City States, SLOW technology progress?

angelus512

Warlord
I've almost finished my first game of civ5. My comments are as follows.

1) I agree the production is a little slower than normal but not by a huge degree, plus the value of units is higher in this game so reasonably speaking u need less. So from that point of view its ok.
However buildings take a LITTLE too long for my liking, need to upgrade their build speed by 1/3 i think.

2) The most important point now admittadly im significantly more advanced in tech than my peers (im on prince level for first game). But i noticed the city states develop new units and tech at an OBSCENELY slow pace. Thereby creating the following undesirable problem.
A) They are only useful militarily as allies for the first 100 or so turns.
B) After the first hundred almost all over civs have rifelmen and stuff when they are still running about with crossbow guys. Is this an issue or is it just MY particular game?

3) Game code needs improving u can feel the lag. However i've reached almost turn 300 and took me about oh 12 hours of play so not sure if thats fast or slow by comparison to others but every turn seems to take 10-15 odd seconds (timed it).
Playing Earth map, 10 civs 16 city states or something i think it was.

Regarding gold vs happiness i like how theyve set it up so far but my opinion may change in time. Also i really felt that diplomacy is a side issue currently. Unlike in civ4 where it could really be a key to victory i dont feel so thus far.
And I REALLY miss creating vassals. Maybe it was deemed too powerful but i really enjoyed it and am unhappy thats been taken out.
Some would say city states are a substitute but if they are throwing rocks whilst ur enemy has missiles and guns whats the use?

Also anybody notice bombardment by your own cities (even if ur WAY more advanced than ur enemies) doesn't do sh*t? Takes off like -1 or -2 hp at best.

I thought bombardment from ur own cities was really supposed to help with defence but it doesnt.

I can confirm that on both games where I was leading the tech parade the citystates had techs on par with mine.I think the city states are tech-jumping to be a match with the leading 1-2 civs.

To be honest I`ve seen slow tech civs trying to break rifles with knights.Hell I even saw Belgrad conquer TWO ottoman citys.I went OMG city state empire but sadly they destroy the captured citys :(

I can confirm that on both games where I was leading the tech parade the citystates had techs on par with mine.I think the city states are tech-jumping to be a match with the leading 1-2 civs.

I'm sure that those that were allied with me had similar tech to mine. I'm not sure about those allied to players farther behind, but it still has to be something like what you say. From OCC games I know it's not entirely hard to keep up with tech or even have the lead as a single city, for some reason I just don't really believe that's what they're doing.

EDIT: One thing, they do seem to keep their old units forever. This is especially obvious with units like pikemen that can't really be upgraded. And the level of units they gift you seems to have a random component not really related to the units they have in their own military.

To be honest I`ve seen slow tech civs trying to break rifles with knights.Hell I even saw Belgrad conquer TWO ottoman citys.I went OMG city state empire but sadly they destroy the captured citys :(

They aren't allowed to keep them, kind of like when you play an OCC game yourself.

Yeah I had most of the city states as my ally but they had poor crossbow style tech whilst i was marching around with modern armor.....

must be a "general tech level" algorithm or something because i was lightyears infront of others.....

Top Bottom