1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

city states just sit there

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by clif9710, Jan 1, 2012.

1. clif9710

clif9710 Warlord

I've find city states don't do much to help the war effort when I am allied to them and they don't do much to threaten me when they are allied against me. They just sit there with rare breakouts, even if they have weaponry superior to mine.

For example, playing at prince as Askia as I go on my warring way, I leave my home territory little protected. Though there may be several city states there, they keep to themselves and never try to make an attempt on any of my cities or pillage any of my tiles (even if they are allied to enemies and militaristic) - though I may only have an archer or xbow in each city and no cav to hunt them down. What seems to be foolish risk taking on my part turns out to be no problem at all.

If I were the AI, I would be continually sending enemy ally CS units on raids, knocking out vital mines and pastures - but they just sit there.

When I am allied with a CS and fighting an enemy on its borders, the CS will then pitch in and give some help, sometimes, but still pretty bashfully.

For combat, the single best use of CS's I have found is to ally with one or more that are deep in enemy territory then gift them heavy hitting units such as cannon/artillery to draw off and destroy enemy units that might otherwise come my way. Again, this shows their essentially defensive posture - they fight, but only if attacked.

2. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

3. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Usually the AI civ will go on the offensive against one of your allied city-states during wartime. This is useful to divert some of the enemies forces from your own offensive.

4. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

This is just another sign of the incapibility of the AI which is not able to make concentrated attacks.

5. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

In a multiplayer game I had Stockholm assault my capitol (Paris). They didnt capture my city but the AI weakened my city to about half of its hp with a cannon and mostly rifles. At the time I was fighting a two front war against a player playing as Egypt in the North and Arabia in the South

Its possible, but doesnt happen often that they send all their units to attack a city (which they did in this case).

6. sav

sav Prince

In a particularly bad game, I once had a CS conquer TWO of my cities! So it can happen, but not often.

7. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

I miss the "why don't you attack..." dialogue from Civ4, where you could suggest targets to your war allies, although I know it never worked well. You should be able to give your AI and city state allies suggestions on what to attack, which they would be free to ignore. But it should egg on a city state to attack a nearby city.

The AI should be able to do this too, to co-ordinate the attacks of several AI's that are fighting together, along with city states.

Of course that would require an AI that was capable of deciding to concentrate on an objective..

While we're at it, can the city state shut up about requesting units in their war, when there is no enemy anywhere within sight of their city? Some island city state on the other end of the map, nowhere near the war, is always requesting that I send it units.

8. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Playing at Immortal, I'd have to say that City States can be a real threat. Leaving your homeland sparsely defended can lead to the lose of cities, or the necessity for spending lots of gold on rush-buying defenders to see off City States.

I've lost a city on several occasions to City States. I don't know if they're just more aggressive, or just have more units to play with on Immortal, but they do represent an actual threat if you don't have enough defenders. I've almost lost cities to city states, even when I've had a good number of defenders.

City States aren't massively helpful when they're on your side in a conflict, but they do usually at least cause a decent distraction and I have known them to take enemy cities from time to time without me giving them units, so they do have their uses.

9. Haig

Haig Deity

Militaristic City-states attack more aggressively, other ones are more passive on war.

One of the most fun things in Civ 5 is to have a 'cold war' against a civ that's at war with an city-state, and gift loads of units to it, and watching as it humiliates a more powerul big Civ. :)

Best scenario would be Hanoi vs America, or maybe Cape Town vs England ;)

10. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

To the OP, I'd suggest going up a level or 2, perhaps to Emperor or Immortal and see the difference in the behaviour of the CS. You will find them a lot more powerful and aggressive, especially the Militaristic ones. At lower levels they are very passive, but not so at the higher levels.