City State Empires

Szpilman

Void Co. Chairman
I'm rounding up the first release for a mod that aims to make City States more competitive and expansive while not necessarily aggressive, amongst other very cool to be announced features (as I'm whipping up some Lua).

For now I want to set a roster with each Civ having 3 City States tied to it.
This is what I have so far:

Russia
  • Warsaw
  • Helsinki
  • Opera's Riga (Maritime)
England
  • Edinburgh
  • Dublin
  • Request: Wales/Cardiff
Rome
  • Genoa
  • Ragusa
  • Opera's Carthage (Maritime)
Germany
  • Copenhagen
  • Oslo
  • Vienna
Ottoman
  • Bucharest
  • Budapest
  • Belgrade
France
  • Brussels
  • Monaco
  • Geneva
Japan
  • Seoul => No Civ
  • Request: Ryukyu (Cultured)
  • Request: Ezo (Militaristic)
  • Request: Okinawa/Shikotan
Siam
  • Hanoi
  • zappara's Malacca
  • Opera's Davao (Maritime)
China
  • Lhasa
  • zappara's Macau
  • zappara's Hong Kong
India
  • Almaty
  • Shiggs' Bandar Seri Begawan
  • Garett20's Anuradhapura
Songhai
  • zappara's Koumbi Saleh
  • Opera's Accra
  • Request: any suggestions?
Persia
  • Sidon
  • Tyre (or Babylon?)
  • zappara's Samarkand
Arabia
  • zappara's Anfa
  • Opera's Addis Abeba
  • Opera's Khartoum
Greece
  • zappara's Troy
  • Request: Antioch
  • Request: Cyrene
Aztec
  • Opera's Cuzco (Militaristic)
  • Opera's Tikal (Militaristic)
  • Opera's Calakmul (Militaristic)
America
  • Garett20's Vancouver
  • Requests: some Puerto Rican, Guam, and or military bases?
Iroquois
  • Opera's Quebec City (Cultured)
  • Request: Ottawa
  • Request: some tribe's main city?
Babylon
  • Garett201's Eridu
  • Request: Ur
  • Request: Ashur
Egypt
  • Shiggs' Aksum
  • Garett20's Hattusa
  • Request: Punt/Jerusalem

Some City States might not be a good fit for any existing Civ, they can be left as extra as long as each Civ gets it's fair share.
Kuala Lumpur
Singapore
Rio de Janeiro
Cape Town
Stockholm
Venice
Florence
Shiggs' Madrid
Shiggs' Sydney
Shiggs' Karakorum
Garett20's Luxembourg
Opera's Havana
Opera's Antananarivo (Maritime)
Opera's Buenos Aires (Maritime)

These are City States from other mods, that I'd love to integrate into my mod, and give proper credit, so I'd want to know if the creators grant permission, and then under which Civ these guys would fit:
The ones in bold are being currently considered

Garett20's Extra City States - Permission Granted
  • Vancouver
  • Troy
  • Anuradhapura
  • Luxembourg
  • Salt Lake City
  • Havana

Opera's City States of the World - Permission Granted
Africa
  • Antananarivo (Maritime)
  • Accra (Cultured, should be Maritime? I'd rather use a new culture CS)
  • Khartoum (Militaristic)
  • Zanzibar (Maritime)
  • Ulundi (Militaristic)
  • Addis Abeba (Cultured)
  • Carthage (Maritime)
Americas
  • Cuzco (Militaristic)
  • Tikal (Militaristic)
  • Calakmul (Militaristic)
  • Quebec (Cultured)
  • Buenos Aires (Maritime)
  • Mexico (Cultured)
  • Havanna (Maritime)
Eurasia
  • Riga (Maritime, a personal favorite)
  • Samarkand (Cultured)
  • Davao (Maritime)

zappara's Historic City States - Permission Granted
  • Samarkand
  • Malacca
  • Khotan
  • Troy
  • Milan
  • Koumbi Saleh
  • Anfa
  • Macau
  • Hong Kong

Shiggs Earth - Permission Granted
  • Madrid
  • Sydney
  • Bandar Seri Begawan
  • Karakorum

my Shiggs earth mod adds Madrid, Sydney, Bandar Seri Begawan, and Karakorum if you want any of those go for it. It also has Cuzco as cultural I believe, but I see you already have them listed.

