1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] City-States Expanded

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Released Mods' started by thecrazyscot, Mar 15, 2018.

1. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

City-State reference table:

Spoiler :
    City-State Type Suzerain Bonus
    Ampi Maritime Receive 2 Glass luxury resources, which provide 4 Amenities. Your Plantations produce +1 Production.
    Anuradhapura Scientific Your Builders can now make Stupa improvements.
    Arvad Maritime Your City Centers gain +1 Food and +1 Production for each adjacent Coast tile.
    Beikthano Agricultural Your cities gain +3 Ranged Strength and +5 City Defense Strength for each level of walls constructed.
    Butuan Cultural Your land units gain +2 Movement when embarked and ignore additional Movement costs from embarking and disembarking.
    Çatalhöyük Agricultural Receive the Leather Luxury resource. This cannot be earned any other way in the game, and provides 6 Amenities. Pasture improvements provide +1 Housing.
    Chan Chan Entertainment Your Palace provides double yields, Amenities, and Housing. Your districts next to the Government Plaza gain an additional standard adjacency bonus.
    Chetro Ketl Consular Your Builders can now make Great Kiva improvements.
    Delos Cultural Your tiles with Breathtaking Appeal double their base terrain yields.
    Dodona Religious During your Golden Ages Inspirations provide an additional 10% of the cost for civics. During your Dark Ages Inspirations provide additional Era Score.
    Etzanoa Agricultural Your Aqueduct and Neighborhood districts gain bonus Food and Housing based on their tile Appeal.
    Göbekli Tepe Cultural Gain 2 random Inspirations for every Wonder you own based on its unlock era. This bonus can only be earned once per Wonder.
    Guapondelig Militaristic Your melee and anti-cavalry units gain faster Movement and +5 Combat Strength on Hill terrain. You civilian units also gain faster Hill Movement.
    Hadad Industrial Your Government Plaza buildings provide +1 Amenity each, and your Capital gains an additional +1 Housing per Era.
    Halin Agricultural Your cities produce +0.5 Faith per Citizen for each Holy Site building completed.
    Hazor Industrial Your Levied units suffer no Combat Strength penalties when Damaged and may Pillage at a reduced Movement cost.
    Iqaluit Maritime Coastal Tundra and Snow tiles provide +2 Food within your borders.
    Jolo Scientific Receive the Abacá and Mangosteen Luxury resources. These cannot be earned any other way in the game, and provide 6 Amenities each.
    Kadesh Militaristic Your heavy cavalry units gain the ability to push defending units back.
    Kataragama Consular Gain +1 Influence point per turn toward city-state Envoys from cities with a Belief building.
    Kelaniya Cultural Your Great Works of Art ( Sculpture, Portrait, Landscape, and Religious) grant +3 Faith and +3 Gold in cities with a Holy Site district.
    Kuhikugu Agricultural Your Farms gain +1 Food and +2 Gold if built adjacent to Rainforest.
    Ma-i Entertainment Your cities produce +1 Faith and Gold for each district present.
    Maingmaw Agricultural Rivers provide +1 Food and +1 Gold to adjacent flat land within your borders.
    Megiddo Militaristic Your Encampment districts add +1 Production and +2 Gold to international Trade Routes from that city.
    Mombasa Maritime Coastal and Lake tiles provide Standard adjacency bonuses to land Specialty Districts.
    Monaco Entertainment Buildings within Entertainment Complex or Water Park districts receive +2 Tourism and enough Gold to pay for their maintenance.
    Nalanda Scientific Your cities with Campuses gain +20% Faith when Happy, and your cities with Holy Sites gain +10% Science when Happy. These bonuses are doubled in Ecstatic cities.
    Palmyra Trade Your cities gain +1 Faith and +1 Gold for each Holy Site building per turn from each foreign Trade Route passing through.
    Phasis Industrial Your forested tiles gain +1 Production if adjacent to at least one more forested tile, and your Lumber Mills gain +1 Production if built on the coast or next to a river.
    Port Royal Maritime Your Trade Routes grant +1 Production in the sending city and +1 Gold in the receiving city per Plantation in the receiving city.
    Qatna Religious Your Capital and city with the Government Plaza generate 0.5 Loyalty Pressure per Citizen. These bonuses do not stack.
    Rhesaina Scientific 1 Amenity in cities with a Campus district. This increases to 2 Amenities if the Campus adjacency bonus is 4 or more.
    Sandakan Trade Your Trade Routes provide +50% Tourism, and Traders can be purchased at a 50% discount.
    Seuthopolis Militaristic When you eliminate a unit in combat gain Gold equal to 50% of the defeated unit's Combat Strength.
    Sri Ksetra Religious Your Holy Sites provide Food equal to their Faith adjacency bonus.
    Taos Scientific Patronage of Great People costs 2% less Gold for each luxury resource you own.
    Teyuna Industrial Your Commercial Hub and Theater districts gain a Major adjacency bonus from Mountain tiles.
    Tissamaharama Industrial Grants 2 Seric Iron resources, which grant +5 Combat Strength to melee and anti-cavalry units.
    Tuneriut Maritime Receive 2 Walrus luxury resources, which provide 4 Amenities. Additionally, owning the Walrus resource grants your Harbors Major Gold and Standard Food adjacency bonuses from Ice.
    Ugarit Trade Your cities with Governors gain +25% Production towards naval units, increasing to +50% in later eras. Additionally, your Harbor buildings provide a burst of experience to naval units trained in that city.
    Wyam Trade Sea resources provide +1 Culture and +2 Gold within your borders.

