CIV 4 BTS Performance problems-steam version

DragQueenOfDeseret

Chieftain
My Steam copy of Civ 4 Beyond the Sword is experiencing hefty performance problems and has done since i first bought and installed it. These 'performance issues' i speak of include incredibly slow processing and just overall stickyness. I am using Windows 10 and it seems that this game can work on Win 10.

I had previously owned a physical copy of the game which worked fine on both Windows 7 and 8 on the very same computer as i'm using now. I hope this helped.

If you need more information, i will provide it.

Tech Forum is probably better option for help

I recently purchased a copy on Steam for a Win 10 machine as I was having issues with running my other version. Ofc, it took me some work to get it running right, and actually the game was crashing. Thing that fixed it for me was making sure Steam was running with admin rights. So right-click the steam executable and set to run as administrator in properties. Ignore the Steam warning if you get one. I don't know but it may help you some to do this bit.

Civ 4 runs slowly over time anyway, but it's the "stickyness" that seems most suspect to me. You can't rule out some other issue on your machine, so some clean-up may be a good idea.

I'd also try a reinstall if this persists. A bad install can certainly cause issues, and it does happen.

Oh..and do not use the steam beta version.

Oh..beta might not be the proper word. There's an unofficial version in Steam that was added to make the Steam version compatible with stuff...I forget the exact reason now..maybe with 10. But it is obsolete I believe. For HOF mod (Buffy) you have to do some crazy tweaking to get it to work.

Top Bottom