1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 3 installation problem

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by newneo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. newneo

newneo Chieftain

Hello everyone, i just bought a Civilization III game for Mac, actually I've the version 10.5.5
    when I launch the Civilization III Installer I get this error: Application Launch Failure The application "(null)" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "<Stand><Stand><CarbonLib><>"

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Which version of Civ3 are you trying to install - MacSoft or Aspyr? What Mac hardware are you installing on?

If it's the Aspyr Civ3 Complete installer, try copying it to the desktop first, then launching it.

If it's the old MacSoft version, and you are trying to install it on an Intel Mac, then it's probably not worth trying, as that version is not compatible with Leopard on modern Mac hardware.

3. pentostome

pentostome Chieftain

Hi!
    you mentioned a compatibility problem which may be mine: I have the old Macsoft Civilization 3 and I'm trying to install it on my intel mac with Tiger. Is it compatible then?
    Pentos

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I don't have Tiger running on an Intel system, so I can't test it. I seem to recall that the compatibility issues started when Leopard came along, but it's a long time ago now. What happens when you try to install it?

Is it really a problem to just find a copy of the current Aspyr Civ3 Complete version? It's far better, and should be able to run on your system with no problems. Your biggest problem may be that even that version has ceased to be available from the mainstream stockists, but eBay should be able to oblige.

5. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Can still get it on Amazon as well (new 15-20$ including shipping within US). & if you click over to amazon from the CFC front page it benefits CFC. ;)