Civ 2 multiplayer waiting for game host

mark krieger

Chieftain
Hi guys, I am trying to play civ 2 gold edition with my friend, either lan or online, neither works. Even with LAN, I get a "we are waiting for game machine to connect" message, and the computers never connect. We get the same message on any multiplayer option,as well.

On LAN games, the other computers can see the game hosted, but get the prior message when trying to connect.
I don't see why LAN games would have any issues, period. So, I would just start with the ideas on how to fix that first.
I have also tried port forwarding in the router, in the firewalls, and turning off the firewalls.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Have you checked the connection using the "ping" comand in the cmd program?
Use ipconfig command to see the IP direction of both computers.

sent =4, received = 0, lost =4 for one laptop

sent = 4, received =4, lost =0 for two laptop

I had a similar problem some months ago. If one of them is not receiving the signal, you have some problem with firewalls. Be sure to disable all firewalls in both computers. Not only antivirus firewall, also windows firewall.

I had a similar problem some months ago. If one of them is not receiving the signal, you have some problem with firewalls. Be sure to disable all firewalls in both computers. Not only antivirus firewall, also windows firewall.

What did you do to make it work?

I disabled Microsoft firewalls on both computers when trying. My router ports are forwarded. My anti-virus has the game listed in allowed programs.
My guess is the router is the problem. Seeing how online tests report my port as closed, even after opening them.
I tried plugging both computers into the router via ethernet.
Any suggestions? If i can get it to work somewhere, then i can narrow down the problem device.

I have no idea. What I can tell you is that I ended dissabling the antivirus firewall completely for the duration of the game, and no problem. We play in LAN mode.

Ok, I'll disable it and see if it works. Maybe Norton is still lurking on one of the computers.

Thanks
I'll post again if it works or not, in case anyone else is having or will have this issue.

1. If you have static IP, one must create 'Internet Game' the other types in IP address of the host.
2. If you don't have that then both of you get Hamachi, I actually don't know if that is even available at least it was back in the day, but in this case join the same room and create 'Network Game' TCP/IP. One must first create then wait for the other to join.
Never did I ever have issues with connectivity

1. If you have static IP, one must create 'Internet Game' the other types in IP address of the host.
2. If you don't have that then both of you get Hamachi, I actually don't know if that is even available at least it was back in the day, but in this case join the same room and create 'Network Game' TCP/IP. One must first create then wait for the other to join.
Never did I ever have issues with connectivity

I could try hamachi again. It didnt work when i tried it, but maybe i didn't do it correctly. I had never used it before.
So i host a hamachi room. The other joins. Then i create the network game in civ 2. Then the other joins? Think that is what i tried, but i can try again.
I tried so many things. I was figuring that the multiplayer must be broken with some new windows 10 thing. Seemed absurd that a LAN game wouldn't work...

I could try hamachi again. It didnt work when i tried it, but maybe i didn't do it correctly. I had never used it before.
So i host a hamachi room. The other joins. Then i create the network game in civ 2. Then the other joins? Think that is what i tried, but i can try again.
I tried so many things. I was figuring that the multiplayer must be broken with some new windows 10 thing. Seemed absurd that a LAN game wouldn't work...

Every hamachi user gets virtual IP address, I believe you can type that in 'Internet game' mode as well.

ok, I tried disabling the firewalls again to no avail. I also retried hamachi, no luck. I really don't get it. A LAN shouldn't have issues. I tried the internet and LAN game option using the hamachi ip address with the little desktop app that downloads. My computers connect in the little app saying 2 of 5. and I still get waiting for game machine to connect message. Like before, I see the game, but can't join.

Is there something I am missing?

Hamachi should bi-pass router firewalls and go right in?

I would advise to not use LAN at all it might be broken. I don't recall disabling firewall either. It probably has more to do with specific port that civ2 use for connections. Unfortunately I don't know what the port number is, but if one use hamachi it doesn't matter. Chances are you and your friend share the same ISP even the same router perhaps? It cannot establish connection with itself though.

Hi Mark!

As you can see in this thread, other people as well as myself had the same issues:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...tiplayer-game-in-win-10.571438/#post-14434917

As I have posted there earlier, the solution is to install a Virtual Box and run Win XP or maybe Win 7 as well as Evolve or maybe Hamatchi. After about 40 hours of trial and error it turned out that Civ 2 MP doesnt run on Win 10, most likely because of Win 10 internal network adapter priorities, which I couldnt figure out how to change - and I am not sure if that is even the reason. Hence, Civ 2 MP only runs indirectly on Win 10 by installing a Virtual Box. For me it only worked with Evolve, not Hamatchi, and Win XP in the Virtual Box. I hope this helps you. Let me know, if it worked. Thx.

If you have Steam, you might want to add me for further conversation about this issue and exchanging ideas. I have the same nick name there. Maybe we can even have a Civ 2 MP game and find an appointment due to Steam contact. Thx.

Hello.I search always partners for multiplayer Civ 2,they are no more...As my friend from Steam said,solution is Virtual Box.Evolve was tested too with a friend from Finland,using both Windows 7. Recenty I played with players from a VK group with fans of Civ 2,most russians,but using other games network,Tunngle,in a room of Civ 3,Civ 2 is not in the list of games.Maybe you have time for a Civ 2 Multiplayer with us:).

Last edited:
Top Bottom