-state, does that sound like a good mechanic. Not to me, I would prefer that such a foolish loss of a city to said city-state will result in another one popping up, its such a rare occurance it's not really going to ruin the game.

Of course he didn't mention it very well because only someone thinking outside the box would do this. In Civ I development no one mentioned winning with one city or building a city every two squares either.

This should be a Steam Achievement. Have an allied City State achieve a domination victory!

I will try just because it would be fun. To me anyway.

I just plan on allying with any city-state I find. I predict that things will go very badly if I provoke them.

I plan on allying with them too...just like Microsoft does!

Embrace, Extinguish, Extend.

Oh, the basic 3X of any 4X...

Top Bottom