1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City States Guide

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Victoria, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The Australian summer patch notes appear to say that you can now adjust the number of city states in the game setup. Can someone please explain how this works? Can you pick any number of city states for any size map, or are there restrictions?

Also, any other changes you notice related to city states would be great to note below. Thanks!

(I don't have access to the game at the moment.)

3. Mentar

Mentar Chieftain

There's a slider under "Advanced Options" with which you can specify the number of city states in the game.

4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The following was just posted in the comments to the guide:
    Has anyone else experienced this? Was there possibly a change in one of the recent patches? I have not observed any loss of envoys due to war, but I haven't done much warring recently.

5. Victoria

If you declare war directly on a CS you loose envoys
    If you are at war with a civ that is Allued to the CS the CS also declares on you but you do not loose envoys.
    Been that way as far as I remember

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

That's been my experience as well, but @Bridgeboy69 reports that he lost his envoys with a CS after the CS's suz and then then CS itself declared on him. I'm wondering if there's been a change in a recent patch or if something weird was going on in his game.

7. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

Yes. Even though I'm now at Peace with Valletta, I still can't send anymore envoys there, it doesn't give me the option, the arrow to clicking to send an envoy is greyed out and hovering the mouse over Valletta's name says I declared war on them; but I DID NOT. Peter of Russia declared war on me, and then Valletta declared war on me. Must be a new bug.

Seoul says the same thing: that I declared war on them, but I didn't.

I can never forevermore send any envoys to Valletta (or Seoul) regardless of whether we are at peace or war. I guess they will hold a grudge about it until the end of time because they believe I declared war on them, even though I didn't. Seems like a definite bug/glitch.

8. Victoria

9. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

Well it's already been going on a few days with restarts in betwen so I don't think its going to change. You mean turn off the game restart, and reload a save game, right?

I just got 3 more envoys and took a pic: see attached and look at Valletta and Seoul. The pop up message is covering the area with Valletta where the at war icon would be, but I'm at peace with them now. Still at War with Seoul though.

Spoiler :
    IMG_4486.JPG

Moderator Action: Large image wrapped in spoiler tags -- Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  10. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

11. Victoria

This from a game I am in now
    Geneva is at war with me but I have envoys there
    I declared a joint war on Mvemba with Cleo ... Geneva did not kick out my diplomats

upload_2017-4-17_1-49-17.png

12. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

Must just be a weird bug in my game then for some unknown reason. One difference is that I didn't declare any war, Joint or otherwise. Russia and Aztecs teamed up and declared war on me one turn and their suzerain city-states Valletta and Seoul promptly followed suit. I'm guessing Russia and Aztecs formed a Joint War agreement behind the scenes, but there is no way to tell. They could have just declared war on me at the same time by coincidence.

13. Victoria

In the log directory, the diplomacymodifiers.csv would have a +5 in each other's relationship with joint war as the reason

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Gaucho

Is there any info regarding how City States acquire techs? Or the timings for City States to build districts?

15. Victoria

I will look into it a bit more.

In the log file it shows for each city states what they have active.
    I suspect they get cards and techs with the average era or similar.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Victoria

@Ichabod
    So if I look at Amsterdam in the logs I see the following
    It looks like they build a district when they have the tech.. its just their tech growth seems to get a boost at times

Player_stats.csv
    Shows them producing science, culture and gold per turn as per their one city so at trurn 62 they are only producing 7 science a turn, 5 culture and 7 GPT. However between tirns 39-42 they gained a tech per turn
    upload_2017-7-18_0-36-57.png

In AI_research.csv we can see What they were researching at that time
    upload_2017-7-18_0-46-44.png

In AI_CityBuild.csv we can see them building their commercial district soon after discovering it
    upload_2017-7-18_0-45-0.png

In the city Build Queue.csv we can see they were building walls before the commercial hub
    upload_2017-7-18_0-51-39.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ichabod likes this.
  17. Victoria

... continuation
    The diplomacy_deals.log shows no city states making deals.

For civics... they do have a slot policy as shown in AI_govtpolicies.csv
    Here we can see they get a government at turn 40
    upload_2017-7-18_1-5-41.png

It does seem suspicious that practically all CS get political philosophy in the same turn
    upload_2017-7-18_1-9-3.png

I have scanned other logs , the big question is how do they keep up with civics and techs and it looks like they get a boost at average era time or similar
    Next time I do a full game I'll try to remember to look

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Ichabod likes this.
  18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Looks like I really should do an update of the guide. Thanks for investigating, @Victoria!

19. Victoria

@WillowBrook More info here - A little look at how a CS works

Cioty states expand borders when an envoy is goiven, 1 per tile but does not expand for the free envoy for discovering
    Tech sudden growth is not related to envoys given

20. Ichabod

Ichabod Gaucho

While testing, I discovered something interesting. If you find a CS before you settled your first city, the free envoy doesn't give the free yield in the Capital.