Unique Improvement reference table:

Spoiler :
    Improvement Description
    Great Kiva Unlocks the Builder ability to construct a Great Kiva. +2 Faith. +1 Food from each adjacent Grass, Plains, and Desert Hills. +1 Production from every 2 adjacent flat Grass, Plains, or Desert tiles. Cannot be built next to another Great Kiva. Can only be built on Desert and Desert Hill tiles.
    Stupa Unlocks the Builder ability to construct a Stupa. +2 Faith. +2 Faith if adjacent to a Holy Site, +2 Culture if adjacent to a Theater Square, and +2 Science if adjacent to a Campus. Cannot be built next to another Stupa. Cannot be built on Tundra, Snow, or Desert tiles.

Reflects version 1.02

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

3. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

[to_xp]Gekko likes this.
  4. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Probably a dumb question, maritime means they are built near coast or its only a bonus thing?

Thanks! keep up the nice work! I will try it soon :)

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

It's just a bonus thing, but city states do have biases towards starting locations according to the first post, which in the case of Maritime city states will most likely mean a coastal bias.

@thecrazyscot I have both Phasis and Delos in my current game, and while it won't go crazy because I'm going to win before getting to Conservation (Impi swarms man, Impi swarms), I suspect that this is an absolutely insane combo. Phasis grants +1 production to forests adjacent to other forests, and Delos grants double yields on Breathtaking appeal tiles. I can now imagine planting huge forests, giving everything Breathtaking appeal and the bonus from Phasis. Some numbers, assuming endgame, Breathtaking, at least one forest adjacent and no river:

Plains: 2f2p
    Plains/Forest: 2f4p
    Plains/Forest/Lumbermill: 2f6p (8p if River)
    Plains/Hill: 2f4p
    Plains/Hill/Forest: 2f6p
    Plains/Hill/Forest/Lumbermill: 2f8p (10p if River)
    Plains/Hill/Mine: 2f7p or 1f5p if not breathtaking
    Grassland: 4f
    Grassland/Forest: 4f2p
    Grassland/Forest/Lumbermill: 4f4p (6p if River)
    Grassland/Hill: 4f2p
    Grassland/Hill/Forest: 4f4p
    Grassland/Hill/Forest/Lumbermill: 4f6p (8p if River)
    Grassland/Hill/Mine: 4f5p or 2f4p if not breathtaking

So basically, you plant forests everywhere (plus Eiffel Tower to make up for district and luxery resource spots that don't have forest), build lumbermills everywhere, and every tile is at least self-sustaining the citizen working there, while producing crazy amounts of production; 4-8 on flat tiles and 6-10 on hill tiles.

(I do have to say I'm sad now I didn't get this city state combo in a culture game or something...)

Atlas627 and raen like this.
  6. raen

raen Coat of Arms

7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Has this been fixed though? When I first subscribed they virtually never started out on a coast. I mentioned it on Steam and Šailor Cat said they were aware of the issue, but I haven't seen anything about it since.

8. raen

raen Coat of Arms

In Steam Change notes I see this:

Update: 15 Mar @ 9:43pm
    v1.01 Update
    • Quick update to start biases for Maritime city-states

9. Laurana Kanan

I was aware of that, but that was before I ran my test starts and before mine & Sailor's comments. I can't remember the exact changes in that update, but if irc one of them removed some Tundra start biases.

10. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I will certainly need to take a balancing pass. I like Delos as it is, so I'll take another look at Phasis.

There has not been an additional update given we're not entirely sure it's possible to guarantee a coastal spawn via StartBiases. So that first update contains our best guess right now, with basically anything that's not coast/ocean/water resource removed from the Maritime start biases. The problem comes with how the game assigns the starting plots though, in that there has to be a certain minimum amount of yields for someone to spawn there, and coastal tiles have much lower base yields than land tiles. That means that sometimes (or often times perhaps), start biases may appear to be completely ignored. Our spawn tests indicate that at least on our end most of the time Maritime city-states spawn at least close to an appropriate location, but given that spawn conditions are different in every game you might find that not to be the case depending on the map conditions.

Sorry we can't seem to nail it down any more firmly than that!

11. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Yes, I believe the starting bias depends on situation, usually you can have ocean and coast nearby, but the game puts settler in best place for starting a city.

