Civ 3 Battles too Random

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Krunchyman, May 3, 2010.

1. rollo1066

rollo1066 Warlord

I agree that obsolete units win a few too many battles. However this doesn't actually happen very often. After all some outdated militarys have sometimes won a few battles against modern army's (in 19th century). Example Zulu vs. British. Also the Germans in 9AD may have been as far behind Rome in same was as the Zulu were behind the British in 19th century.

2. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I'd just like to point out that the Germanic Tribes were not outclassed Spear vs. Rifle. Rather, sword vs. gladius. Also, Arminius or whatever you want to call him, was raised in the Roman Empire and knew Roman tactics. In addition, Varus's stupidity, by letting his troops walk straight through a terrain perfect for ambush, must have helped. But it was still an upset to the Romans in what could be described as their Civ 3 Golden Age.

3. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Further, at least some of the Germans (IIRC) were auxiliaries to the Romans, and would have had access to Roman arms and equipment. Not to mention, sword vs gladius is not necessarily outclassing. A gladius is a better weapon in tight quarters when you can get into formation, and thrusting is better than slashing, but a larger sword is usually a bit better when you can catch your enemy out of formation.

Regarding Varus's stupidity - he *was* in more-or-less occupied territory, and Arminius was supposedly a loyal Roman ally who could guarantee there were no enemies in the area and was guiding them. Varus should have had outriders and a vanguard, sure, but he "knew" he was in safe territory.

4. darski

darski Regent in Training

I just quit a game in disgust... a CONSCRIPT Immortal just killed my 12 HP Mounted Warrior army. anyone who says the AI won't attack an army (generally) is wrong.

That is just too much for me to stomach.:gripe:

5. ThERat

ThERat Deity

that's because your army has a defense value of 1 which is bad. The AI will attack armies if their defense value is too low and an immortal has attack 4...so...

6. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Yes, the decisive factor whether the AI will attack an Army or not, is the probability of winning this single fight. BTW, it doesn't have to be an Army: a musketman fortified on a mountain is pretty save too, unless the AI has tanks.

The attack-4 Immortal will have to win 12 times (12HP) against defense-1, while at the same time loosing at most once (2HP). Apparently the probability for this to be successful is still high enough, so the AI risks it.

In general I have seen the AI attack Armies, if they were down to 3-4 HP (so there was a decent chance of beating it with one single unit), or if the Army was inside a town. Apparently when attacking towns, the AI no longer "thinks" it needs to win the very first battle... it sends unit after unit, reducing a couple of HP off the Army, until the town is finally taken (or the AI runs out of units...)

But anyway, did anyone notice: the probability of a conscript Immortal beating a Mounted Warrior Army is still pretty low...
    • First Darski had to get an MGL in the ancient age (which has pretty low probability: I can't remember if after 9 years of playing Civ3 I ever got an AA leader -- not counting scenarios like Rise Of Rome. I usually don't get leaders until the IA, when the game is over anyway... :()
    • Then the AI had to pop a warrior from a hut (this is the only way they could have gotten that conscript)
    • And finally the AI had to upgrade that conscript warrior to Immortal. (Which is quite unlikely as well: on the lower levels the AI either has no barracks, or no money, or simply is too stupid to move units intentionally into towns with barracks in order to upgrade them...)

But I like that story... A Mounted Warrior Army must be a monster in the AA! How disappointing to lose it to a mere conscript...!

7. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

You are very unlucky then :eek:. I assume it depends of the style of play but i find AA MGLs rather common. (OTHO I played C3C at least 4 years before seeing my first SGL :rolleyes:).

8. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

Middle Aged MGLs are most common for me. It probably does depend on your style of play.