CIV 2 Glitch?

haleewud

Prince
I was playing along late in the game of GOTM 121. I have moved a substantial army (32 units covering 17 squares, which also intruded into another neighboring city) into position surrounding one of the Zulu towns. My government was Democracy but I was at war with the Zulus.

At the same time, I had a few units in the city limits of the few remaining German cities. I had a senate enforced peace treaty with the Germans.

During the year end processing, the Germans demanded that I withdraw. I was not ready to take a chance that the government would fall, so I withdrew. I was told that 3 units were withdrawn.

When I started the next turn, I started to attack the Zulu city. It cost me 16 units, but I conquered the city.

Now about the glitch. When I finished the attack, my turn finally took me to other units around the map. In a city near the Zulu city (17 squares away), I suddenly found a fairly large number of units that I didn't remember having there. I checked the home cities of the units. I then went back to the save file from the end of the previous turn. Much to my surprise, I see that 6 units that finished the turn stacked together in a square directly next to the Zulu city (494,36) were now located 18 squares away in my city (461,35). Also one other unit was relocated from 496,34 to the same city. This unit actually survived 2 attacks by the Zulus before being relocated.

I made a special save of the Auto save file and replayed the end of turn three times.

In the first replay, I watched the 2 attacks on the single unit. While still shoing the defending unit (and the surrounding area) the Germans demanded that I leave their city. I could actually see the units diasppear from the Zulu cities.

In the second replay, I refused to withdraw. The units, of course were not withdrawn. Of course, as expected, the government fell in response to the scandal and about half of my cities went into disorder.

In the third replay, before hitting the end of turn, I 'unfortified' the 3 units near the German cities and removed them from the German city limits. Now it turns out I still had a couple of units 'near' a German city, but they were also inside a fortification that was in the limits of my cities. The Germans still demanded that I withdraw, I agreed, but no units were actually removed (from either the German cities or Zulu cities).

I loooked a little closer and noticed that I also had 18 units in four squares next to a Roman city. I was also at peace with the Romans. 3 units from one of the 4 squares were also removed from Roman territory.

It cost me 16 units, but I conquered the city.
Wow. What were you up against?

Now about the glitch. The first thing that came to my mind was that Germans have cities near the Zulu but in that game they are too far away for this to be possible. Second thing that came to my mind was that this may have to do something with the game being confused about the zero line, but again that is not possible since in that game we are playing on a flat map. I have to agree with you that this is a glitch/bug. The mystery is what is triggering this since normally the game handles such situations properly.

As far as the game is concerned, I would recommend going back to the previous save and playing the third scenario you described in which the bug does not manifest itself.

The glitch seems to be with the Romans. Why had the AI not forced you off near Rome? Maybe the AI have a 16 turn cycle about how they choose DOW or Peace and the Computer was still waiting for the cycle, but when you agreed to do it for the Germans it triggered the AI to do an early check and noticed there were violations of the rule, that would not have manifested itself until the end of a cycle.

Of course, during the year-end processing the Romans were processed before Zulus or the Germans. The Romans did send the following message:
Your troops have violated the territory of Veii. By terms of our peace treaty you must withdraw immediately or face the consequences.

The reason the Romans did not actually force me to withdraw was because it was the first turn I had ever violated their territory.

My troops had been stationed in German territory for several turns and I had previously been warned.

And I might have understood if all units from all 4 Roman squares had been withdrawn. But only 1 square's units were withdrawn.

Wow. What were you up against?
Since this is still an on-going GOTM, I have hidden my response in case anybody doesn't want to be influenced by my strategy.

Spoiler :
The Zulu defenders were 3 musketeers behind city walls, they may have been veteran, but I don't know. I was attacking with veteran Alpine Troops and Partisans. Of course, since I had 'lost' 6 units before I even started, a few of the attacks had to be made at 2/3 strength. This helped increase the body count. 13 Alpine and 3 partisans died in the attack.

By the way, I have only moved a few units since noticing the glitch. I have not yet finished the 'glitched' turn. Do you really think I would be allowed to back up to avoid the glitch?

I have replayed using scenario 3. I have the save files and will submit them with the normal save files.

When I did the replay, I noticed that the Germans only warned me about being in their territory. I had units inside 3 fortifications that were technically with the Frankfurt city limits (during the original scenario, I had troops "in the open" directly adjacent to Berlin, Frankfurt and Heidelburg). These fortifications are also technically within the city limits of my (captured) cities.

So, no units were removed. I was able to attack the Zulu city and this time only lost 13 units instead of 16. I attribute this to not having to make any 2/3 strength attacks. After taking over the Zulu city, I moved my units adjacent to the next Zulu city. The Senate passed a resolution supporting continued peace-keeping efforts against the Zulus.

In finishing up that turn, I withdrew my units from Roman territory (although they are still poised just outside, ready to surround several Roman cities at the desired moment). I did not move the units from the fortifications near Frankfurt.

When I clicked on the 'end of turn', after an unsuccessful Zulu attack on one unit, the Germans once again noticed that I had troops in their territory. They demanded that I withdraw them. Once again, I could not take the chance of the government falling (I was about to get 2 advances that I really wanted), so I agreed to withdraw. This time, only 1 unit was removed from Zulu territory (of about 10 or 11 that were in their territory). Also, this time the unit was only removed as far as the recently conquered city (4 squares instead of 17 squares).

I had units in 3 different squares outside Frankfurt. When I reviewed at the start of the new turn, 2 of the 3 squares seemed to be unaffected. The other square had units missing, but there was still a spy inside the fortification.

I have no idea why this is reacting so strangely. This time I had no real alternative (since the units were not actually fortified). Since it is only 1 unit that was removed, I will live with the glitch. Also, I think on this turn I am actually ready to overthrow the English democracy and move back to full war mode so, I won't be appeasing any irrelevant German (or Roman) demands.

Top Bottom