1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 2 Arts in Civ 3

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Civinator, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

In an upcoming WW 2 scenario for Civ 3 and an epic Civ 3 mod, I use some Civ 2 art that works nice in Civ 3, too. I want to give the authors proper credit, but I don´t know their names. May be you can help me to figure out, who made the airfield and the city marked with red arrows in the screenshot?

Attached Files:

2. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle Scenario League Member

The city looks like Jamestout and the airfield Curt Sibling.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

Thank you very much Harry Tuttle. :)

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

For the upcoming worldmap of that epic Civ 3 mod, I use a lot of different Civ 2 city graphics and here for most of them I have the same problem: I don´t know the names of the artists to give them the proper credit they should get. There are many civers who share my opinion, that these Civ 2 cities do a wonderful job in Civ 3, too.

Any help in identifying the names of these artists would be highly appreciated.

About the cities in the first screenshot I don´t know the artist of the Greek/Roman city, the Egyptian cities and the Minoan city.

In the second screenshot I don´t know the creator of the Spanish city.

In the third screenshot I don´t know the artist of the Indonesian cities (Padang and Palembang).

In the fourth screenshot I don´t know the creator of the Chinese and Korean cities.

In the fifth screenshot I don´t know the creator of the Mongolian cities (the tents).

The cities of the sixth screenshot are mostly obsolete.

In the seventh screenshot I don´t know the artist of the European cities (with these wonderful wooden palisades).

In the eighth screenshot I don´t know the artist of the Northern American and Caribic cities.

In the nineth screenshot I don´t know the artist of all cities you can see.

In the tenth screenshot there are the Northern american cities from that unknown Civ 2 artist again.

In the last screenshot there are the Southern American cities from the unknown Civ 2 artist again.

5. Harry Tuttle

Actually that airfield might be Fairline. Hard to tell.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

Yes, this is the problem. These graphics are there for such a long time, taken in lots of compilations and now it´s very difficult to remember, who did these graphics. May be Fairline can tell us if this is his airfield or not. :D

7. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

Nope, not me HT - Curt I think. There's some BeBro ancient cities there too, and IIRC the N American ones are from Carl Fritz's scenarios.

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Yep, that is one of my old airfields, based on fairline's work to a great degree, though!

PS
    Pretty cool and weird seeing that CIV2 content in CIV3 - :D

9. Harry Tuttle

Ahhh gotcha. Should have gone with my first inkling.

10. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

I could probably find out the scenarios most of the cities were from but finding the exact authors would probably mean hours of searching through read me files for credits and I just haven't got the time to do that right now. If the artists are anything like me I'm sure they would just be glad someone is still making good use of them after all these years and I'm sure they would not begrudge you not crediting them. If you had used loads of units or cites from a single artist then that might be a bit different.

11. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

Thank you all for your help so far. :) I don´t want that you invest time in the research about the authors, it´s just if someone of you remembers the creator or, as it happened with the airfield, can say "that was done by me".

I upgraded the credits in my epic Civ 3 mod by CurtSibling (as the airfield is in that mod, too). Jamestout and others will follow, when the world map is added. That mod is rather popular by Civ 3 players.

When I have the time I will look in my archives and reopen a thread about Civ 3 art in Civ 2 ToT, focusing on animated units.

Attached Files:

12. McMonkey

That sounds fair. I wish I had more time as I would like to try your CivIII scenario/mod. Unfortunately I have 101 things to do at the moment and very little time to do them in. One day I will get round to it though!

13. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

McMonkey, there is still a lot to do for Civ 2, too. And there are items that can be better done in Civ 2 than in Civ 3. I have a space mod for Civ 2 ToT I like a lot and so it is not completely finished, it is still very playable and a lot of fun. One of the crucial points in that mod is the decision to switch "to the dark side of the force" or not. If you do the step to the dark side, you gain such nice toys as deadstars, better yedis (spys) and some other advantages in combat, but you can only win by conquering two galaxies (what is quite a task, even with such units). If you don´t join the Dark Side, you can also win by reaching transcendency, leading your civ to another level of evolution.

This can´t be done with Civ 3. :D

14. McMonkey

15. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

It´s not a Star Wars mod. When Civ 2 ToT appeared, I combined all SF-stuff I could get into that mod. There are also Klingons, Kilrathi, Romulans, Cylons, The lost Colonies, the Solar Empire of Perry Rhodan, the Federation - and of course the Darksiders and a lot of other civs in that mod.

It´s played on two enlarged kobayashi land-spacemaps standing for the two galaxies Milky Way and Andromeda with random starting positions.

16. Arthedain

Arthedain - Celestial Being - SLeague Staff

So many posts..

Don't forget to credit Favoured Flight, I noticed you used his Rohan city-style!

17. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

Thank you very much for the hint, but in which screenshot and used for what city is the Rohan-city? :)

18. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

19. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Good work, sir! Not sure if my CIV3 disks are still around...:)

20. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

Here we can see some parts of your good work, sir! I have not forgotten that some time ago you posted a future aim for you could be to create the ultimate Civ2 WW2 Mod. I like this aim. :) I don´t know, if you can remember some years ago when you worked on Dictator 7, I gave you some dates of SOE for city sizes in WW 2. I think, now your last WW2 scenario is EW. Will there be a next one?

Does there exist a Civ 2 WW2 scenario converting the tech-tree to a calendar?