1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City-States

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by NKN, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Andorra > Venice

2. Askiya

Askiya Warlord

If I may correct this small mistake: Venetian is not an Italian dialect, it's actually a separate Romance language. (although Venice still shouldn't be a civ).

3. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

So guys, just to get back in track with the original idea... Is it even possible to make it work in, or even to implement it in-game? After all, they had to wait till Civ 5 to bring and implement the idea...

4. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

I'll concede that error. If it is a separate language, then it is.
    According to: http://www.sitoveneto.org/pg075.html
    as it turned out, the Venetians speak a Venetian dialect of Italian that is separate from the actual Venetian language, which is rather confusing.

5. citis

citis Deity

We can add polities in the scenario that will appear only if the human player choses them. This includes Venice, Canada, Novgorod, Australia, Israel, Celts, Zulu, Iriquois...

6. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

With the engine, it's only possible by making them full civs and then limiting what they can do. Which is rather pointless because there'd be no downside to making them a full civ right away.

7. Kolah Nut

Kolah Nut Chieftain

I feel that some of smaller nationalities (Venice, Novgorod, Israel, etc.) are well represented by independents. Such nations did not have a large territorial empire (compared to the other civilizations represented in the game) nor do they have the historical flavour of such minor civs like the Seljuks or Celts. For larger civs, like Canada/Australia, I agree that minor civs could be added for them.

8. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

yap.. the best maybe like in RFC Abundant's independents... but why should we?

9. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

In SoI, there are some civs that don't have a UP or even UU or UB and are unplayable but can still be talked to, maybe that treatment could work for some civs.

10. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I didn't really like that. If you go ahead and make a real civ, you may as well make it playable. If you don't like to play it, that's fine, don't play it. But there's always people (like me) who will want to play every single civ, even if it is somewhat unbalanced.

11. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

That's why chipotle exists!:mischief:

12. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Try fitting Buyids into the DoC map, how many cities would it have without causing overlap territory troubles to their neighbor, compared to Buyids in SoI map?
    Our map is not as big as SoI's map, why add new, full civilization that only a single cities? That's why there's no Venetian, Singaporean, Cantonese, Monegasques, Swiss, Guatemalan, Bruneian, Kanem-Bornuean (?), Boer, Iroquoian etc civ... besides, most of them are Kingdom, Nations, Factions, States etc anyway not a proper and distinct civilization like French, German, Malay, Chinese, Nordic etc :D

13. Theodorick

Theodorick King

I forgot which RFC modmod brought in something like city states. I stopped playing it and deleted it because I didn't agree with some of the decisions made. But instead of two independent states, it had a huge slew of city-states unique to every region of the world, that would either spawn on their own, or revert to this city state when a bigger civilization collapses. Some even had heir own unique units. Would something like that be viable? I remember seeing the Parthians and Sassanids in this mod; and India was always a unique collection of a half dozen Indian states when it collapsed.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

I think it was Civilizations in Abundance that did that. It's an interesting effect that I completely forgot about.

15. citis

citis Deity

Civilizations in abudance had a system that the two indies represented minor civs or city states. The flags and adjectives where unique to every minor civ, but when you declared war on one minor civ, instantly you declared war to have of all the others minor civs!

It's a good idea to add in DoC.

16. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Except that last part.