City States all bunched together

TKP

Chieftain
I am playing R&F, and because I don't like the AI on top of me I changed Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier’s Civilization VI/Base/Assets/Maps/Utility/AssignStartingPlots.lua
File iMaxStart = GlobalParameters.STARTDISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION or 9
and Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier’s CivilizationVI/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/GlobalParameters.xml
file GlobalParameters.START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION

to higher numbers (both the same) to move the AI start position away a bit.
This was fine prior to R&F, with all the City States dotted around the map (and some near me), but now I have R&F, the city states are all bunched together far, far away.

Are they now considered major civilizations? I'd like them back and dotted about as before.

I don't know what that mod may be doing, but City States are fairly well spread out if you play R&F without mods.

They do appear in groups, usually of two, so on standard size map there will typically be 5 or 6 such groupings. From what I've seen, usually at least one or two of these groups are near each major civ.

Thank you for your quick response, I am not sure if I have explained myself correctly.
It's not a mod, I just changed the parameter for the start distance of the major AIs. I do have CQUI running, so maybe that changes things?
Do you know if the global parameter start distance affects both the AI civ and city state?

Altering these sort of parameters are likely to give unpredictable results, as we don't yet know what other parameters are linked to them.
A better way to increase the space between yourself and AI civs is to lower the number of AI civs on any given map. This will not affect the distribution of City States. Fortunately, this is also very easy to do.

Yes, I understand what you mean, but lowering the number of AI does not stop the problem. I have even tried a huge map with only 2 AI civ, and both spawned next to me on the map. They always do!

My suggestion would be to verify your observation by generating a couple dozen maps in Worldbuilder, using the same settings each time (except for seeds). Note whether the problem occurs in all cases, or just frequently. Also observe the tendency in land mass sizes and whether that affects the outcome... you didn't mention which map script you're using. Then try gradually lowering your starting distance and see whether you can find a tipping point.

I would suspect that the increased distance is leaving a lot of dead space between player start positions, so the routine that places CS has less to work with... thus the blobbing. Land mass sizing might play into that on a per script basis. And something may have recently changed in ASP.lua (or elsewhere) to accentuate the behavior.

I know I've seen the same thing happen prior to R&F, but I can't remember the circumstances.

I would suggest that you post in the Creation & Customization forum, where you're more likely to get an answer. I suspect that the problem may be as simple as having to modify files in the Expansion1 folder system, but the folks in C&C will be in a better position to advise (and perhaps help you create a personal mod with these changes for both vanilla and R&F -- changing game files themselves is not the best way to go about making changes to the game, even minor ones like you describe).

Thank you for all your answers and advice. I will ask on the C&C forum, and try starting games to see what happens each time. I will revert back to the original files (I saved them before the changes).

Top Bottom