City Trading

Aleenik

Deity
The Netherlands declared war on me and during the course of the war I took 2 of their cities near me. These were very bad cities with a small population and these cities were completely disconnected from their main territory. One turn after I made peace, the Netherlands offered to buy one of the cities that I took from them. It was a bad deal, so I went through the options and I found out that he was willing to give me one of his core cities for one of the bad cities that I took. Not only that; the deal value was so out of whack that he gave me the core city, all of his resources except for the last copy of each, and all of his gold per turn. He accepted. And even then, I still had hundreds of thousands of points available. So essentially if the other cities had not at this time said "impossible" to trade when I clicked on them I could have gotten them too. But that leads me to what happened next. I then talked to him again and noticed he was willing to give me another one of his core cities, which he previously considered impossible to trade, for the other bad city of his that I took. So I again made the deal. His economy is now completely ruined due to me taking 2 of his core cities, all of his gold, and essentially all of his resources. While at war I can, so far, never get an AI to give me a city because they place an extremely high numerical value on all of their cities. Like 70,000+ (or just outright "impossible") when, even after a war where I absolutely destroyed them, I only have about 3,000 points available to be used in negotiation. And yet after a war, it seems you can just trade the AI cities that you took and get amazing deals out of it. Is this intended? If not, is there a way I can disable city trading while at peace, but still keep the option for trading cities when making a peace deal? Even though so far I have never been able to get an AI to give me a city in a peace deal.

Also, as an aside, why do cities have turns of resistance even when acquired via a regular trade deal? They will be in resistance for about 15 turns.

...And yet after a war, it seems you can just trade the AI cities that you took and get amazing deals out of it. Is this intended? If not, is there a way I can disable city trading while at peace, but still keep the option for trading cities when making a peace deal? Even though so far I have never been able to get an AI to give me a city in a peace deal.

The AI will pay a lot to get back its cities, and it definitely offers them in peace negotiations. But the example you gave sounds like a bug, because there's no good explanation for what the AI did.

The AI will pay a lot to get back its cities, and it definitely offers them in peace negotiations. But the example you gave sounds like a bug, because there's no good explanation for what the AI did.
The situation that I described happened again, though with a different civilization, so I think everyone is probably able to do this very gamey tactic but just might not realize they are able to. I can provide a save file if it would help.

The situation that I described happened again, though with a different civilization, so I think everyone is probably able to do this very gamey tactic but just might not realize they are able to. I can provide a save file if it would help.

If someone confirms that it's a bug, you may want to post the save on Github. And if it's not, then it sure sounds like a loophole Gazebo should fix.

Top Bottom