1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

city states causing load game crashes ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by kendo3, Nov 10, 2010.

1. kendo3

kendo3 Chieftain

going to do some more testing but it appears that along with complaints about city states being over-powered, they may also be causing some of the load game crashes that many people have posted about. I looked through other threads about save games crashing and didn't see this posted before - if it's an already well known issue, then I apologize for repeating it here.

personally, I believe the city state bonuses, especially maritime, are way too much and basically game breaking. so I decided to try a game without them. tried a couple of times to play with a limitation on how many I ally with but that was even worse as the AI just expanded beyond all belief and control.

in all my previous games, I had the problem that many others have reported, where after about 30 or 40 turns any attempt to load a previous save from the in game screen would crash me out to the desktop. if I wanted to load a previous game, I would have to completely exit and restart the game. which was getting very frustrating.

however, I am now up to turn 350 in my game without CS and I have had no problem loading a save game without having to exit to the desktop. the map is almost fully covered with cities, units, tile enhancements, etc and no problems.

I also noticed that when saving a game, it does so almost immediately. previously, especially late in the game, it could take 10 - 15 seconds to save a game.

the only variable in this games is CS set to 0. all other settings are the same as previous games - immortal, standard pangean map, standard number of civs, etc. I have no idea why city states would have such an impact, unless it's due to keeping track of how much influence each civ has with each CS, adjustments to all the appropriate city food, culture, etc. but I do know that if I start a couple more games with and without city states and continue to see this, CS are going to be on 0 from now until some serious improvements to save game files takes place.

on a side note - playing without city states also made for a much more interesting game. there were a lot more farms needed, a much greater selection of buildings were useful. played a lot more like how I envision a Civilization game should play. and the most interesting thing was that one of the civs I was afraid would be the most negatively impacted - Alex and his UA of CS bonuses - was the strongest AI civ almost the entire game.

2. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

An interesting observation. I don't recall CSs being mentioned as a possible cause of crashes. I'll advise players who have crashes to eliminate (or perhaps just reduce) CSs from their games. Thanks for bringing this up!

3. kendo3

kendo3 Chieftain

quick update. just finished my game, around turn 380 with a space victory. saved the game the turn before the end and then went back to load it from in-game. still no problems with it loading.

going to move up to a large map next and see if it still works. I haven't been able to complete anything beyond a standard map, so will be very happy if this CS setting allows me to do so.

4. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Thanks for the update. If CSs really are causing problems, perhaps Firaxis can optimize that part of the code.

5. kendo3

kendo3 Chieftain

well, bad news and maybe some good news.

my next game, moving up to a large map, starting crashing again when loading saves from within the game :(

but I stumbled on something else that may be a factor. will do some more testing before posting about it but holding up so far.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Don't forget it :).

7. Lu Bu

Lu Bu Chieftain

I have tried out a game without CS and it has worked perfectly on a standard sized map as well.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought I would have to uninstall this game because frankly...I could never end a game due to crashes.