Of course! Just mention it somewhere and you can take anything I make ;)

Accra could be Songhai, Davao Siam, Addis Abeba and Khartoum for Arabia. Tikal, Calakmul and Mexico for Aztecs maybe. Russia could have Riga and America Québec.

I'd switch Warsaw to Germany and Helsinki to Russia though.

Japan:
Ryukyu (Cultured)
Ezo (Militaristic)
I think Korea should maybe belong to China since historically they were a tributary state of China for much of their history. And maybe replace them with Emishi (Militaristic), or Kumaso (Militaristic), or if you want a more modern one, Taiwan (Seafaring).

Egypt:
Punt (Cultured)
Kush (Militaristic)
Israel (Militaristic)

I don't think city-state has to be literal, but I think we can expand it to smaller civs or historical colonies/tributaries.

Others:
Aztecs:
Zapotecs
Mayapan
Toltecs

America:
Pueto Rico
Hawaii
The Philippines

Iroquois:
Choctaw
Cherokee
Lakota

England:
Scotland
Wales
Ireland

India:
Sri Lanka
Nepal

Babylon:
Kazallu
Sumer

What does it mean, mechanically, that they are tied to a major power?

As of the first release, it means they'll start quite close to their Civ and share their icon and primary color, but otherwise can be allied by anyone just the same.
Subsequent releases should see some powerful mechanics to start adding some new functionality to CS based on this ethnic approach.

I've mentioned in my Historic city states thread that you can use my mod in any way you want in your own modding projects. :)

Thanks zappara, I'll gladly make good use of your nice City States ;)

Japan:
Ryukyu (Cultured)
Ezo (Militaristic)
I think Korea should maybe belong to China since historically they were a tributary state of China for much of their history. And maybe replace them with Emishi (Militaristic), or Kumaso (Militaristic), or if you want a more modern one, Taiwan (Seafaring).

Egypt:
Punt (Cultured)
Kush (Militaristic)
Israel (Militaristic)

I don't think city-state has to be literal, but I think we can expand it to smaller civs or historical colonies/tributaries.
(...)

Wow, thanks ShiroKobbure! I love the suggestions for Egypt & Japan! (then I could finally give Seoul to China :D) As for the other ones they are great pointers, but I'd like to keep in the spirit of cities, not full nations. Maybe some smaller ones like Hawaii and Wales would work good, though.
Could Lhasa move out of China?

Now if someone'd add these to a mod.. ;)
p.s. modding City States is easy enough and pedia entries can come from wikipedia without much effort, but I prefer a history-minded person does a mod that I can include in mine rather than me creating them directly--while I keep working on mechanics.

You can use mine! Anuradhapura could be linked with India, I might have more with later versions.
EDIT: Version 2 will include Hattusa, they can be linked with the egyptians
EDIT2: After looking at Babylon on wiki I think I will make a Lagash(Babylon) city state, as well as a Glasgow(England) city state.

You can use mine! Anuradhapura could be linked with India, I might have more with later versions.
EDIT: Version 2 will include Hattusa, they can be linked with the egyptians
EDIT2: After looking at Babylon on wiki I think I will make a Lagash(Babylon) city state, as well as a Glasgow(England) city state.

Awesome! That would be very, very much appreciated ;)
I'm also interested in the Canadian ones for America, and maybe some New York/Toronto/Quebec for Iroquois?

I don't think it makes much sense for Japan to have Seoul since that was only for 100 years in the modern era.. maybe Seoul goes to China makes more sense since China had Korea for much longer.

