1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 3 to Civ 4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by soupnatizzle, Dec 12, 2007.

1. soupnatizzle

soupnatizzle Chieftain

i need some help. starting out is it best to crank out settler after settler or improve and expand on individual cities?

i just got civ 4 and im lost on strategies. any pointers would be great.

2. Party

Party Warlord

My advice is in terms of strategies, to forget everything that works from CivIII and just start from zero.

And to answer your question, focus on cities.

3. Ace of Gold

Ace of Gold MAKE WAY FOR THE BAD GUY

welcome to the world of civ 4. you definitly do not need as much cities as civ 3.
    what i usually do is
    1)build capital city
    2)explore with scout/warrior
    3)build worker
    4)build settler
    5)buildings/wonders
    build your second city
    1)archer
    2)archer(for 1st city)
    3)worker
    4)settler
    5)buildings
    build your 3rd city and build this
    1)archer(or better unit)
    2)worker
    3)buildings
    when you get later in the game and when you have the money to (you never want to be below 70% science) build your 4th city. you want to have 8-11 cities total. (if you really can afford it though build more)
    in the early game the best way to earn money is to found a religion. spread it and get a great profit and build that shrine.

good luck:goodjob:

4. allunderheaven

allunderheaven Settler

Don't ever expand too much too early, or maintanence will cripple your economy

5. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

Specialize your cities(if at all possible) into one of the 3 categories:
    - commerce (coastal cities and/or cottages, wineries and plantations)
    - production (forest/hill heavy cities and/or several high hammer yield resources)
    - great people (cities with lots of food available - supplement with wonders)

6. siliconsmileg

siliconsmileg Chieftain

There are some very good guides found on this site that provide explanations of opening moves. The opening moves are very important. After reading a few of the guides I decided to try the worker/worker/settler opening. It's working out pretty well. Lots of chopping gets your first few units/buildings/wonders built pretty quick.

Of course it never hurts to be Caesar and go straight for the Centurions at the start.