1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 2 player questions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivRalph1, Oct 2, 2010.

1. CivRalph1

CivRalph1 Chieftain

Been playing Civ 2 forever, did not like Civ 3/4 at all. Just bought Civ 5 and boy has the game changed.

Please list the question number with the answer (I am easy to confuse :lol:).

1. If I build a tile improvement does that change (remove any production) from the tile (other than forest obviously).

2. Other than Happiness what are the negative effects for having lots of cities? Does a large Happiness number help?

3. How do you tell exactly what tiles are being used by a city (and not the one nest door)?

4. What are the negative effects from simply buying a bunch of tiles next to a new city?

5. In Civ 2 I could supply Food from one city to another. Can I do this in Civ 5?

6. Other then simply buying buildings is there any way to "force" a city to grow faster?
    In Civ 2 I could add Settlers to a city until it reached size 8.

7. I saw someone comment that you need to build a Farm on every river Tile pretty much no matter what. Why?
    I have a Forest, Grassland, Hill, River. Why would Farm be best?

8. Can I change the Tile type? I.e. From Plains to Grassland? Change Mountain to something useful?

Thanks for any help. :)

2. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

1. Yes
    2. Yes big happiness helps with the proper social policies. A large number ofi cities by itself affects only happiness, although the buildings in them means more higher costs
    3. You click on the city :D
    4. You spend gold.
    5. Nope
    6. Only with more food and Hanging Gardens

8. Nope.

3. CivRalph1

CivRalph1 Chieftain

Does creating a city on a tile with a special resource (say Iron or Marble) count as "working" that resource? I would hate to waste a critical resource.

Is there some way to move a worker from one tile to another?

4. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

Yes. The city tile is worked for free.

5. CivRalph1

CivRalph1 Chieftain

Part of the benefit of the Angkor Wat is that is the culture cost of buying new tiles is reduced by 75% in every city.

Did they mean to say Gold cost or are the tiles supposed to cost culture?

For the Granary, it says increases Food intake, speeding up the city's growth. What does that mean exactly?

If I start building a Wonder and someone else completes it before I do, what happens to all the resources that were being used to build it? Is there some way to just throw money at it like in Civ 2?

Is there a way to simply buy a city. I don't mind taking over the city, then burning it to the ground, then rebuilding it just to get one tile. There must be a better way.

6. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Chieftain

2. Being able to defend cities it pretty important. If you're scattered thinly, you're gonna lose something.

3. on the city screen you can click "citizen allocation focus". This lets you select, and lock down, specific tiles you want to work, say choosing production over food to finish a wonder quickly. The ai "governor" of each city may change your tiles from time to time so if it's important to you, be sure you lock them. There is a symbol indicative of another city using a tile on that screen. The mouse-over tooltip reveals it.

4. Wasting money if you do it too often. You city grabs tiles over time relative to culture income. Sometimes if you are near another player they may get mad you're grabbing up tiles. I'd say do it for sure if it's a resource of any kind, a hill if your city has no production( for a mine ) or anything along a river, except a mountain.

6. Befriending or allying maritime city states rewards food. Adds up pretty fast in the renaissance or later, especially if you have 2 maritime allies. Happiness might not be able to keep up.

7. People also say "spam trading posts on every tile". Just depends what your city needs. If you need growth, build a farm. If you're fine on growth build trading posts or production (mine/lumbermill)

Culture gives you free plot expansion (every so many turns). Angkor Wat makes this happen faster.

Granary adds +2 food to the city's center plot.

If you fail a wonder you get some money back.

Yes, you can outright buy a settler, you can outright buy each building, except courthouse. The cost does not decrease, however, if you already put production into it. Same with units. Flat rate.

7. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

No, it reduces the time that a cities border expands naturally by 75%. If you look in the city screen at the top left you will see a purple hexagon filling up slowly which tells you how many turns until the next border expansion.
    If you are still expanding into unsettled areas by the time this wonder is available it can be a big help in establishing territory quickly without having to spend lots of gold and having to buy it instead.

It adds +2 food to the city food production.
    If you are midway through completing a wonder and another civilization beats you to completing it, then the lost production is converted to gold.
    Not that I am aware of.