Nice stuff, great iniciative =D

I don't know if that's the default (or only) behaviour when CS take another players cities, but they always raze it for me (I didn't play much yet, more exploring the modding possibilities), do you aim to change that?

Yes, that is a must! For now (for the first release), all I can think of is always enabling No City Razing from options, in fact hiding that option. Would that be a bad move?

Since we don't yet have access to the Lua API it's kinda hard to get a feel for how to accomplish such tasks.

Hm I personally wouldn't like hiding options, and I sure like to raze cities when needed =P

I understand the Lua API docs issue, but you could try a little trick, using PE Explorer as Cope said on his thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386445 . Not that it will replace the documentation, never, but you can always learn something by example (I personally learn faster this way - by example -, but obviously with a manual in hand :D)

Best luck there

Tyre and Sidon could potentially be Egyptian-tied city-states as well.

Extras for Babylon: Asshur, Ur

Ones that could be for Egypt or Babylon:
Jerusalem

Either Babylon or Persia:
Elam, Medes (check to make sure they're not Persian cities, Elam probably is)

Just Egypt:
Punt

You could consider giving Ragusa to Greece, just for geographic reasons. Consider giving the United States Rio.

Others for either the Iroquois or Americans or Aztecs:
Pueblo, Cherokee, Huron, Powhattan, Seminole, Souix (I'm naming tribes here, perhaps I can do some research and find actual city choices). Quebec, Ottowa, Buenos Aires, Havana, Bogota.
Sorry about name spam there. My suggestions for America are Buenos Aires, Bogota, and Manila. Any significant tribal ones and any Canadian ones can go to the Iroquois. The Aztecs are better off with mesoamerican ones like the Olmec, although the Hopi/Pueblo tribes might deserve inclusion in that area.

England:
Dublin, Edinburgh, Cardiff

For Siam, consider adding Angkor to the game (so the Khmer aren't left out in the cold). You could also give them my Manila suggestion from above.

Those are my suggestions at least.

One civilization I'd like to make is Venice.

If so, you could remove both Venice and Ragusa (which would be a Venetian city) from Rome's list and add to it zappara's Milan ;)

Rome Which one do we eliminate to leave only three?
  • Genoa
  • Florence
  • Ragusa
  • Venice
I´d use Tusca (Etruscan)/Tarentum (Greek) and Carthage. Drop Florence, Ragusa and Venice as they weren´t around until much later.

Japan:
Ryukyu (Cultured)
Ezo (Militaristic)

Although the Chinese commanderies in North Korea (Lo lang and Tai fang) precede the Japanese garrison in Kaya by some centuries and Chinese influence continued unabated, Japan´s influence did not start with the 19th century colonization of Korea.

Babylon:
Kazallu
Sumer

Sumer isn´t a city; I´d go with Ashur (traditional enemy) and Eridu (or some other Sumerian city).

Tyre and Sidon could potentially be Egyptian-tied city-states as well.

These would be much to close together I´m afraid.

Either Babylon or Persia:
Elam, Medes (check to make sure they're not Persian cities, Elam probably is)

Ecbatana was in Media, as Susa in Elam (both of which are already on the Persian city list). Nisa (Parni/Parthian city) and Taxila (Takashila in Indian) might be better.

Okay, I'll add some Canadian, city states. Toronto will definetly be one of them.(check location;))
also, I removed Havana from the final product and replaced it with Reykjavick
Edit: I replaced lagash with Eridu.

Ecbatana was in Media, as Susa in Elam (both of which are already on the Persian city list). Nisa (Parni/Parthian city) and Taxila (Takashila in Indian) might be better.

I feel stupid for forgetting the names Ecbatana and Susa. I figured there was a good shot they were Persian. What about Ctesiphon? Or Sardis (Lydia), Gordium (Phyrgia), or Hattusa (Hittites).

Actually, Hattusa could be a decent choice for Babylon or Egypt as well.

Top Bottom