[Vanilla] City States Guide

The Australian summer patch notes appear to say that you can now adjust the number of city states in the game setup. Can someone please explain how this works? Can you pick any number of city states for any size map, or are there restrictions?

Also, any other changes you notice related to city states would be great to note below. Thanks!

(I don't have access to the game at the moment.)

There's a slider under "Advanced Options" with which you can specify the number of city states in the game.

The following was just posted in the comments to the guide:
Good guide, however, this part is not true:

"However, you do not lose your Envoys if you find yourself at war with a City-State for other reasons. For example, if you declare war on another Civilization that is Suzerain of a City-State, that City-State will declare on you, but you will not lose your Envoys. You can even send additional Envoys while at war in order to become Suzerain, and the City-State will switch sides in the war."

I am playing a game now and Montezuma of the Aztecs declared war on me. Montezuma is the suzerain of Valletta, which in turn declared war on me. All of my envoys went to zero in Valletta and there were no option to send more if I wanted; I had more envoys available but I could not send them there while at war. We have since made peace and I did not get any envoys back; it is still at zero.

The same thing happened with Russia and Seoul, however, I am still at war with Russia (and Seoul) but my guess is I have permanently lost my envoys at Seoul even when we eventually make peace just like what happened with Aztecs/Valletta.

So I don't know if this is a bug, or what, but that just happened and is happening now in my game.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was there possibly a change in one of the recent patches? I have not observed any loss of envoys due to war, but I haven't done much warring recently.

If you declare war directly on a CS you loose envoys
If you are at war with a civ that is Allued to the CS the CS also declares on you but you do not loose envoys.
Been that way as far as I remember
That's been my experience as well, but @Bridgeboy69 reports that he lost his envoys with a CS after the CS's suz and then then CS itself declared on him. I'm wondering if there's been a change in a recent patch or if something weird was going on in his game.

That's been my experience as well, but @Bridgeboy69 reports that he lost his envoys with a CS after the CS's suz and then then CS itself declared on him. I'm wondering if there's been a change in a recent patch or if something weird was going on in his game.
Yes. Even though I'm now at Peace with Valletta, I still can't send anymore envoys there, it doesn't give me the option, the arrow to clicking to send an envoy is greyed out and hovering the mouse over Valletta's name says I declared war on them; but I DID NOT. Peter of Russia declared war on me, and then Valletta declared war on me. Must be a new bug.

Seoul says the same thing: that I declared war on them, but I didn't.

I can never forevermore send any envoys to Valletta (or Seoul) regardless of whether we are at peace or war. I guess they will hold a grudge about it until the end of time because they believe I declared war on them, even though I didn't. Seems like a definite bug/glitch.

@Bridgeboy69 try restarting to see if that helps... if not report the bug in the bugs forum
Well it's already been going on a few days with restarts in betwen so I don't think its going to change. You mean turn off the game restart, and reload a save game, right?

I just got 3 more envoys and took a pic: see attached and look at Valletta and Seoul. The pop up message is covering the area with Valletta where the at war icon would be, but I'm at peace with them now. Still at War with Seoul though.

Spoiler :
IMG_4486.JPG

Moderator Action: Large image wrapped in spoiler tags -- Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
This from a game I am in now
Geneva is at war with me but I have envoys there
I declared a joint war on Mvemba with Cleo ... Geneva did not kick out my diplomats

View attachment 469520

Must just be a weird bug in my game then for some unknown reason. One difference is that I didn't declare any war, Joint or otherwise. Russia and Aztecs teamed up and declared war on me one turn and their suzerain city-states Valletta and Seoul promptly followed suit. I'm guessing Russia and Aztecs formed a Joint War agreement behind the scenes, but there is no way to tell. They could have just declared war on me at the same time by coincidence.

@Ichabod
So if I look at Amsterdam in the logs I see the following
It looks like they build a district when they have the tech.. its just their tech growth seems to get a boost at times

Player_stats.csv
Shows them producing science, culture and gold per turn as per their one city so at trurn 62 they are only producing 7 science a turn, 5 culture and 7 GPT. However between tirns 39-42 they gained a tech per turn
upload_2017-7-18_0-36-57.png

In AI_research.csv we can see What they were researching at that time
upload_2017-7-18_0-46-44.png

In AI_CityBuild.csv we can see them building their commercial district soon after discovering it
upload_2017-7-18_0-45-0.png

In the city Build Queue.csv we can see they were building walls before the commercial hub
upload_2017-7-18_0-51-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-18_0-45-9.png
    upload_2017-7-18_0-45-9.png
    9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
... continuation
The diplomacy_deals.log shows no city states making deals.

For civics... they do have a slot policy as shown in AI_govtpolicies.csv
Here we can see they get a government at turn 40
upload_2017-7-18_1-5-41.png

It does seem suspicious that practically all CS get political philosophy in the same turn
upload_2017-7-18_1-9-3.png

I have scanned other logs , the big question is how do they keep up with civics and techs and it looks like they get a boost at average era time or similar
Next time I do a full game I'll try to remember to look

Last edited:
While testing, I discovered something interesting. If you find a CS before you settled your first city, the free envoy doesn't give the free yield in the Capital.

Top Bottom