Civ 3 Battles too Random

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Krunchyman, May 3, 2010.

1. Krunchyman

Krunchyman Chieftain

Does anybody else agree that battles in Civilization 3 are just too random? Ever have that conscript warrior kill your veteran mech infantry, or have your elite paratrooper take a beating from a 4000 year old spearman? These are just examples, but sometimes the attack sequence seems too random and defense based. I am sick of sending elite medieval infantry to attack regular spearmen or swordsman in the middle ages scenario and having to reload the game eight times. Who else agrees?

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Long long hashing and rehashing of the rng, it is too strong. Never heard of a warrior of any kind beating a MI or even a knight though. Can't speak to para as I never use them.

MDI losing to spears/swords (same thing on defense) is reasonable. Try bringing some bombardment and skip the reloads. Too much trouble.

3. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

4. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

I guess you'd be sick of this too:
    :spear:
    I had heard a lot about it, but after almost 5 years playing, it never happened to me...

Until today! So it is true! :eek:

You can watch this embarasing defeat here :sad:

5. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Prince

Is war unfair? Do you complain about your love life too?

Welcome to Sid's world.

6. Krunchyman

Krunchyman Chieftain

All I can say is - Wow.

7. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

That spearman must have been using poisoned spears or something. A healthy veteran tank losing to a 1 HP regular spearman is not just not reasonable, it is beyond credible! :mad: Although to tell the truth, after seeing everyone talking about their spear vs tank experience, I felt like I was missing something, like I hadn't played as long as everyone else had. Now I feel complete :D

8. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

Yesterday. I saw the second WORST ever possible defeat. A redlined barbarian warrior defeated an elite MODERN ARMOR at 5/5 health! That's a SUPER :spear:

9. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Prince

I call this one "His brother was a Spearman." Last week I had to take down a 3/4 pikeman, in a city, on grass, unfortified. I took 22 HP of damage from him before inflicting a 1 HP in return. He took out a vet, 2 elites and an 8 HP army (legions). But he was just getting started; he took out 2 more vets & drove my last attacker to 1 remaining HP before succombing. After that would have come a 9 HP army, but given the history, I wouldn't have been too sanguine. Along the way he took down MedInf and knights, as well as the legionnaires. Not the greatest mismatch, but certainly the greatest one-sided fight I've ever had with the RNG. . . .

kk

10. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

That's the kind of fights that make us want to raze cities. :mad:

11. undertoad

undertoad Warlord

Has anyone noticed a kind of consistency with the RNG? It's not randomly good to you or bad to you from battle to battle, but seems to get into stable good or bad moods.

I notice this with arty especially, and bombers when they come. Either 70-80% of my arty stack does damage (this turn, the RNG is in a good mood), or 90-100% of them miss.

Also, I may be imagining it, but some cities prove just impossible to take, when others succumb easily. And it's not a hill,cross-river attack or city size issue, I'm aware of those. In one city, vet rifleman just fold to my Cavalry, and I get at least 3 HP off them with each Cav. In a town down the road I can't get a single HP off the Riflemen, or 1 if I'm lucky.

Oddly, conscript Riflemen seem to fight particularly badly. I'm not talking about the fact that they only have 2HP: those 2HP seem far easier to knock off them than any 2HP from veterans. Conscripts also seem to be more likely to take damage from arty than vets.

There also seems to be something that makes the last defender fight particularly hard. Of course that may be just my increased tension when I know it's the last one, distorting my perceptions.

12. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I think the culprit is the low number of HPs of the units and therefore the number of rounds a combat has. Increase it for all units and experience levels proportionally and luck will have less impact.

13. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

yuppers...have that happen every so often.~

14. ElCommanchero

ElCommanchero Chieftain

I swear Elite's fight harder too. They must get like a 10% bonus or something, it's more than just the HPs.

I have noticed though, what you mean about the RNG. When something stupid happens, like a warrior killing a fortified pikeman, it will usually be a steamroll victory with the warrior winning every round.

It's an odd thing.

15. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Prince

I might have, but it had Leo's, which I needed rather badly, & the Great Wall, which I needed to get rid of :) Losing the elite knight & Med Inf, not to mention the Legionnaire army, was rather hard to take, though. If I hadn't knocked him out, I would have to have retreated to heal up, letting the AI pump more units into the city & having to do it all over again.

To recap: he did 33 HP of damage vs. taking 4 (of course he got a promo to elite along the way).

kk

16. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

honestly, it is the nature of the game though. given it is based off numbers versus "reality" you will see these things happen. is it frustrating as all get out? you bet! can't count the number of times I catch self cursing my game out for crazy things happening... LOL

in the end though...it is partially just BECAUSE of that uncertainty that I actually find the game entertaining... :)~

17. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

In one of my games as the Hittites, I went to destroy the last Dutch city, Breda, which was a colony on the continent of France, Carthage, and England. I only sent four cavalry, plus about 20 frigates, I'll explain why later. France kills two of my cavalry, leaving two to attack Breda. I had my frigates fortified, so I was waking them one by one and having them bombard. They all miss. I figured that if I didn't attack this turn, France would kill the other two so I attacked anyway. Cavalry 1 dies without putting up a fight, and Cavalry 2 dies after taking one HP of the rifleman, and the rifleman regains it. I sent the fleet back home, to discover one frigate that was fortified. I take a potshot in frustration, and voila, it takes another HP off the rifleman.

The reason for only four cavalry was the Iroqouis. They had two stinkin' colonies on my continent, Skannayutenate and New Salamanca. Skannayutenate was a sizable city built in former Celtic lands, and a whole army died just to redline a rifleman. It would take me several more attacks just to take the city, and I figured it was safe from flipping, so I put about 8 wounded cavalry in the city to heal. Who could have guessed, it flipped. I attacked it that turn, and for some reason there are 2 regulars, which take some more cavalry to kill, then I finally destroy the city.

New Salamanca, a city in the tundra in the very south of my continent, built on some German ruins, I still haven't taken despite so many cavalry attacking the city.

18. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Well, "seems to get into stable good or bad moods" is IMO a very good definition of random. :)

19. shl7070

shl7070 Warlord

I saw that strange effects with strange defeats but there is a way to ignore them:
    massive invasion forces with fast units and double-bombard units, the chance of double miss is much lower and sometimes there is double hit. This is useful in coastal town siege because industrial era ships are all fast and have double bombard and they never failed me.

20. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

It does sometimes work toward the carbon-based player's benefit, though. I remember my first :spear: experience--I was down to my last city, but wanted to go down fighting, and my spear defeated a tank (Roman, if I recall correctly). Imagine my surprise. :) Of course, then it was India's turn and the elephants finished me off. :p