1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

@City-States

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Requests & Ideas' started by CaptainPatch, Jan 14, 2017.

1. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

A two-part request:

1) In Civ 5, in the Advanced Setup, it was possible to use a slider to have as many as _41_ separate City-States... on a world map that was no more than Huge at most. Currently, I'm playing a game in Civ 6 on a (mod) Massive map (4 steps up from Huge) that has a grand total of _3_ -- count 'em, THREE -- City-States That count is sooooo low, it falls into the realm of "Why even bother?"

I _like_ tremendously LARGE maps. And I _like_ filling up that expanse with LOTS of City-States. In Real Life when the Greek empire was at its zenith, they had @2000 cities scattered around the Med. Many were banded together into Leagues and whatnot, but most were singular city-states. Having a map of the supposed world with just THREE independent city-states just doesn't look or feel right. It makes for anemic trade opportunities, anemic political wheeling and dealing, and the sense of religious propagation and dispersion.

I want more city-states! I hope I'm not alone in that desire.

2) In contrast to Civ 5, Diplomacy with city-states is incredibly anemic. The ONLY way to exert influence on a city-state is how many envoys are assigned to the consulate/embassy? No bribery? No saber-rattling? No coup-promoting? No proxy wars with opposing city-states? It really puts the "blah" into "blase".

Can anyone spice up Diplomacy with City-States?

2. kantorr

kantorr Chieftain

1) The max city states you can have on the modded map size is 3? That max number is set by the map size definition I believe. However, currently civ VI only has like 20-25 CS. I don't know how the game would react to putting 30 Cs in a map.

2) Unfortunately I can't help here.

3) I've started working on my first set of CS, hopefully to be released within a week. I love the way CS work in civ 6. The quests are better, the envoy system is better, the CS ai is awful.... But the unique bonuses are cool, too.

3. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

This is probably covered by what the OP said but I would like a little more diplomatic options with city-states too. I think if there were a few simple things it would make the game a bit more dynamic. I think some simple things like open borders and convincing them to war with other civs/city-states (while not the suzerain) should do the trick. I can't think of anything else that would be reasonable but I am sure others could come up with some good ideas. But starting with those two would be a good start.

4. Infixo

Infixo Deity

The Envoy system is a step into right direction, but it's far from being good. It's a passive system - you earn points without doing anything. An example of good system in this regard would be City State Diplomacy mod from Civ5. Amazing stuff that introduces a new type of civilian units - diplomats. You must train them, they use strategic resources, there are special buildings for it. You can build Embassies in city states, etc.