Civ 1 - Thirty years and still going strong

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Civinator, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Civ 1 was released in September 1991. Is there something special planed to celebrate its 30th birthday ?

Blake00 likes this.
  2. Gundus

Gundus Chieftain

A timely question!

What do the people want?

Playthroughs on YouTube?
    Rewriting Rome on 640k a day?
    Teaching a new generation how to play Civ1?
    A Terraform competition?

3. Mize

Mize Prince

I plan to get high and play some civ. But I kind of do that daily.

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

How about a link for a copy to play it? :)

5. Mize

Mize Prince

Yeah, you're not going to get that here since the game is still copyrighted and forum rules forbid the sharing of warez.
    So, how about finding your own link instead of soliciting?

6. axx

axx Warlord

I'm still surprised you can't legally buy this & Civ2/ToT anywhere online. Firaxis has a page dedicated to civ1 on Civilization site but no download links or anything. They could have gone the Blizzard way and distributed the games on GoG like with Diablo1 & Warcraft1/2, well provided they actually own the rights for it.

7. Civinator

In the Civilization Chronicles edition, published by Firaxis and 2K, there is a playable CD Version of Civ 1 - but unfortunately only playable on 32 bit machines.

8. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

You could have just done what @Civinator did and provide something useful, but I guess immediately going full blown prick mode was an option too. I don't know what is and isn't available out there.

9. Mize

Mize Prince

If you failed to understand what I was hinting at with my second sentence and somebody has to spell it out for you, that's entirely your problem.

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I understood exactly what you're saying, I'm pointing out you're being a little chaff with the new guy. Take it from a lover of a slightly less than 30 year old game that it's not good business when you finally get someone new poking around to immediately put up walls and a little tact goes a long way to keeping these games going strong.

11. axx

axx Warlord

Good to know. Looking at the wiki they also included Civ2 (but without MGE). So it's clear 2k still owns both games.

12. Mize

Mize Prince

Then please excuse me for not perceiving someone with 3000+ posts in a civ forum as the 'new guy'.

13. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Ever seen me post in this forum? I'm done with you now - take the advice or leave it. It's up to you :)

14. Mize

Mize Prince

Not inclined to take advice from someone who thinks a forum query on this matter is faster or could yield better results than a good old google search.
    Neither from someone who has been posting here for years, apparently without ever reading the (global) forum rules.
    Maybe if you had worded your question differently, like 'is civ still available?' or 'where can you get it?' you would've gotten a less 'chaffy' reply. Who knows?

15. Civinator

Gentlemen, please all calm down. The upcoming jubilee is positive and thus should be the direction of this thread, too. :)
    There are some interesting suggestions in this thread and I hope some more will be added.

Rewriting Rome on 640k a day could be a much too big endavour. I have this great book and rewriting 376 pages could be a little too much. :crazyeye:

Playthroughs on YouTube could be an interesting idea. :)

How should a Civ 1 Terraform competition work ?

To find an easy accessable playable version of Civ 1 and to ask every civer even in the forums of other versions of the Civilization series at CFC to play a prepared Civ 1 starting game in honour of the great jubilee and to post the results, could also be an interesting idea (of course the Civ 1 profis here will have a big advantage - but in my eyes this doesn´t matter, it´s the fun that counts).

Btw.: I found a thread about the Civ Chronicles version of Civ 1 at CFC: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-chronicles.654404/

16. Mize

Mize Prince

Maybe it's high time we petition 2K to either let go of the game and release it as freeware (like EA did with the old Command & Conquer games back in the day), or to remaster it (like EA did with the old Command & Conquer games last year)? Or maybe they can make it available for purchase from their online store for a few bucks? The anniversary is a great occasion to do something like this.

17. Civinator

This is an interesting suggestion. :) Another address could be GOG. I just bought the new bundle of Space Empires 1-5 for only some Euros at GOG. To have more power for this demand, may be we should start a concentrated action of all forums of the Civ series at 2 K ? As said, the anniversary could be a great occasion for such an action ... and an additional thought: Civ 2 Complete is still missing, too.

18. axx

axx Warlord

There's a 8 year old Civ1&2 wishlist on GOG but I believe it's all up to 2K whether they wish to remake (probably not worth the hassle for them) or release the games on any storefront.

19. Lord_Hill

Lord_Hill Chieftain

On the topic of the version of Civ 1 included in the Chronicles set, it's the 16 bit windows version. Whilst not playable out of the box, it's playable on Windows 10 using a program called WineVDM (which effectively replicates Windows XP's 16 bit support using WINE as a backend).

I play it using the setup suggested by Blake00, with Honza Havlicek's DOS tileset mod to restore the dos graphics and Blake00's own music mod to restore full length Roland music from the DOS game. You effectively end up with a high res DOS version.

If there's any interest I could throw together a quick tutorial on getting it going, it'd be nice to get a few more people playing for the anniversay!

20. Mize

Mize Prince

As previously discussed, people can find and play the game themselves relatively easily, if they really want to. I was thinking more along the lines of how to make people want to find and play and appreciate it. Maybe by spreading some Civ 1 memes or something? Like, say, a screenshot of a battleship attacking a phalanx on shore with a 'Sid Meier's 30 years war' caption below. This will probably only work on people who are already familiar with the series and it's peculiarities, but Civ also influenced a lot of other games, like Age of Empires, so maybe some crossover points can also be found. I might try and throw some jokes together later. We could even make a short youtube video dedicated to the anniversary, but that would involve quite a bit more work.

Civinator likes this.