1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City Strength

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Victoria, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Locke_Daemonfire

Locke_Daemonfire Chieftain

Combat strength is based on the highest combat strength in the civ minus 10. Having the best unit in your civ as a garrison can thus increase your combat strength by 10 to match your garrisoned unit. Yes, garrisoned units can attack, so there is a trade-off between a ranged garrison which can attack freely and a melee garrison which could increase your defense.

Yes, walls give it a separate attack.

Any combat units in the city that is conquered are destroyed. The unit does not have to be beaten separately. It has its own hp bar, though, just is automatically destroyed if the city is taken.

2. DarwinMayflower

DarwinMayflower Chieftain

Thanks for the explanation. When you say:
    what do you mean? Is it that garrisoned melee units will take damage when they attack and so could be killed, or if they defeat the other unit, they will move out of the city, in either case losing your garrison +10 city strength bonus, while a ranged attack does not risk damage or unit movement?. Doesn't the ranged unit garrison also give you the same city strength bonus?

It seems that units inside a city center are automatically garrisoned, but I saw a thread on a Steam board which said a unit would only count as garrisoned if it did not attack last turn. Is that correct, and is it true for both melee and ranged units?

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Nope... ranged units have low combat strengths so typically if you put a ranged unit in a city it will be 10 less strength than it could be. If you city strength is based on swordsmen then its 36-10 = 26 strength... 36 with a swordsmen ... but an archer does not have even have 26 combat strength so does not increase the strength of the city however place a crossbow in there and the city will be strength 30 as the crossbow has a combat strength of 30

DarwinMayflower likes this.
  4. Forster

Forster Chieftain

This sucks because I have always garrisoned my cities with archers until such time as I could upgrade them to crossbow.

5. Victoria

So do I, but if a concentrated attack of early barbs comes along it's best to have a warrior in the city and an archer behind. It's a question of judging the attack.

6. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

Awesome info. Thanks for starting this thread!

7. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Chieftain

Thing is, if you have a ranged unit, you can attack with the city first, then with the ranged unit.
    Something for going either way.

I do prefer ranged units in coastal cities, just to fend off the stupid barb boats.

8. Temppu

Temppu Chieftain

Do you think Encampment defences update when you build new stronger units? I have had games where the Encampments have been stuck at some low combat strength from the era in which they were built.

9. Victoria

I have seen this low value also but never really looked into it. I think I remember,bet doing some testing and found if you put a unit in the encampment it updated but I would have to check again.

Temppu likes this.
  10. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

This is just a visual bug, when you actual attack the encampment you'll see its strength being the same as the city's. (Assuming no garrison on both, and both does not receive/receive the same terrain bonus)

Victoria likes this.
  11. Temppu

Temppu Chieftain

Thanks, good to know. This is pretty much what I expected, but never really put the effort to find out if the number showing in Encampments is wrong.

12. Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons Full-time Cat Lover Supporter

Awesome thread... :grouphug:

Thanks for the info, Victoria...

This is stuff I can really use to improve my game play.

So put a melee unit INSIDE the city and put ranged units NEAR the city...

I think I got it :cool::D:cool::D

13. Victoria

For a coastal city use a naval melee in the city so it can have a ranged ground unit

14. Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons Full-time Cat Lover Supporter

]

Okay, got it. I can do this on my current game.... :)