Citysets

woodelf

Bard
Retired Moderator
Garret - so you just need a handful of nif files to put together a mostly barren cityset?

Geomodder - once Garret has a basic nif you can XML it up so Moon colonies don't start as a large, sprawling metropolis?

This was one of my biggest issues with the old version.

Geomodder - once Garret has a basic nif you can XML it up so Moon colonies don't start as a large, sprawling metropolis?

Easily. :)
And as long as we keep the "era" feature in the mod, we could put a lot of structures in a single .nif citysetfile. I only need one or two empty structure slots to create a fairly empty cityplot.

That's what I wanted to hear!

Any suggestions other than the prefab building what should be in the default colonies? I have 10-15 sci-fi buildings and Grave's Area-51 is super as well. hrochland has some nice ones too.

Did you commit all your scifi buildings to the download section, Woodelf?
In any case, a quick look there shows at least 2 distinct styles or coloring. Perhaps we could even have different citysets... :mischief:

I might not have put all of my stuff in the download section for various reasons.

Different citysets could be doable if we have a reason and way to differentiate why they need to be unique. Militaristic, scientific, economic, and religious types?

From top of my head basic surface structures for a beginning moonbase:
- communications mast/tower
- one or two comm dishes.
- landingpad for shuttles/rockets (a simple circle on the surface with markings would do)
- vehicle/personnel airlock structure
- solar panel field?

The style depends on whether or not the first bases are underground or surface structures.
If surface structures are the norm, the following buildings come on top of above:
- 2-3 different types of prefab buildings (you have one atm IIRC)
- 1-2 kind(s) of storage facilities. Globeformed and tankformed is best with struts on the underside to keep it from 'falling over' ;) Actually your reskinned tankfarm would do fine for starters.

I know that underground would be best, but they'd be boring. :p

Maybe we have Dune-type sandworms underground that prevent underground bases? :joke:

I have a Hoth generator that I really like for the power supply of the colonies. I also have a comm type tower that I never textured because the idea lost steam in SMAC. Actually, most of my buildings are leftovers...

We could begin underground, and use (habitated) surface structures later on as better radiation shielding is developped.
But take underground with a grain of salt, most likely an upstart mooncolony would put the inhabited structures on the surface but cover them with a meter thick layer of moonrock, so you could perhaps create little "bumps" in a few shapes, textured with the barren rock .dds.

But I'll never come around to checking out what is available or not if you keep on responding here. :p

Maybe we have Dune-type sandworms underground that prevent underground bases? :joke:

the current biodomes in the mod give it its distinctive look.

even if it is later decided that roads will be underground (except perhaps in maria if we keep maria as isolation tiles) and even if most of a city is located underground, certain structures will have to above ground.

in the most minimalist case only the above ground structure would be at least a landing pad until the biodome is built. (I am not arguing for the minimalist case, BTW.)

after the biodome is built every subsequently built structure should be visible - that being the point of having a biodome.

Btw, Woodelf, have you figured out how to make a dome transparent yet? (meaning you can see what's inside?)

A quick look in the download section gives a few ones that can be used:
Your hoth reactor fits in nicely. Even if not as a reactor, it could be used as the charging mechanism of a electro-magnetic launchtube. (think a railwayline attached to its side which goes up a bit on the end)
That research hub fits in too, I think, perhaps as a sort of vehicle garage later on. As is of course the prefab house and the spaceport.
I think the launchpad would be perfect as a basic first 'airfield' without the pillars it stands on.
There's more, but I have to call it the day now.

Is matthewv's dome transparent? Mine is too transparent...I can see through it, but not what's inside, but I have yet to try using it as a Biosphere.

Once Garret chimes in I'll throw him some nifs.

prefab building
Area-51 from Grave
comm tower
solar panel field

What would a personnel/vehicle structure look like?

I'll need to finish the tower and the rest are available for d/l already.

Any thoughts on what a Palace should look like?

In Matthew's dome we could see the city inside, if that is what you mean.

That's what I mean. His could use a perpendicular brace and a few less polys...

Let me see what I can do.

Is this a good enough simple comm tower or does it need a dish?

Attachments

• comm.jpg
    comm.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 271
What would a personnel/vehicle structure look like?

I think your "research lab" looks good as a vehicle garage.
But on second thought that would be better a later-build structure, not part of the cityset.

I'll need to finish the tower and the rest are available for d/l already.

How do you think about creating a pair of satellite dishes next to each other like in that moonbase pic I showed so many times?

Any thoughts on what a Palace should look like?

Do you think we need one? Or else use that dome from your Children's creche and texture a line of windows around it, with the same white color for the walls?
We're a beginning space going species, our structures there are still basic-looking: domes, tubes, geodesics...
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Is this a good enough simple comm tower or does it need a dish?

Sorry, this doesn't fit IMO. Think I set you on the wrong track here.
Space dishes should be like a radio-astronomy setup, or huge satellite dishes.

Perhaps a pylon with antenna here and there strutting out?

Sorry, this doesn't fit IMO. Think I set you on the wrong track here.
Space dishes should be like a radio-astronomy setup, or huge satellite dishes.

Perhaps a pylon with antenna here and there strutting out?

What about hrochland's basic dish setup? Too basic?

Don't be sorry, I think I went the wrong route without help. :)

I think your "research lab" looks good as a vehicle garage.
But on second thought that would be better a later-build structure, not part of the cityset.

It could easily be modified, shrunk, or whatever and used twice. Or reskinned.

How do you think about creating a pair of satellite dishes next to each other like in that moonbase pic I showed so many times?

I'll look at that damned pic tomorrow and attempt something. :p

Do you think we need one? Or else use that dome from your Children's creche and texture a line of windows around it, with the same white color for the walls?
We're a beginning space going species, our structures there are still basic-looking: domes, tubes, geodesics...
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Re-using that Creche model is fine by me. I'll see if Roland wants to reskin again. :)

ok im here.

if you notice, the city reskin i recently made, had a texture overlain on the roof textures to make it look like the roofs are covered in regolith (to help with radiation and meteors)

im here so i would like to see what you have for me. although it make take me a while, as i have a two week deadline right now on something civ-related ;)

Top Bottom