12. Laurana Kanan

No worries TCS! Thank you for the detailed response. What I found really found odd in my tests on an enormous, continents YnAMP with reduced civs & CS, is that I would almost never get a Maritime CS spawing on a coast, but I'd see four or five of the other types that would. And, often times I'd see excellent coastal spots where nothing spawned at all. :crazyeye:

Could the fact that there are so many non-maritime CS's that have coastal biases (though not as strong) be a factor? I may try and reducing some of those and see if it makes a difference for my preferences. I did notice that when compared to other Maritime CS's Lisbon doesn't have an ocean bias, Carthage doesn't have fish or crab biases, and Ampi doesn't have coastal or ocean biases. I don't know if that is intentional though.

I'm curious, does an ocean bias have a noticeable effect? Initially, some CS's had a tundra bias that was later taken out. Was that because tundra starts were too detrimental?

13. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Bug report
    Suzerain bonus for "Walrus" City not working. Influence bonus works (e.g. Lighthouse gets yields), Walrus resource is granted, but feature adjacency not working.
    Took me some time to track the problem it caused in BRS, because there are 2 possible sources:
    a) you are using YieldChange instead Amount in modifier definition; Idk if this is a real problem, but the only in-game modifier that can be referenced is SACRED_PATH_FAITHFEATUREADJACENCY, which has Amount in Arguments
    b) I think you should not use COLLECTION_ALL_CITIES here. It leads to the situation where the player gets this modifier activated and it has all cities in the game as subjects (yes all cities, I got exactly this). Probably would grant them adjacency bonuses as well if they had harbors near ice.
    I inserted few tweaks into BRS to account for this situation, but please inform me if you fix the Walrus modifier and confirm it works, so I might remove them eventually.

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

The fact that other non-maritime CS's have coastal biases shouldn't have an effect in booting the maritime ones inland, so to speak, but to be honest...maybe? Lol, the system is just a bit opaque. We have found that resources appear to have a stronger effect than terrain, which is why we've added fish as a bias to all the maritime ones.

Thanks for the report, I'll definitely look into what's going on there. You are right about YieldChange looking like it's incorrect instead of Amount, so I'll try changing that and see if that fixes it.

So my intent with granting 2 Walrus resources is that you're able to trade one of them, and that resource in turn would grant whoever you traded it to the Ice adjacency bonus as well. In order to do that, I couldn't attach the feature adjacency to the city-state trait, but instead added the feature adjacency to the TRAIT_LEADER_MAJOR_CIV, with the requirement that the player owns the Walrus resource. I suppose I could add an intermediary modifier in between, so that the Walrus adjacency modifier is attached to a player only if they have the resource, and then use COLLECTION_PLAYER_CITIES in the actual adjacency modifier. Hmm...

Atlas627 likes this.
  15. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

I it seems like a standrad approach to all CS modifiers. They are attached to all players and once you are a suzerain or get enough tokens, an actual modifier is attached to this player. And it usually uses collection_player_cities or similar player-level collection.
    If you work a lot with modifier, then see my Real Civilopedia. It shows modifiers’ structure for all objects.

16. Laurana Kanan

That's interesting and good to know.

So back to my comment - the Lisbon, Carthage, and Ampi Maritime CS's are missing some of the same biases as the other Maritime CS's. This is intentional, correct?

17. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Regarding the biases, I very much doubt this is the problem, but just to make sure I do want to mention it, @thecrazyscot are you guys aware that the lower the bias number is, the stronger the bias is? For example, Lisbon in the base game has a coastal bias of 1 and almost always spawns coastal.

18. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

@thecrazyscot Ah, one more thing I forgot to mention about Walrus City. I was not able to send a Trade Route there. Was like 6 tiles away, and couldn’t. There was another CS a few tiles further, and no problems with that.
    Not sure if this is a bug or something you programmed into the CS, was busy tracking modifiers and didn’t look into this situation.
    BUT this could be bug related to Better Trade Screen, as it started to spit some errors into the log with your mod activated. Some nil references, so probably something wrong with definitions. You might wanna check the compatibility here.

19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Yes, but of course not set in stone.

Right, but the issue is that just putting the coastal bias to 1 doesn't actually guarantee a coastal start - iirc one of the earlier Firaxis patches actually fixed the issue of certain city-states not always spawning on the coast with some behind-the-scenes change instead of changing how the start biases work (and I guess even the name start bias implies that it doesn't create hard and fast rules for the spawning algorithms to follow).

Yes, Better Trade Screen is incompatible as it hard codes the city-state types. We released a patch for BTS which you can install following the instructions in this post.

20. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

To make it "official" rather than isolating this bug-report on Steam discussion only...

The active (two) Governors aren't shown in the ToolTip for Palmyra.

At the moment, i'm leaning towards a wacky mod conflict since i use HellBlazer's WII (which has an integrated BTS.. but i've already inserted the lua file you offered us) + Infixo BRS.

AFAIK.. there's nothing else in my (very short) list of active Mods that would get anywhere near the CityStates.LUA file or its functions.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018