1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City States conquering Civ's

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mutant, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Mutant

Mutant Chieftain

Has anyone else ever seen this before? Was playing a game against Denmark. Pretty much at the end, every city state is my ally and all other civ's are dead. Denmark has two cities left, one of which is near my ally city-state, Lhasa. Basically Lhasa started kicking Denmark's arse and conquered their city.

I know city-states can do a good job of standing up for themselves, but very rarely do I see them attack outside their own borders. I also thought there was a physical limitation in their code that prevented them taking over other cities, but obviously that's not the case anymore.

Technically doesn't make that Lhasa a civ now, rather than a city-state? :lol:

2. Alloran

Alloran Chieftain

Oh yes, this does happen from time to time. They'll usually burn the city as soon as they take it, but very rarely they'll take a capital, that can't be razed. Then they'll have two cities!

3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

In a game where Bismarck was unfortunately my neighbor I had allied a Cultural CS on the opposite side of Germany. The CS adjacent to it was allied to Bismarck. When the inevitable DoW came from Bismarck my allied CS first captured Bismarck's allied CS then it took two cities from him while I took his capitol and pushed him into wretched border city.

4. Mutant

Mutant Chieftain

To confirm Alloran's statement, Lhasa did go ahead and raze Aarhus... Man, what a waste of human life, just because they refuse to have more than one city.

5. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Not that rare actually but usually the CS needs some encouragement in form of bombing a city's health close to 0 but leaving at least the 1st ring free of units. So far the best I've seen was a single CS taking 4 cities including capital & the last city from a proper civ. This chain of events helps a lot while warmongering but it's unreliable at best & always slow process anyway. CS allies of an AI civ are far more aggressive but less successful in their military campaigns.

G

6. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

I once almost had a three city CS in a game. A hostile CS took over a CS that I accidently puppetted instead of liberated. It then almost took over a capital city that I captured. I almost let the CS take the capital just so I could see a three city CS!

7. theguy8882

theguy8882 Warlord

When I played as Babylon once I marched through a passing in between mountains to get to Americas unprotected side which made him move his troops away from new york and towards atlanta . this was a problem because Ragusa was my ally and decided to attack new york. The Ragusans succeeded and marched onto washington where they helped me take it.

8. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

City-states used to routinely take over other cities in my vanilla games - they seem to stick closer to their own borders in G&K, although in my more recent games I've seen more aggression from them. In one game (in which I was also Denmark, incidentally), since I deliberately leave enemy civs on one city to avoid the diplo penalty, Egypt had only the recently-founded Elephantine. I was however still at war with them, and the civ was wiped out by La Venta.

In my current game I thought it was a bug at first when I found Yerevan, but with the religious icon and, when clicking on it, the La Venta screen came up (also it was La Venta colours). But no, the original La Venta was on the same island (though without a continuous border) - obviously at one point before I met it, it had captured the other CS.

I had two three-city CSes in one game - Tyre (controlling Stockholm and another CS - can't remember which), and Sydney (controlling Bucharest and Mecca. It took a fourth city - also Arabian - but razed it). Most of these were at the CS's own initiative - only Mecca was a city whose defences had been taken down by a player (me) first. I've only had one case where a CS has taken a non-capital, non-CS city and not razed it.

In one game I lost more cities to CSes than to other civs; most to different CSes. Although I took them all back in short order except the couple that were successfully razed before being liberated.