City States Leaders for BNW [WIP Icon contribution hread]

OK, here's a Bratislava placeholder:

I'm eager to release a beta, so fans of the mod (including myself) have something for BNW without a bunch of holes in city state coverage.

I'm going to try to continue to whip up some more placeholders for the remaining BNW city states: Byblos*, Kabul, Malacca, Mogadishu, Ormus, Riga*, Sofia*, and Vancouver. If I have to, I'll go back and cut out the portraits from the G+K version so the backgrounds mesh for the other city states: Almaty, Colombo*, Hanoi, Hong Kong, Manila, Mombasa, Monaco, Quebec City*, Ragusa, Tyre*, Valletta*, and Zurich*.
[* = These have been assigned, so I'll do them last.]

I'm hoping that by doing this I don't lower the motivation of contributing artists to continue the project. Please let me know if you're working on anything. You're always welcome to chime in and tell me this is a bad idea. :mischief:

Kabul - Ahmad Shah Durrani:

Spoiler :

Vancouver - Mackenzie King:

Spoiler :

Well, since Bogotá will be added in the next patch:

Simon Bolivar of Bogotá

What traits have the 3 new city states been assigned? (Besides Bogota, Vilnius and Wellington are new city States.)

Leugi, can you make the sky less blue (assuming Bogota is militaristic and not cultural)?

Also, while I'm at it, TPangolin: Kabul should have a magenta background and Vancouver's should be cyan. And I'd much appreciate Melbourne with yellow (as much as it may pain you! :()

Thanks, guys, for keeping this thing alive!

Bogotá is actually Cultural, I suppose my magenta isn't too strong this time :p ... Ok fixed it, on the same post. (f5)

Thanks for the quick update!

EDIT: So... any leader suggestions for the newbies? We have Bolivar already, which is an obvious choice for Bogota, Colombia. I vote Gediminas for Vilnius, Lithuania and Henry Sewell for Wellington, New Zealand. [Helen Clark and Richard Seddon were also suggested for Wellington to support the More City States mod].

Just cant wait for the final version, great work you all are doing here.:goodjob:

Also, while I'm at it, TPangolin: Kabul should have a magenta background and Vancouver's should be cyan. And I'd much appreciate Melbourne with yellow (as much as it may pain you! :()

Thanks, guys, for keeping this thing alive!

I was just assuming we were going off by their ingame colours.

Simon Bolivar is hardly related to Bogotá...
Um, what? Where was the capital of Gran Colombia again?

EDIT: That being said, I understand the urge to keep it "local" in the spirit of a city-state, and I've tried to do so with some of my leader picks. Do realize, though, that the internal name the game uses for city states is "MinorCivilizations" and I think that is often a more appropriate title. Regardless, I would like to get a beta of this thing out the door. If an artist wants to take up the call to make an alternate, we may have to put it up for a vote. Either way, if it does comes to that, I'll certainly make available all the alternates (with instructions on how to swap them out).

Speaking of beta...

Since we're starting to get close to being done with the art (19 to go!), I've been playing with the mod itself a bit, trying to make the compatible version do all the things I'd like it to do without replacing any game files...

Quite honestly, I'd rather avoid someone as modern as Jorge Elicer, and would rather have Simon than a colony age leader (who, after all, depended directly to Spain, not as a city-state, but as a colony)

So... that's without modifying core files?

Also, it would be good if the "Yaroslav says" text could be of a different color (maybe even by trait?) And, although redundant, perhaps it should be "Yaroslav of Kiev says"? Just to fit more with how Leaders are presented in the city screen.

Um, what? Where was the capital of Gran Colombia again?

Well, as many other cities, Bogotá has been it's "ages"...anyways Bogotá was called Santafé in Gran Colombia's days...
Now if you want a indpendentist leader, there's Antonio Nariño...

Yes, Bolivar was really important to the independence of South America, but usually his importance tends to be highly idealized and overrated, ignoring the many other indpendentistas who leaded the revolution from the different provinces. Bolivar was venezuelan and only leaded the venezuelan forces of his army, that's why he's more related to Venezuela than Colombia. Also he never ruled Bogotá due to his constant campaigns.

Re Bolivar: I get it, but like I said, we would need an artist inspired to take up your request.

Re the new beta: yes, it's pure Lua.

Re colors: After I took the above screenshot, I did color code the trait (and personality) readouts as I had done in previous versions. The "leader says" text is a different color--white instead of beige--though it's a bit hard to tell from the reduced size screenshot.

Re leader text: Note I used title + name + "of" country on the first greeting page (e.g., "Grand Leader Yaroslav of Ukraine"). The short "leader says" format comes from major civ trade responses. I realize countries will often be anachronistic, but I wouldn't want e.g., "of Kiev" when Kiev is in giant letters on the line before. So I'm not sure about using them, especially as it looks weird followed by "says," and it looks weird without "says" unless I figure out how to change the font with Lua only (I still prefer putting the name back in the title bar if it's possible). The titles have similar anachronism problems. The ingame era often predates the leader's historical title (like a President in the ancient era), so maybe a generic title that varies by era, or no title at all, would be better. Thoughts?

maybe you could make a list of CS which still doesn't have a Leader Icon and the one who already have on the first page?, so that interested people here who want to help could easily select which CS is still available.

EDIT: ops, sorry! didn't notice that red colored sentence.

Top Bottom