Civ 2 on XP (32 bit)

Kid2255

Chieftain
When I insert the Civ 2 CD into my drive and go in to hit setup, I get this error:
http://anotherrssite.webs.com/apps/photos/photo/next?photoid=68879419
Is the photo.

The error message has 2 options: Ignore and Close.

The exact message is

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I tried the properties and changing compatibility thing, but it didn't work. All options were checked and the compatibility was set to 'Windows 95'.

http://anotherrssite.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=68879981
Shows what I'm using to start the setup.

I'm about to try switching to 16 bit. Probably won't work, but I'm desperate atm.
CD is in drive D:.

I also tried downloading the patch from Atari but I got a stupid error.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

~Kid

Nothing malicious, as I've run over 5 scans in the time I first tried installing, but I'll check out the site. Thanks a lot,

~Kid

IT WOOOORKED! THANK YOU!

Now I get to suck against the AI. :D

EDIT: Now I'm getting 3 errors that say "Cannot find SHELL.DLL",
1 that says "Cannot find SMEDSNET.DLL" and 1 saying "Cannot find file C:\DOCUME~1\Myname\Desktop\CIV2.EXE (I tried in the folder, start menu, everything) (or one of it's components). Check to ensure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available."

The game installed fine though, and I got the drivers from the internet (NOT the game).

So you installed the game, presumably vanilla Civ2, and then what? Installed the official 2.42 patch, ie, overwrote the files in your Civ2 folder with the ones from the ZIP file? What did you do to generate that error? If you extracted the patch ZIP to your desktop, drag its contents into your Civ2 folder, don't run Civ2.exe from the extracted archive. Is the file, smedsnet.dll, located in your Civ2 folder?

I installed no patch.... I presume you mean the one in this forum? I thought it was for MGM and TOT, and I confirmed I have vanilla CivII.

The one for which I provided the link in your other thread. The 2.42 patch is for vanilla Civ2. But you haven't explained what you did. Where do you have the game installed? Surely not on the desktop? How did you launch the game? By running Civ2.exe directly from the Civ2 directory or from a shortcut (Start menu or desktop)? If the latter, does your shortcut have the correct Target location and Start in directory?

Top Bottom